ENO DN
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, EE Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks

Question Keeping the face warm

I find when the temps drop close to or below freezing, the two main problems for me are my feet and my face. Feet are fixed by extra socks and putting a jacket around the end of my sleeping bag (hopefully soon a EE quilt!). But for face, I end up just pulling my top insulation over my head which only works until I shift and a draft come in.

I always wear a stocking cap on my mostly-bald head, but I've always been averse to having something on my face (and my wife won't let me grow a beard!). JRB says they use balaclavas anytime the temp goes below 70°F, so I was wonder if anyone else had any experience with these? I didn't like the stocking cap at first, but now I've gotten used to it and feel naked without it. Wondering if it might be the same with a balaclava?

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    Fleece balaclava is definitely the way to go. Sucks that you can't grow a beard though, they help ALOT.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    My fleece balaclava and my BlackRock Gear down hat are what I were when the temps go below the mid thirties. This combination has worked fine done to around 11° for me but at that point the nose started getting cold.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, EE Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushthezeppelin View Post
    Fleece balaclava is definitely the way to go. Sucks that you can't grow a beard though, they help ALOT.
    Yeah, I had a beard for most of my life. Unfortunately, I met my wife while I was interviewing for jobs, so I was "cleaned up". She now considers that my default appearance.

I was wondering fleece vs wool -- I figured wool would be too itchy but I know some of the merinos are supposedly soft.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I love wool (especially merino for such applications), but acrylic seems to handle the moisture better than wool or polyester. What I mean is when moisture is held in place over my nose I get very cold in those spots, and acrylic limits this better than others. If you have a big issue try a neoprene face mask.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, EE Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    I love wool (especially merino for such applications), but acrylic seems to handle the moisture better than wool or polyester. What I mean is when moisture is held in place over my nose I get very cold in those spots, and acrylic limits this better than others. If you have a big issue try a neoprene face mask.
    I've done a little poking around and found this at my local REI. For $27 (and the hassle-free return policy), I think I'll give it a shot. It's fleece and has the neoprene mask, so hopefully will fit the bill.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    I am not a big fan of the balaclava. With my big head, it is hard to put it on and still have my hat fit. Even if it does fit, the two layers make my head feel squeezed. I prefer a hat, along with a fleece neck gaiter. It is very big and stretchy, so it doesn't feel like it is choking me. I can pull my hat down over my eyes and pull the gaiter up until it almost touches the hat. Works great. Mine is probably 20 years old, but it is similar to this one, i think. https://www.rei.com/product/769865/t...fs-neck-gaiter
    Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.

Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder
    Quote Originally Posted by dfscott View Post
    I was wondering fleece vs wool -- I figured wool would be too itchy but I know some of the merinos are supposedly soft.
    A good merino should not be itchy. You could also look at alpaca. It is softer than most wools and does not have the lanolin. Many people who cannot tolerate wool do just fine with alpaca.

I'm also wondering whether you could just use a shaped hat - like the cowboys used to place their hats over their heads to block the sun. It would provide a little warmth but without the suffocating feeling of something closer to the skin.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by weaver2469 View Post
    I am not a big fan of the balaclava. With my big head, it is hard to put it on and still have my hat fit. Even if it does fit, the two layers make my head feel squeezed. I prefer a hat, along with a fleece neck gaiter. It is very big and stretchy, so it doesn't feel like it is choking me. I can pull my hat down over my eyes and pull the gaiter up until it almost touches the hat. Works great. Mine is probably 20 years old, but it is similar to this one, i think. https://www.rei.com/product/769865/t...fs-neck-gaiter
    Same here. Much more versatile having the hat and gaiter. Or I may use one of those 4-in-1 oversized fleece hoods; similar to a balaclava but much looser and you can adjust the face hole with the cord. You can get them anywhere for about $10.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    I use a 3-hole ski mask like this. It covers my nose without covering my mouth and creating condensation issues. One time I forgot the ski mask, so I pulled my stocking cap down over my eyes and nose, leaving my mouth clear. That actually kept my face warmer than the ski mask, but left my neck too exposed.

As a Boy Scout, I learned the hard way that sleeping with your head inside your bag (or in your quilt) leads to serious moisture problems. I'm not fond of spending long nights in a semi-hypothermic state.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast