Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 11ft.
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    My own concoction

Fountainebleau State Park

Thought I'd do a quick report on my one night hang in Fountainebleau SP in Mandeville, LA, from the perspective of someone looking to hammock camp there.

First, there are probably a few spots in the improved area where you could find a couple trees in the proper configuration to hang, but you'd probably be stuck between a couple of 30 foot trailers. The actual primitive area (no hookups) is located in an area that drains VERY poorly, and it seems that many if not most of the sites would have standing water and be quite muddy much of the time. Definitely not a place you'd want to camp in rainy weather.

As it had rained two days earlier, my site (#95) did have standing water and was fairly muddy. I did find a relatively dry spot between two trees and got set up for the night, but really had to pick my path in and out to my truck to avoid the mud and water. Nonetheless, by the time I got everything packed up this morning, my shoes and much of my gear were a muddy mess.

Also, don't believe the rates posted on their website. It clearly says that unimproved sites are $14 a night, but the very fine print says there is a "reservation" fee. They charge you this "reservation" fee weather you make a reservation or not, so be forewarned.

IMHO, $20 for what you get is a rip off. Under maintained and overpriced!
    Last edited by La Picker; 02-12-2017 at 16:13.

Hammock
    summer XLC,winter dutch 11' netless
    Tarp
    HG dyneema hex
    Insulation
    HG UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    webbing/cam buckle
    Images
    Thanks for the report. Yup, I stayed at Bayou Segnette SP campground just south of New Orleans in Westwego last year... same deal on the reservation fee even though I did not reserve anything. Overpriced, rude staff, poor drainage, fire ant hills everywhere, and wifi that doesn't even permit streaming video. HA! Made me glad I only stay in pay campgrounds once in a blue moon.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 11ft.
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    My own concoction
    Quote Originally Posted by twentybelow View Post
    Thanks for the report. Made me glad I only stay in pay campgrounds once in a blue moon.
    Same here TB. It was a bit of a desperation move since I had a some new gear that I needed to shake down without driving 3+ hours from the house.

• + New Posts