Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.7 oz ROBIC XL
    Tarp
    DIY Hex 12, Silpol
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Western Indiana Hang Locations?

I am from Central Illinois and my brother is from Forth Wayne Indiana. Do you guys happen to know of any parks and such we could meet up for a weekend hang? Don't necessarily have to have hiking, but would be nice. We went to Charles Deam Wilderness last time. Which is fine, was just looking for a spot closer for the both of us.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    The I&M canal site in Channahon that we do our group hangs at is a good place... probably an even split and you are allowed to backpack the length of the trail. http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt/PARKS/i&m/main.htm

I recently moved from IL to NWI so still feeling some things out.
    You are allowed to hang at the Dunewood Campground in Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore.

One of these days I mean to check out the Bloodroot trail at Salamonie Lake-- looks like a few folks here are ahead of me, lol-
    https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...-5-amp-6/page2

I'd like to get to Turkey Run area (though that gets crowded) although right up the road is Shades state park which tends to be ignored.
    No idea on hanging there though...

on the IL side- I hear Illini State Park won't allow hanging.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    There's the Kickapoo State Recreation area in Oakwood, IL- which is right on the IN border. I've never been there, but I do know they have camping, hiking, fishing, etc...I've heard good things about it.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG TQ / UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Being from Terre Haute, I've hit a good deal of the areas mentioned above. Most places I go are at least an hour away.

Turkey Run is a cool park, but has no back country camping and I have not tried a hammock in the campground. Shades State Park, a little further east of Turkey Run, does have a back country camping area, but I have not been there yet.

The Bloodroot Trail in northern Indiana is a nice place to hike and hang on a reservoir like Deam. It's about an hour north of Muncie off of I-69.

Even though you said Deam was a little too far away, just east of it is the Nebo Ridge Trail. It has some great places to hang. Especially on Browning Hill at Stonehenge.

You may also consider the Knobstone Trail in southern Indiana. Maybe not what you're looking for, but its another destination.

My group just did Garden of the Gods at Shawnee National Forest this past fall and thought it was nice. Indian Point looked to be a great place to hang for back country. We base camped at the Pharoah Campground and it was pretty good. Its a nice area.

Hammock
    11' Dutch Hexon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Glk3, DIY TQs
    Suspension
    Mltibkles, Dutch
    Images
    The beauty of turkey run and shades is their popularity. That seems counter intuitive, but in this case provides alternate, non-state run campgrounds. I recommend Clements Canoe outside of Shades. I've hung there many times, right on the water. Yeah, it's car camping, but at least we're out!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Purple Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Apex Top Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    I was at turkey run this weekend. Nice but crowded in the beautiful weather. The Ranger recommended shades to us since we didn't have an rv. He said it was cheaper and less crowded. It was a nice place and the hiking was nice but more day hiking than backpacking.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• + New Posts