Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images

New Stormcrow Crowsnest

I can't stop raving about my new Stormcrow Crowsnest under quilt! The package came last night and immediately set it up.

I slept in it last night and it was absolute bliss. Setup was a snap and the attention to detail was superb. There are side loops on the channels where you can attach the hammock to the quilt. The craftsmanship is amazing.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird, DIY hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Stormcrow's quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

I have one on order

Thanks for the pics....I have the crowsnest on order in the grey/green for my warbonnet blackbird. I almost chose the black......I'm sure glad I didnt. I hope Stormcrow has his topquilt out soon.......I will have to have it in matching colors..
    I prefer to LEVITATE between two trees...The Groundlings can have their tents.

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    That's awesome dejoha. Nice looking setup you have. Whose TQ? I have a Winter Ptarmigan on order from Stormcrow and can't wait to get it. Enjoy your hang.

edit to add: Oh, I saw in another thread that it is a Stormcrow Burrow Top Quilt. You lucky dog

stumo
    Last edited by SmokeBait; 01-09-2010 at 22:42.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I did a test in my backyard last night and had some interesting results. The low at my home was around 26°F with a slight breeze. I used the Stormcrow Burrow TQ and the Crowsnest UQ. I wore a cotton sweatshirt, hat, fleece bottoms, and one pair of wooly socks.

Within the first 30 seconds or so of getting nestled in my hammock I was feeling very warm. The Burrow TQ was so warm and radiant I wondered if I'd need to vent it during the night. About two hours into my test, I started feeling cooling areas on my rear and back. I was curious because I was so warm on top (80°F, according to the thermometer watch). I decided to fiddle with the UQ and I found that there was a gap between my hammock and the UQ, which I probably caused as I shifted my feet around.

Admittedly, I'm still new to using an UQ (this is my first real test) and I'm trying to figure out how everything works. When I pulled the UQ close again, I almost immediately felt warm underneath. It was amazing. The UQ is working fine, but there is something in my technique that needs adjusting.

There are two loops sewn in the channels on the UQ in the middle and I'm going to try attaching something there to keep the UQ snug beneath me.

Does anyone have other suggestions on how this all works? I wasn't cold at all, just noticed a few cool areas when I must have pushed on the side of the UQ or foot area which pulled the UQ down. The UQ was toasty when it was snug and I am thrilled that I didn't need anything else to stay warm, I mean hot. The Burrow was absolutely brilliant!!

My hammock is an open, end-gathered type (Grand Trunk UL and Nano to be specific).

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

some suggestions

Hmmm, lets see if we can figure this out. When you noticed the cold spot, was the quilt in the correct position? Meaning, was it slid so that the top of the quilt started at your neck and ended around your knee area? Also, dont be afraid to tighten up the suspension on the quilt. I have been known to leave the shock cord a little long for the variety of hammocks out there. I am also going on the theory that it is always better to have a little more than not enough.

Also, regarding the shock cord, I am currently using a cord lock for adjusting the length of the suspension cord. The cord lock might not be strong enough to keep the shock cord at the right tension if there is too much of it(I'm still testing this method out). Do you know what I mean? If the cord lock does NOT seem to be holding, then you can tie an overhand knot in the suspension at that point and hook it to the hammock at THAT spot. It might take a little more tension on the under quilt suspension than one might think at first to bring it up under you nice and snug.

The tie outs on the side are just there for an option to stablize the quilt if the user feels it is needed. Personally, I have not needed them yet on my BlackBird but people sleep differently so...

Just a few ideas that might work for you. Hope they help. Glad you like your Burrow Dejoha. And for those patiently waiting on yours...(heavy sigh)...I'm going back down into the dungeon again ... I hear there has been some snow in the midwest or something like that. I vaguely remember what the outdoors looks like now.

~SC
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Hammock
    Anything hanging in the living room
    I can attest to Stormcrow's statement! We see him about every 2-3 days, and only for a few hours. The flood of orders around Christmas wrote his future for the next 2 months. Trust me, patient folks, his perfectionist, committed nature is worth the little wait. I'm not "plugging" him, I am just impressed that the man who slacked around any house maintenance buries himself in this art!

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Thanks stormcrow! The Burrow is amazing. It is so comfortable. I love the head section. The baffles are brilliantly designed and I love how much loft area is available to tuck around my head.

I just returned with my kids from the Arizona Group Hang at Fossil Springs (we couldn't stay the entire weekend) and had a blast. I lent the Burrow to my daughter and she did fine until about 5 AM. She's just a little too young to work a quilt and preferred my sleeping bag (I was testing another bag that night). I switched her and couldn't believe the warmth difference between the bag I was using (until 5 AM) and the Burrow.

I did get a chance to test the Crowsnest again last night. The warmth was unquestionable and I still have a hard time believing I am so warm without a pad under me (up to this point, I've always needed a pad of some kind as my primary insulation). I love how easily I can maneuver and not worry about cold spots.

I did try using some shock cord from the two side tie-outs on the Crowsnest, which went over my hammock ridgeline. This seemed to help keep the middle up, but I'll try your suggestion of tightening the shock cord. I slid a little during the night and experienced a little cool areas under my legs, but it wasn't because of the Crowsnest.

When I switched with my daughter, she got the crowsnest UQ too and was able to get a few hours of extra warmth. Her set-up truly was not as warm as mine, and I feel bad that my efforts at keeping her warm didn't work as well as i had hoped. Looks like I'll need to get nests for all my kids!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe 2Q's MOD 3
    Tarp
    Large HH Tarp
    Insulation
    XL 3in self inflat
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by thorwren View Post
    I can attest to Stormcrow's statement! We see him about every 2-3 days, and only for a few hours. The flood of orders around Christmas wrote his future for the next 2 months. Trust me, patient folks, his perfectionist, committed nature is worth the little wait. I'm not "plugging" him, I am just impressed that the man who slacked around any house maintenance buries himself in this art!
    Hahahaha
    Like so MANY of us...He loves the art...Maintenance...Bah!
    Good luck in learning how the furnace works

tOM

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Dejoha, are you using a pad underneath your legs? Or if Im understanding correctly, the burrow is keeping your legs warm enough that you dont need a leg pad? Also, When I was using the Winter Ptarmigan yesterday and playing around with it on my WBBB, I was curious to how tight you should cinch the head and foot end. In cool weather these should be cinched pretty tight to prevent air flow between UQ and Hammock? Is this correct?
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    Thanks for those close up pictures - they really showed the quality of work.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast