Dutchware Chamelon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Coverage in a sleeping bag versus topquilt

Howdy folks. Thus far in my hammocking experience, I've been using bulky synthetic bags at either -20 or 20* ratings. I'm thinking about upgrading to a down option to conserve pack space and weight, and I was wondering people's opinions on a topquilt versus sleeping bag. My fear with a topquilt is, because it's not total coverage, I'm relying more on a good fit on my underquilt, and on a windy night I might be more susceptible to air leaks or cold spots. Meanwhile, I like that I can totally coccoon myself in my sleeping bag if need be, or sleep with it backwards and unzipped like an underquilt, giving me a spot to put my head to initially warm everything up.

Everyone I've met at hangs uses a topquilt, so I think I already can predict responses... my question is, does anyone prefer a sleeping bag over a topquilt? If so or if not, can you explain your thought process?

Thanks!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    There are some folks that do prefer a sleeping bag....they are few and farther between but they are out there. There is an old thread from a few years ago that was a lengthy discussion on the benefits of sleeping bags over quilts. But again that list is relatively short.

With a top quilt in a hammock you end up tucking it in around you and the hammock....the hammock giving you a solid place to get the edges of the quilt in around you sealing them off. You're not only relying on the underquilt but the 2 quilts overlapping and sealing the edges around you. So no drafts should be getting in the edges of the TQ. The main reason that so many of us use a TQ is that it's sooooo much easier to get in and out of, takes just a few seconds to jump up in the middle of the night. There are no zippers to fiddle with, no hood to try and get arranged in the right spot. Just a lot more convenient. But no less warm.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    If you're already using an underquilt, you are only carrying extra weight using a full sleeping bag. Top quilts seal off just fine in a hammock. Your under quilt should come up well past the middle of your body. If it isn't fit up right correctly, you're going to have cold spots anyway, regardless of wind. The TQ in my experience doesn't even really have to be firmly tucked between yourself and the hammock if your UQ is wide enough. I move around far to much in my sleep to guarantee that the sides of my TQ will stay tucked. So I don't usually even bother. My UQ takes care of the rest.

Cheers,
    the Goat
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Images
    If you like your sleeping bag, by all means just use that.

I switched to a quilt even for tent or cowboy camping. I don't like being confined into a mummy bag and i don't like breathing into the side of the hood.

I've slept on the flat ground with just a pad and a quilt in windy, barren places and it worked just fine as is. In a hammock, it's just that much better.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chamelon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    The main reason that so many of us use a TQ is that it's sooooo much easier to get in and out of, takes just a few seconds to jump up in the middle of the night. There are no zippers to fiddle with, no hood to try and get arranged in the right spot. Just a lot more convenient. But no less warm.
    Yeah, I guess I'm forgetting how difficult it is to get out of my sleeping bag liner and bag in the cold when nature calls...

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    If money was no object... I'd own a few of each and then some.

IF you are sold on a gathered end hammock; then a TQ is a good choice and worth the investment.

otherwise you nailed several reasons why a sleeping bag can still be good, especially if you still have a non-hammock use or may go to ground.

Here's a good way imo to look at it...
    In a GE hammock- your insulation is about 2/3rds UQ and 1/3 TQ... making the UQ the key piece.
    On the ground- your insulation is about 2/3rds TQ (or sleeping bag) and 1/3 sleeping pad... so now back to the TQ being critical.

A bridge hammock is about 50/50.

So... my reasoning is that the first piece to invest in with a hammock would be a quality UQ. You can make do with a sleeping bag or other options up top.
    If you're at the point you are committing to hammocks and have made the investment into a good UQ... then a TQ is a logical next step.

Also- regarding your fear- your UQ wraps the bulk of your body, so it needs to fit right. A sleeping bag will be compressed anywhere it is pressed against the hammock- so it can't solve your problems there. You'd be better served with a piece of CCF (foam pad) at that cold spot as you can't compress it. So unless you were in a bridge (or a very big open gathered end) hammock then having "double coverage" on the sides isn't really reality as you crush out the bulk of your insulation on the inside of the hammock. So if you're having UQ problems or need a wider/bigger one to solve that issue; that's the better investment to make than a TQ. In fact your synthetic probably serves you better than down would as it would do a better job than down in terms of compression of the fill (which is why it packs so darned big, lol). So you may magnify your issues by swapping to down up top.

As to TQ vs sleeping bag in general- A hybrid answer coming from a backpacker's point of view- where this quilt dilemma is a bit trickier.

Enlightened Equipment and Zpacks are the cottage vendors better known in the backpacking world and both make a bit of a hoodless hybrid between a full mummy bag and a Top quilt for those stuck in the middle.
    http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/convert/
    http://www.zpacks.com/quilts/sleepingbag.shtml

A slim Convert from EE would still be able to be zipped up in a pinch for an average sized male- but not be so sloppy wide used as a TQ that it would be annoyingly large.
    That's probably the closest to a "universal" quilt as you can buy.

The only real ding I can think of with this type of bag or a any sleeping bag would be with SUL hammocks... it's best to avoid things like zippers or other sharps inside those hammocks. But most fabrics 1.6 oz or higher... a zipper would be fine.

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Try as I might, I can't seem to wiggle down into a sleeping bag while in my hammock, and that is 2x harder if I have my dog with me. I can get into the quilt really easily and get warm. Layering quilts is also pretty easy and I don't feel tight when I have 2 quilts on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I like a TQ better in a hammock but used a bag for a long time.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    Have you considered the Enlightened Equipment Convert? It's a hoodless "sleeping bag" but unzips to be a quilt. I have found it to be a great cross-over product that I have used on cold nights as a sleeping bag when on the ground. Now that I am moving to hammocks I invested in a LLG TQ. I am not sure if I will keep the Convert yet but I do like it for the options.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless -n- Summer Sock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie
    I have been "making do" with a 0F Synthetic mummy for a bit now, or 40F synth rectangular in summer. I want a TQ but am unsure if the next step is the TQ or a lighter tarp. We have slept way more comfortable than on the ground but do experience the challenging entrances and exits mentioned. I may try it as a DIY or go with Arrowhead (we love our Jarbidge UQ's).

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast