Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any ideas for a SUL hammock ??

I already have a double layer hammock made from 2 layers of 1.65 oz ripstop, amsteel loops and rings given to me by some nice people here. Also harbor freight straps. I like that strap ring setup because its easy to adjust.

Its comfortable, but it weighs 26 oz.

It is basically 5' x 12' and an Asym parallelogram with 20" cut off on the opposite corners.

Looking to get down to 16 oz total. I weigh 225#.

Is there a light polyester fabric that is more stretchy and more comfortable than ripstop that would work.

Thanks

go from 12 feet to 10. get rid of harbor freight straps, use cord instead, ymmv.

Shorter wont work, IE its a parallelagram asym hammock with 20" cut off each end.

If I nmeasure the shortest distance perpendicular and parallel to the sides it is 8'-8" long and I am 6'-3"

I had planned to ditch the straps to go UL.

Can you do an easy adjuster with rings with amsteel ?? I asume not but thought I would ask.

Hammock
    HH Camo Survivor & DIY GE
    Tarp
    Speer 8x10 sil
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Amsteel whoopie slings are as easy if not easier to adjust. The work really well and are much lighter.

They would work like this:
    Tree huggers with something for the amsteel to loop on, such as a caribiner, a toggle, or a stick picked up off the trail.
    Have the sling permanently attached to the hammock on one end, and loop the other over your huggers' toggle/stick.

The whoopie sling has a variable length, which just slides up and down to adjust. Really simple.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Hey Tammons, you can do a simple suspension with rings and amsteel, it is called the Garda Hitch. Check out Gizzes video on suspensions "Cord" should be at about 5 minutes in.

FYI We have all the supplies for this now in stock

Paul
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    HH Camo Survivor & DIY GE
    Tarp
    Speer 8x10 sil
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    If you don't care at all about bug nets, under quilts, etc. You could probably reduce weight by using some sort of light strong cord and tie it into one of those net hammocks. Zing-it or Dynaglide might work.

If you try this, please post back and let us know how it goes!!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My ripstop hammocks weigh about the same as the thin net survival hammocks i got at the exchange. I guess even the thin cord is heavy when you make a hammock out of it! I was surprised to find that.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    First off, the obvious weight saver would be to remake the hammock with 1.1oz ripstop. Either that or a single layer of our 1.65oz.

You won't get anything in polyester that's more stretchy - polyester is nearly no-stretch while nylon has a pretty good stretch to it.

I have a simple end gathered (like Warbonnet Traveller) in 1.1oz (68"x11') that weighs about 8oz. Add netting and Amsteel whoopie slings and it will still be well under 1lb. But... that's a single layer. I think you could still be very close with a double.

I've also got a fully netted hammock (done according to HC4U's HH clone instructions, just 11' long instead of 10') in about the same weight material as your 1.65oz. It weighs 16oz - including a zipper. Also single layer, but plenty rugged.

If you really want double layer - go with 1.1oz material. You'll cut a lot of weight that way.

(I have a lot of the 1.1oz seconds material - 68" wide uncoated, stealthy green - that I'm going to offer to HF members at $2.50/yd over in the "For Sale" section soon, if you're needing a source for lighter fabric).
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tammons View Post
    I already have a double layer hammock made from 2 layers of 1.65 oz ripstop, amsteel loops and rings given to me by some nice people here. Also harbor freight straps. I like that strap ring setup because its easy to adjust.

Its comfortable, but it weighs 26 oz.

It is basically 5' x 12' and an Asym parallelogram with 20" cut off on the opposite corners.

Looking to get down to 16 oz total. I weigh 225#.

Is there a light polyester fabric that is more stretchy and more comfortable than ripstop that would work.

Thanks
    single layer of polyester ripstop hammock write up here
    basically 11' X 5' and weights 15oz including all suspension pieces....NO STRETCH
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB lightweight Dbl - Blue
    Tarp
    Warbonnet MiniFly
    Insulation
    3 Season Wookie
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Whoopies
    Images
    i thought te-wa had a hammock that was like 8 oz or with suspension. I think that it was called a grand trunk nano 7. not sure if you wanted to make an investment in a new hammock or whatever but that seems like it would be really lightweight.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast