Fine Tuning New Setup

I recently purchased a JRB Winter Nest to go with my Hennessy Explorer Deluxe (slightly longer and heavier than the normal Explorer.) Last night I took the opportunity of clear skies and 30 deg F low temp to test out the rig. I used a 20 deg F bag (30 deg EN Comfort rating), wore long thermals, a light fleece pullover, and a stocking cap. I expected to be toasty in 30 deg F weather, but in fact was marginally warm enough to sleep well. I woke up chilly a couple of times with a cool butt, but when I changed position and pulled the bag up over my head I warmed up fine enough. Still, not exactly warm like french toast, eggs, and bacon.

I suspect that the UQ was not cinched well to the ends of the hammock, allowing cold air to get between the hammock and the UQ. Also, although I know the entire top half of the hammock is bug netting offering no insulation whatsoever, it bothered me a bit that the bottom entry seam did not "seem" to close completely or as securely as when I did not have the Nest attached. So, I may also consider sealing the Nest to itself, and letting the hammock velcro close the seam as would normally happen without a UQ.

I did not have a mylar blanket between the hammock and the UQ.

I'm looking for suggestions, for a newbie, for improving the warmth of this setup. I'm looking more for "this is how you should set up your rig" than "this is what you should buy or add to your rig." Although, if I'm missing something basic, I'm all ears.

(One more note...the bag I used, the REI Radiant, has received several reviews questioning its rating.)

-Kokomodo

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Kokomodo,
    That under quilt is rated at 10° right? I would recommend getting someone to look at the quilt with you inside of the hammock and see if there are air gaps. I suspect that that bottom entry slit is the culprit but without a visual inspection it's going to be hard to tell why you got cold 20° above the quilts rating. My rule of thumb is +10° where I will get cool if I get within 10° of my quilts rating but I'm a really cold sleeper.

Rated at 5 - 10 deg F, yes. Great idea on the second set of eyes. I'll find some time to set it up and have someone do the adjusting (or, vice versa) and make some notes on how it likes to lie.

• + New Posts