WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

peapod and space blanket combo

Heres the deal, its freaking cold in GA right now(coldest its been in 20 years) I have a new peapod Ive never used (Christmas present) Its going to be in the high teens this weekend, and like any sane person I am planning on taking my peapod out on its maiden voyage. (My wife thinks Im crazy!) My question is.......if I put a space blanket in between the bottom of the hammock and the peapod, will I have condensation problems? (Ill be in the back yard so I can always bail if needed!) (we have 3 acres of woods for a backyard, so its actually pretty cool!) I need to get some cold weather nights in the peapod under my belt before I take a real trip. I was planning on using a synthetic quilt as a TQ-----------will I be warm enough on the bottom? I guess there s only one way to find out! Ill let you know!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    You won't likely get condensation in that configuration unless you are close to overheating.

Take some spare clothes to the hammock with you. If you happen to get cold on bottom, layer those in the PeaPod beneath the hammock for more insulation.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    VBs/SBs are tricky, and one person doesn't always seem to have the same experience as the next. That said, I have frequently used a space blanket under the hammock in the Pea Pod. It has always worked perfectly for me so far. It not only increases warmth ( people vary greatly, but I was OK at ~10F one time by adding only a SB), but it keeps moisture out of the pod bottom. I used it for a pretty wet cold week once in the Rockies, and I could not see any loft loss at the end of the trip.

If you do get any condensation, it should just be a few drops on top of the space blanket, hurting nothing.

These cold temps will be a good time to experiment while you can still bail out. But like AS said, at those temps you shouldn't even need a space blanket if you have some clothing you can add. You might still want to experiment, though! Just don't put a space blanket on top of you, unless you really know what you are doing.

Just make sure you have plenty of down pushed down in the bottom and not TOO much towards the ends. Don't hang it too tight and compress loft. At the same time, try not to hang it with too loose with too big of a gap, unless you are going to fill that gap with a down vest or whatever. I almost always seem to have at least a very small gap under me once I am in the hammock, maybe 4-6" or more before I get in. That's what I love about the Pea Pod, it seems relatively forgiving of small gaps under your back, plus a small gap will allow full loft. But have it as close to your back as you think you can without compressing loft.

Are you using a light top quilt(inside the pod)?

Good luck, have fun and be safe!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-07-2010 at 08:29.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I've had great results using a yard of raw Insultex instead of a space blanket inside the PeaPod. It's one of the best uses of the stuff I've come up with.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    What is Insultex and where do you buy it? And yes,I was planning on using a top quilt---------Ill let you know how it works out!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    What is Insultex
    Thin product made of polyethylene with a non-woven facing on both sides, quilted and microperforated. Not sold to the public, made by IDIGear.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    and where do you buy it?
    You just missed a group buy... but I will be glad to provide a yard for your PeaPod... PM me for details.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Update: I slept out last night in 20 degree weather, with a slight breeze------it was amazing, I was actually too warm! The peapod is really cool---glad i bought it! I was wearing thermal underwear, sweat pants and top, a rayway bomber hat and a balaclava. This opens up a whole new world forme---I love winter camping! I did have a few issues with my hammock though, I used my extra long diy speer, and I didnt have it set up quite right. I have a claytor no net coming in a few days and am looking forward to trying it out with the peapod. I would also like to try some stuff sacks on the end of the peapod so the hammock wont be so cramped in the ends. I had plenty of room to sleep on my back, but in the speer I really couldnt lay on my side. I need alot more practice setting the hammock up---might become a weekly thing on the weekends! Also, even with the space blanket on the bottom, no moisture at all in the PP except for a little bit around my breathing hole.

--unknown

• + New Posts