WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

speer hammock "sweet spot"

I have been having trouble finding the "sweet spot" when I set up my speer---im 6'5" even though my hammock is customized for my height , usually when laying on my side or on my back my lower back ends up aching after a long stay in the hammock (I think because of the way I lay, I think my back ends up kind of twisted) When you guys set up your speer, how much sag do you put in the line-----and do you have any other suggestions? My hammock skills are a work in progress, and I really should have this one nailed by now..............(are there any you tube videos etc that show the proper way tohang a speer?) One more question, when using a peapod, do you hang the hammock differently?
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Steve, I'm 6-4 3/4. What I did was play with the length of the ridgline alot during my initial testing/hanging. I was suprised how much difference a small change in the sag made the hammock lay completely different. I do not have a Speer, so take that with a grain o' salt.

Everybody has their 'spot', all I can recommend is adjust, lay..adjust,lay....until you find YOUR 'sweet spot'. It may take a week to find it, so be patient.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Steve, I'm 6-4 3/4. What I did was play with the length of the ridgline alot during my initial testing/hanging. I was suprised how much difference a small change in the sag made the hammock lay completely different. I do not have a Speer, so take that with a grain o' salt.

Everybody has their 'spot', all I can recommend is adjust, lay..adjust,lay....until you find YOUR 'sweet spot'. It may take a week to find it, so be patient.
    Ill parrot gargoyle...

I was surprised what difference a 1 inch change in length in the ridgeline made in the comfort of my hammock. I think every hammock should have a RL.

Lots of testing... which means lots of naps... and thats good for the soul.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End w DIY Bug Net
    Tarp
    DIY Black Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Lots of testing... which means lots of naps... and thats good for the soul.[/QUOTE]

sorry to butt in: I just think this is very quote worthy

Have you tried something under your knees? That is how I find my sweet spot

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    My Speer is more forgiving than my HH was. I hang it with a lot of sag, equivalent to a short ridgeline. Many people change the whipping on the ends to get it right for them. I haven't done that, but if I did, I would try to eliminate the high sides... it is harder to get out than it should be, and it is not as comfy as a lounge chair as it should be, both because of the high sides.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Speer Hammock IIIC
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    Speer SnugFit
    Suspension
    AHE whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    My Speer is more forgiving than my HH was. I hang it with a lot of sag, equivalent to a short ridgeline. Many people change the whipping on the ends to get it right for them. I haven't done that, but if I did, I would try to eliminate the high sides... it is harder to get out than it should be, and it is not as comfy as a lounge chair as it should be, both because of the high sides.
    Mac,

What do you mean by changing the whipping? The last post above talks about a concave vs convex shaping of the channel ends (whatever that means) -- is this what you are referring to? I agree that the high sides can make exiting troublesome at times.

The only discomfort I've experienced is when the hammock is hung with insufficient sag -- this results in my shoulders being squeezed. I find the center of the hammock as comfy as laying diagonally.

When you and others talk about a ridgeline, I assume you're not talking about the ridgeline that accompanies the hammock to support the BugNet? Because one end is shockcorded to the D-ring on the strap, it doesn't control sag in any way. Thus, I'm assuming you've added a structural ridgeline. Where have you attached this structural ridgeline to -- the hammock ends, or the D-rings on the straps?

Thanks,

FarStar

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FarStar View Post
    What do you mean by changing the whipping? The last post above talks about a concave vs convex shaping of the channel ends (whatever that means) -- is this what you are referring to?
    Yes! The Speer method of whipping pulls in a little more of the edges than the middle, resulting in tight hammock edges and high sides. I suppose Ed does that so that the velcro along the hammock edges does a better job of supporting the bugnet and the Snugfit.

Quote Originally Posted by FarStar View Post
    ...assuming you've added a structural ridgeline.
    No, I don't use a structural ridgeline.

I add one when I use the IX Hammock Sock. That ridgeline is a whoopie sling, and it attaches directly to the whoopie sling suspension.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    Speer Cat 8X10
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Stock & JRB Glides
    Following up on FarStar's post, can you attach a structural ridgeline to a Speer hammock with the stock suspension and bug net? Laying inside and looking up, I can't picture how it is done. Thanks.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Dave View Post
    Following up on FarStar's post, can you attach a structural ridgeline to a Speer hammock with the stock suspension and bug net? Laying inside and looking up, I can't picture how it is done. Thanks.
    Sure! You just replace the stock Speer RL with a structural one. But don't use the same connecting D rings, I don't think they are made for that kind of stress. The net should fit over the new RL OK, unless maybe you are using a ton of sag?

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Dave View Post
    Following up on FarStar's post, can you attach a structural ridgeline to a Speer hammock with the stock suspension and bug net?
    You just keep the bugnet's non-structural ridgeline, and let it sag down below the structural ridgeline.
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast