Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Upset Hammock

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I do have a friend in NC who was in a top loader last winter ( not a Speer, but sort of a Speer type) and he managed to fall out of it while sound asleep. The only dif is, if you fall out of the HH, you fall into the netting. I have now read of numerous people doing this.
    How do you fall out of a hammock while sleep, top loader or not? I really don't get it. No offense but the thing was designed to be tip over resistant, yet ppl find a way to tip over the thing? Was Einstein right?

Is it just lack of situational awareness? Every time I go out for late night runs, I make sure when I get back in that the hammock is up right and ready for entry. And I don't plop down, I easy down gently to make sure things are right. And I don't see how you could fall out while asleep. You're in a cocoon, how do you fall out of a cocoon?

It's like dual ring slippage. Some people complain about slippage, but you can't help but wonder if they're just half assed hanging the hammock and then wondering why it slips.
    Last edited by funbun; 06-20-2007 at 23:51.

Images
    I've move around a lot in a hh. I mean a lot. I westled with a pad, and mainly lost, more than a few times. I didn't turn over. I think it is possible, but hard.

I could see someone roll out of a top loader. I whip the edges on mine pretty loose. I could see someone a lot shorter than me rolling out of a loose side.

On the ring slippage. Mine slip a lot. I can't say I half do anything with my setup. Only once have I hung and had it not slip. I now slip knot it.

It looks like different hammocks for different folks.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    It's like dual ring slippage. Some people complain about slippage, but you can't help but wonder if they're just half assed hanging the hammock and then wondering why it slips.
    I spent an entire day playing with a ring suspension, and it still slipped. I consider myself to be neither ignorant nor stupid nor lazy, but maybe I'm wrong.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    Can't believe I'm defending HH, but I (a fluffy female dino) had to reverse my orientation (get my head where my feet should have been) to exit the hammock head first due to a leg problem. I didn't flip over even though my 'biggest ASSet' was sticking up over the center of gravity in the process. I don't think I could have flipped it without trying.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    I spent an entire day playing with a ring suspension, and it still slipped. I consider myself to be neither ignorant nor stupid nor lazy, but maybe I'm wrong.
    Well, you're probably smartest one of us. And, yeah, dual rings are more convenient than they are secure. But falling out of a hammock designed to be tip resistant? Inverting a hammock where you can only get in through the bottom?

I guess it could happen to all of us. If so then I'd like to know how people are falling out so I won't go out and break my tail bone or knee caps on night.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Well, you're probably smartest one of us.
    Umm...yeah? Sure? It's your story, man....tell it however you want

And, yeah, dual rings are more convenient than they are secure. But falling out of a hammock designed to be tip resistant? Inverting a hammock where you can only get in through the bottom?

I guess it could happen to all of us. If so then I'd like to know how people are falling out so I won't go out and break my tail bone or knee caps on night.
    Lol...I have no idea how it's even possible to tip or fall out of a hammock - like I said before, I've never even come close. The rings are far from a no-brainer IMO, however.
    Last edited by blackbishop351; 06-21-2007 at 09:04.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

How do you invert a hammock?
    I have some theories.

I don't know if it makes a difference with there's a ridgeline involved, but I had my hammock pretty high and tight. I'd sat in it and tightened it twice.

Then I'm in it thinking, "I wonder if I could lay on my stomach?"

Kudos to Hennessy, because I'm right at the weight limit for the Desert Rat.

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    i guess i am also odd person out. i have never fallen out of my eno, even when i hung it so tight and had the down matt fully inflated but, also, the hammock is the only place i don't toss and turn for long
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    But falling out of a hammock designed to be tip resistant?
    In all fairness, you did say the one thing that is pivotal in all this: tip RESISTANT. It's not tip proof. Is tipping over an HH pretty unlikely and probably far from the norm? Sure. Could it happen? Absolutely. Anything is possible. IMO, you're a great deal more likely to tip in a top-loader, of course. But even then, a well designed and made top-loader is very unlikely to tip unless you do something to make it happen such as a very sudden change of position, sitting up too high, etc. So bear in mind, just because something shouldn't happen doesn't mean it won't.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    You have to admit though, the number of times this has been reported is definitely blowing the curve for Murphy's Law

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast