Tarp
    BWWD v2
    Insulation
    Incubator/UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/DutchHook
    Images

First Hang

Well I had my first hang last night (1/8/10) and in general everything went well.

A little back story, a member here is a member of another forum I frequent (Zombie Squad), and posted something about the NJ Pine Barrens Hang, so I decided to check out HammockForums. I have been toying with getting a hammock for some time now, and this was just the straw that broke the camels back. I took some Christmas money and bought a Hennessy Camo Evador and super shelter.

I decided to test out my rig on Friday night, the weather forecast was calling for a balmy night of 25* and 10 to 20 mph winds. I had originally set up my hammock between the ladder rack of my work van and a clothes pole I thought was adequately installed. This was quickly debunked as I found my self laying on the ground upon entry, as the pole had leaned over under my weight. I found the base of the pole to be inadequately buried. Oh well.

I moved to a tree just on the other side of the fence and changed how the tree huger was secured to my van's ladder rack. I had some fun times trying to sort out the assembly of my system, and I know that it wasn't hung entirely correct. I think I will get it all straightened out at the NJ Pine Barrens Hang. I know I know pics or it didn't happen.

the final hang spot

super shelter setup

my MSS bag

My layers were poly insulated underwear top and bottom, sweat pants, a turtleneck and a wool hat. I used a hunting cushion that traps heat as a billow and a full military modular sleep system. Only the black patrol bag was completely zipped up the other layers were 2/3rds zippered. I was toasty warm with a few cold spots as I settled in, after some adjustment of position all were eliminated.

I pitched the tarp low and close to try and eliminate a lot of the wind from coming in and it seemed to work, I am still looking to get a top cover from Hennessy once they are back in stock. My first DIY sewing... I mean thread injection project is going to be a simple winter tarp.

I experienced a little bit of condensation on the bottom of the pivy sack.

I don't really think this affected my comfort at all.

I also had some condensation between the milar blanket and the bottom of the hammock. I am toying with the idea of cutting a milar blanket to fit the OCF pad and than taping it to the edges of the pad so that it can't shift during the night.

I am thinking this may have been caused because of the sandwiching of the hammock between the milar blanket and the pivy sac. Regardless it didn't affect my comfort in any way.

Comfort Report:

I think I may have even been able to sleep in just the insulated underwear but for a first hang I didn't want to risk it even though the house was only thirty feet away. I experienced two problems with my general comfort. The first was that I felt my feet were up to high. I don't think I had the hammock hung properly and that resulted in my feet being elevated. I think that had to do with the less than I deal scenario in which the hammock was hung. I think this will be correctable when I have two trees to hang between. Getting to sleep was the second. The party the neighbors' kids were throwing while their mom and dad were away kept waking me up every time I was about to nod off. After about 30 minutes my cocoon of warmth over came it and I was out till 6:30 a.m. which is about when I normally wake up. I can say this even with some errors on my part it was the best nights sleep I have EVER had when outdoors!! I am a convert.

Feel free to offer up thoughts and advice.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Bakeel, first off, I gotta really applaud you for doing your first hang in these weather conditions!

Keep experimenting! Each of us is so unique in what works for us and our tolerance for temperatures and how we all deal with moisture and wind, etc.

If you keep trying things out, you will definitely find what works for you!
    It takes some time to figure out the answers to different conditions.

Of course, with all the wonderfully creative minds here at HF, many ideas will be coming down the pike that will be just plain fun to try too.

Congratulations!

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Bakeel, nice report. looks a little moist tho. def needs a mod. thanks for the zombies, I'll check them out.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Bakeel,

Welcome and congrats on your first night above ground and in comfort... I'm sure, as you state, that the condensation did not effect your comfort that night...It will effect you over time...Either in longer dry out times in the morning, heavier carry weights and or (worst issue) reduced insulation effectiveness due to moisture build up.

Removing the mylar and raising the tarp to get some ventilation will go a long way toward a solution.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    or a JRB nest would help as well
    nothing like a good UQ for a good nights sleep

welcome to the world of Hanging...
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Not sure but I think you're my first convert! WTG! Looking forward to meeting you at the NJ winter hang!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dble
    Tarp
    BWWD v2
    Insulation
    Incubator/UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/DutchHook
    Images
    I am looking forward to the PB Hang to see what info and tips others have to offer. I am building my list of thing I would like to experiment with. I am thinking about Whoopie slings or finding/rigging up a means of attachment via caribeaners. I definitely want to get a winter tarp. The variations and types of tarps are so varied I want to look before I DIY or purchase a tarp. Before I would make the move to an UQ I want to give the SS a few more hangs so I can tweak and experiment. I have an REI self inflating 2.5'' sleep pad that I can trough in the mix and I am also thinking about the poncho liner trick for some of the colder temp that I may be hanging in.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HH Sil-Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hey, Bakeel!

Great report, and nice first hang.

I love my HH Undercover and pad for chilly summer nights but it simply is not enough to get you down into deep winter temps. I love my JRB Nest for anything below 50, and was comfortable down to 15 with a Speer top quilt, and polypro set.

The UC simply adds a couple of months of comfort on either side of high summer IMHO.

As far as the Over cover: give DIY a try if you really want one (probably one of the easiest of the DIY projects to undertake), or ask around about the Bear Burrito Oven by Arrowhead Equipment and see if it would fit the HH Evader (plus it would keep your camo theme rolling).

Hope to see you in the Barrens or the ADK.

-Mike

• + New Posts