1.1 dl vs. 1.7 sl

Greetings forum from the Yukon,

after canoeing down the river for two weeks in the summer with two friends I can't get those hammocks out of my head. one buddy had a hh and I really liked it. every night when I crouched under my tarp on my sleeping pad i rememberd how comfy the hammock was when i had tried it.

so here I am. currently deciding about the details of the blackbird that shall soon be mine. brandon suggests that i either take 1.1 dl or 1.7 sl.

it is not about the weight (175 lbs). thats what i found out so far.
    1.7 sl pros:
    breathability
    a little better flexibility of the fabric (not sure whether that is really true)
    lightweight

1.1 dl pros:
    secure ccf
    windresistance
    mosquitos

I plan on using the bb with a crowsnest and a small ccf for the rest. (don't know how much that will be cause this will be my first hammock)
    I will be using it for hiking and any other activity where you have to carry your own stuff. so far my hiking trips have been not longer than 2-3 weeks but next summer i will probably spent several months i the bb.

How should I decide? As I have no experience I would like to get some input from the massive amount of experience that seems to be floating around this forum. what else should i consider? what are the most important pros for yourself? and why?

thanks for reading
    choppy

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Welcome to the Forum choppy!

If you aren't using a pad under you for insulation, there isn't much reason to go with the double layer IMO. My guess is that even during the summer, the temps are cool at night where you are; correct? If that's the case, you're going to have your underquilt below you anyway which will block the bugs from biting through. Plus, unless you sleep naked (don't ask, don't tell) your clothing will act as a second layer to prevent them from biting through the hammock.

The single 1.7 is every bit as flat as the double 1.1 for me.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    If you aren't using a pad under you for insulation, there isn't much reason to go with the double layer IMO. My guess is that even during the summer, the temps are cool at night where you are; correct? If that's the case, you're going to have your underquilt below you anyway which will block the bugs from biting through. Plus, unless you sleep naked (don't ask, don't tell) your clothing will act as a second layer to prevent them from biting through the hammock.

The single 1.7 is every bit as flat as the double 1.1 for me.
    +1 on this... unless you plan to hang in a mosquito infested area with hot night time temperatures.

A single 1.7 works well for me at 190#, and I use an UQ, even in the summer.
    I my Warbonnet

woohoo, just wrote a mail that i take the single layer. thanks for the help. sometimes it just takes a little push in the right direction

edit: can you close threads in this forum?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Hey welcome Choppy; you'll be real happy with your new BB and crowsnest. Great stuff for your first hammock. I've been happy with mine.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    Just to be a little more clear on the mosquito thing... those pests can get their poker thru one layer of fabric, but not two. The double, having two layers of fabric is considered "mosquito proof" for that reason. If you use a UQ, that acts as the second layer. Its true your clothing acts as a second layer too, but those critters can find the area without the second layer- the back of your neck! In the summer if you are in your skivies, more exposed skin against the bottom of the hammock.

Correct me if Im wrong guys, the mosquito proofing was a bonus feature found on the second layer which was originally designed to place the CCF pad between the layers... did I get it right? Hope my HF education is paying off!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Hmmm. I wonder which came first; mosquito protection or insulation sleeve? My guess is mosquito protection since we always seem to see that style of hammock referred to as a "jungle" hammock.

Permethrin will solve 99% of your mosquito problems in my experience.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Hmmm. I wonder which came first; mosquito protection or insulation sleeve? My guess is mosquito protection since we always seem to see that style of hammock referred to as a "jungle" hammock.
    That makes more sense! (taking notes in Professor Cannibals class)

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    No child should ever be subjected to a Professor Cannibal. Just shouldn't be.
    Trust nobody!

Holla,

I didn't checked the forum for a couple of days and now I find a lot of new answers, although their content is questionable the mosquito issue is definetly serious especially 'up north' last summer i had times when i just wanted to run, but i had to stay calm and continue rigging the tarp. when a cloud of buzzing sound is around you and every inch of exposed skin has hundreds of stings the fun ob being outdoors seems do be on vacation. i had nights when i couldn't sleep because the *******s were making so much noise. thinking back to those times i changed my order to 1.1 double

at least it is winter and the waiting time is okay as i am not going to try it in those temp anyways...

good luck
    choppy

• + New Posts