WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    The same answer I give for staying warm in winter: Location Location Location.
    I like a ridge or the windward side of a hill (on AT usually the west side).
    No tarp is usually preferred, but I have rigged to catch the breeze. Not sure how effective it was, nothing to compare to that night. What I did: tarp in it's usual "A frame" configuration, but with the Windward side as High as I could get, the Lee side about 3' off the ground. I guess it helped.

My underquilt is rigged for quick attachment or detachment. On a hot night, I leave it off, if, as often happens in the mountains, it gets cool, I can quickly attach the underquilt. Even in the dark, I can put it on in about 45 seconds, & it is easily adjusted from inside my hammock.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by lonetracker View Post
    to cool off make sure there is no body parts touching the netting,or single layer of hammock,or a skeeter will bite said parts.
    itchin n scratchin
    bill
    my biggest decision when I ordered my Clark was which to buy the NA or the Tropical. Because I'm so often camping is very humid & hot times, I went with the Tropical, in the white color to make it even cooler. My friend has the NA so we've been able to compair them to each other quite a bit. I've found my Tropical to be a whole lot cooler to be in than the NA!!! So much so that I had to make a summer under quilt and I use it for the entire summer, just had to slip it to the side if I was to warm. Now, on to the skeeter problem... which is actually not a problem w/the Clarks, their material is skeeter proof and I've unfortunately had a couple of oppertunities to test it. Meaning that I was being eatten alive until I was able to get inside my hammock. Then the little buggers totally covered the netting and stayed there, I guess waiting for me to get back out?? The nice thing is that they couldn't bite me through the bottom material! Just had to make sure my arms didn't touch the netting during the night.

One thing you'll need to note... if your gonna have a hammock that's made to be cooler in the summer.... you'll need to use more insulation in the winter to keep you warm. It's a trade-off and you need to look at your camping to see what temps you're most likely to be camping at.

TinaLouise

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    ...I was being eatten alive until I was able to get inside my hammock. Then the little buggers totally covered the netting and stayed there, I guess waiting for me to get back out??
    This might be one of those times when peeing in the hammock would be an attractive option.

Nets are hot. Anytime you can go bare, you'll be cooler. In the right circumstances, a Thermacell might be worth the weight penalty.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12