Thread: My Test Hammock

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut
    Suspension
    Button Suspension

My Test Hammock

I've never used a hammock before, but I have heard some great things about them. After reading many websites (Just Jeff's, IMRisk's, etc), Mr. Speer's book and of course this forum, I decided to go ahead and try building my own.

My neighbor across the hall decided to move to another city and left her thread injector. The super gave it too me! I thought why not try? I bought the material, the webbing, some carabiners and some amsteel. I have discovered (or confirmed) that I am not good at injecting thread. I need some practice.

I finally was able to go outside to the parking lot and hang the hammock. I was comfortable lying in it.

I plan on making my tarp next, then onto the quilts. Hopefully I will get better with the thread injecting and test my kit on my next weekend bike trip. I will also be playing around with the suspension ideas. I liked what I have now, but I think a Whoopie Sling might be a better choice. And I am hoping to get some Dutch Clips.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Nice job! Welcome to the addiction.
    This is just the beginning...

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Nice work!

@Alan - what addiction?

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Wow, nice score on the sewing machine... er... I mean thread injector!

Welcome to hanging AND diy! It's very satisfying to diy, and it's really great when it works really well too! Congratulations! You're off to a great addiction....er... I mean start !

Keep us posted as you go!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut
    Suspension
    Button Suspension
    I don't drive, I do everything by bicycle. I wanted a thread injector so that I could make and repair items for my bicycles. I saw a thread injector on Craigslist and asked the super if he could give me a ride, since it was kind of far and would be difficult to bring back home. That is when he told me about my neighbor's. It was a nice score for me.

I'm thinking about adding some kind of pocket on the side. I always have a big glass of water next to me when I sleep. I also think I could keep items in the pocket, like a book, light, etc. What I might do is use the pocket as a night stand, then when I break camp, it can become the stuff sack for the hammock.

I'll probably wait on that. I would want to test the hammock a couple of times and determine the optimal position of the pocket.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou View Post
    I'll probably wait on that. I would want to test the hammock a couple of times and determine the optimal position of the pocket.
    SweetLou, when I put my pouch/stuffsack on my hammock, I realized I probably should have had it on there a tad more towards the middle of the hammock than where I put it. I didn't want it right where my butt might hit when getting into the hammock, but I kinda put it off to the side a tad too much. It's sorta tilting a little.

Other than that, I love having it on there! It's great to have my water bottle handy instead of having the bottle on the ground collecting dirt and duff on the bottom of it! When I'm setting up my camp, I can put the collection of various unpacked stuff sacks in there too, so I can find them easily in the morning!

It's a beautiful thing...

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Great project...welcome to a new monkey on your back!

Re: the pocket, you can also just tie a stuffsack to the head end support. It hangs down into the hammock just above your head. Arrowhead Equipment (I think) makes one with the opening pointed towards your head so it's easier to get to your stuff.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut
    Suspension
    Button Suspension
    I was thinking about using the tarp ridge line to hang a bag, also. I don't know, I think a side bag might be better for me. I'll have to try a couple of things. I did notice that when laying on an angle, the right side of the hammock rose. Probably too much for a bag to be any good.

Any ideas on how to temporarily attach a stuff sack to the hammock?

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    2Q/ZQ have available a ridgeline organizing hanger- 3 or 4 pockets..lightweight and folds up easy.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I use a structural ridgeline and often hang my stuff from there as well...it works. Never tried a side pouch, other than the Blackbird shelf. Some hammocks have them attached to the side to use as a stuffsack, just as you're talking about. I'm sure it'll work wherever you put...if you're like me, you'll agonize for weeks over the best placement for it. Sometimes I guess we should just build "good enough" and go from there. In this case, moving a side pouch is a simple task anyway.

But I overanalyze everything!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast