DH - Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

VIDEO: Jay Cooke State Park - MN - Overnight

In continuation of my 12 month challenge here is my third video. This February a buddy and me spent a weekend at Jay Cooke State Park in Minnesota. It was overcast the first day with some light dusting of snow. The sun of course came out the second day. The temp was around mid 20sºF in the day and 6ºF at night. These trips I usually always like to test a new piece of gear. This trip was no different, I took out a brand new Warbonnet Superfly with the Bushwack camo. I wanted to see how the 20d handled in the cold compared to the Cuben Fiber.

I did have a issue with my vent in the top cover of my hammock. I stuffed a jacket above my head blocking my top cover so all night the condensation built up inside giving me a nice snow fall to wake up to. Normally I have been putting the vent at the foot end of my hammock which is a little higher and it works great with little to no condensation, this time I tried the head end and then blocked it.

Trails:
    Most of the park is ski trails or bike trails. We came prepared to hike both trails starting with the Ogantz first. The trails we extremely well packed and there was no real ice anywhere. The overlooks were so nice and made stopping for lunch that much better. I recommend the Oldenburg Point overlook for a lunch spot. The Carlton trail was closed and detoured on one of the Ski Trails creating a very packed hiking area. It was clear the skiers were not happy about that. We gave up about a mile in when the trail turned away from the river.

Wildlife:
    There was Wildlife around, I saw plenty of Deer both on the Ogantz trail and in our campsite. The nature center puts out corn and birdseed so it was nice to see plenty of Red Squirrels and various birds. A few woodpeckers even showed up.

Campsites:
    Back at camp I was surprised by so many trees to choose to hang from. I can imagine that camp area being a nightmare in the summer. A lot of those lots were so close together I feel you wouldn't get much space. In the winter though there were only a few other campers so it was roomy. We did see a guy hiking to High Landing the backpacking site for a night, he had to cut cross country with snowshoes. So you can camp in the back country there if you like, you just need to call for a reservation. All other sites you can book online.

Here is the video for those interested in seeing what the trails look like and some of the things I mentioned above. Overall a really nice looking park, extremely popular though. Lots of people on the trails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MecLnbkymCU

Hammock
    DH Darien/DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx, HG CF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Looks like a great camping trip. Loved seeing the deer casually grazing near your campsite. I've visited Jay Cooke a few times, but only during summer months. So peaceful looking in winter. Very nice job on the video.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Good job on the video. I've not seen that much wildlife on the trail in years and that was neat to see. I see more wildlife in my yard than I do on the trails these days. Makes me wonder if over hunting has done this.

Hammock
    DH - Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Loved seeing the deer casually grazing near your campsite.
    It was unique to see them all over the park. It is usually rare for me to see that many deer. Very peaceful thought.

I see more wildlife in my yard than I do on the trails these days.
    I would agree to that, I just got lucky on this trip I think. Can't remember the last time I have seen a Buck out in the wild in MN.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG burra
    Suspension
    Warbonnet
    Images
    Wow, I liked everything about your post. Nice extreme temps up there that's fun.
    I like that camo of course.
    Your shooting and editing looked like pro material, dare I say PBS-ish. Which is totally rad in my book. Just love that video man, I'm glad you are doing, from what I understand, a video a month, cool. Can't wait for the next one man. Love to see what array of equipment you use. Well put together sir, thanks for sharing
    Volcanoes and waterfalls, trees and hammocks,
    Columbia River gorge, in Benson Burner's attic.
    http://www.youtube.com/my_videos

Cool man. I wish I lived in a place with real winters. I've had maybe 3 inches so far this year and it's in the 60s today.
    What do you use to shoot and edit your videos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH - Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Benson Burner View Post
    Wow, I liked everything about your post. Nice extreme temps up there that's fun.
    I like that camo of course.
    Your shooting and editing looked like pro material, dare I say PBS-ish. Which is totally rad in my book. Just love that video man, I'm glad you are doing, from what I understand, a video a month, cool. Can't wait for the next one man. Love to see what array of equipment you use. Well put together sir, thanks for sharing
    Thank you for the compliment, I do enjoy editing just as much as the trip I think. and yes I am doing the 12 nights a year challenge. I figure posting the vids may give some hikers a chance to see the park before they visit if they wanted. Kind of like your videos, you made me so jealous of the PNW I had to schedule a trip to go back this spring. Really jealous of your hiking spots.

Hammock
    DH - Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherbrady View Post
    Cool man. I wish I lived in a place with real winters. I've had maybe 3 inches so far this year and it's in the 60s today.
    What do you use to shoot and edit your videos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a different beast camping in the winter. I wish it was in the 60s where I lived now, I'd be out more often I think if it was warmer. I am not as bold as some others on this forum. Those guys are hardcore and I respect that, camping in negative temps can be dangerous.

I film with a DSLR that I also take photos with too.
    Most trips I go for photography shots, figured I would document my 12 nights a year challenge with the same camera since I am already carrying it and since it does video it works for me. Not ideal for weight conscious people though.

Canon 70D 18-135mm lens
    Rode VideoMicro (Mic)
    I edit with Adobe Premiere CS5.

Hammock
    gathered end DIY kit by RSBTR
    Tarp
    ENO Pro Fly
    Insulation
    Incubator30 Custom
    Suspension
    DIY, Dutch Spider
    I was up there this weekend, really feels like spring.
    Homer

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WarbonnetMamaJamba
    Insulation
    Thermarest or CCF
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Very well done video!

• + New Posts