Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Upset Hammock

Upset Hammock

Yesterday I discovered that it's possible to upset an Hennessy Hammock.

It's really hard to exit one through a top slit while trying not to damage the bug mesh.

Images
    Ahh a top loading hh, or inverted normal one. Would be funny to see.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    you're not the first one i've herd of doing that. were you able to spare the bug net from any holes or tears?
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    My wife inverted her hammock first night she slept in her HH ULB.

After everyone got done laughing at her we helped her out with no damage to the bugnet.

I had a buddy try out her hammock one night early this spring and he did the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    you're not the first one i've herd of doing that. were you able to spare the bug net from any holes or tears?
    It's a surprisingly sturdy mesh. No apparent damage!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteWhips View Post
    It's a surprisingly sturdy mesh. No apparent damage!

I did the same thing my first night in HH, last Sept at 10000 feet. While thrashing trying to get in my sleeping bag at 22*, I suppose. Didn't even realize it until I woke up shivering and realized I was laying in (at least partly) the bug net. It was quite the comedy (if anyone had been watching, but not for me), me stuggling to get out of that thing and get to ground on a pad. Then I found my self framed in 2 headlights in preparation for being shot, as I stumbled towards my friends tent at 2am, to place my pad on the only level ground by their tent. They thought I was a bear. It was their first night in Grizzly country, I guess they were a tad nervous. And I was thinking: Please, go ahead and put me out of my misery!

My SuperShelter pad just wasn't doing all that much good on top of me. At least I had really good ventilation underneath me! Not a bit of condensation! I have never come close to doing that(flipping) again. But the amazing thing is that I still hammock, considering the thorough dog cussing I gave the HH ( plus swearing off hammocking forever!) that first night.

There was no damage to the hammock as far as I could tell. And I slept the next 4 nights( in the hammock- decided to give it another chance) without drama. Actually, with extreme comfort. Unlike some of my ground dwelling friends. However, I was the designated entertainment every night as I struggle to set the hammock and stock HH tarp up, with SS, in the rain sometimes, with no oxygen to my brain. I struggled, they laughed. I didn't tell them about the upside down thing, they were laughing hard enough already, I figured! But as I overcame the learning curve, I found that in the mornings, I was the one laughing, while they sometimes had the grim morning expressions of a ground dweller on uneven rocky ground, after an all day hike with heavy pack and with lots of boulder hopping.
    Bill

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    That's some tough netting!

I've never done that but it's nice to know if I do flip while inside my HH, chances are I won't damage anything. Good to know.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

How do you invert a hammock?

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Man...I really must be the only one here who doesn't do acrobatics in his sleep
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    How do you invert a hammock?
    I'm not sure, I've never been able to do it again, but I guess I could if I put my mind to it, which I don't plan to do. But if you think about it, that hammock can be rotated on the ridgeline. So take a pitch black night under the dark colored tarp, so you can't see. Start a death struggle because your freezing and desparate to get in your mummy bag and zipped up. If you don't know how to do it ( I do now, with ease ), that can result in significant gymnastics, and if the thing is twisting around the ridgeline, you can't see it happening.

The Speer is much more of a deep bathtub hang. BUT, I bet if I pitched my Speer pretty tight with little sag, and then got on my side with my back up against the side of the speer, and then flopped over onto that side of the hammock? Well, I haven't tried it, but I wouldn't be surprised if I could fall out. I do have a friend in NC who was in a top loader last winter ( not a Speer, but sort of a Speer type) and he managed to fall out of it while sound asleep. The only dif is, if you fall out of the HH, you fall into the netting. I have now read of numerous people doing this.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast