Macat D
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveler
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images

Hammock Shakedown

I'm back trip report can be read here;

Well I'm back. Had an interesting night. Temp got down to 36 on my thermometer. I got into Tagg Run sheleter area around 4 and proceded to set up my MacCat and my hammock. Took alot longer than I expected in setting up. But then again I had to tie cords onto my tarp. There were two guys at the shelter as well. One of whom was sleeping in an Eno hammock. We talked a bit about hiking and hommocking. I showed them my set up with the Nest and No Sniveller. They were impressed and spoke about getting Hennessys as well. About 7 I climbed in with the temp in the high 40s. I did find a cold spot right at the crotch of the slit on the hammock. I had attached the nest to the slit. I disconnected the slit and closed it on the Nest. But I still had a cold spot. I then adjusted the nest. I tightened it, loosened it adjusted the suspension system tighter and looser to no avail. No matter what I did I could not get rid of the cold spot. Luckly since this was a test of my system I had prepaired for any problems. I dug out my sleeping bag and layed on top of that with the No Sniveller on top of me and was finally warm. Athough I was not as warm as I am in my sleeping bag. I also got up once to retighten the hammock. A couple of times durring the night I found myself sleeping on the netting as the bottom had shifted up around the ridge line. At this point I am disapointed in my hammocks performance. I expected more from it. As it stands now anytime the temp drops below 55 I will be going to ground until I can overcome the cold issue. I want to try a pad in the hammock to see how it works. I slept in; Smatwool socks, Royal Robbins convertable pants, Patagonia capalene 3 shirt, North Face Apex jacket, Turtle fur cap. Any hints on how to do better are greatly appreciated. Also any hints on adjusting the Nest. I have read Just Jeffs page, JrB site, Sgt. Rocks site. Pictures are in the trips section.

http://www.hammock.free1k.com/forum/...pic.php?t=8#10
    Last edited by ShakeyLeggs; 10-23-2006 at 18:19.
    A Bad Day On The Trail Is Better Than A Great Day At Work!!!

-.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Definetely take a pad next time. 3/8-1/2. I have basically the same setup as you and was just fine in about the same temps last weekend.
    Not sure why your hammock shifted unless it was because of the sleeping bag.
    It sure does take longer to set up initially than you think it would. Part of the learning curve I suppose.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Re: the shifting: were you using the HH side tie-outs? I've only had that almost-happen once, but I've heard of a few folks actually laying on the netting like you. I think it's caused by rolling over ON the hammock instead of IN the hammock...same way you have to roll inside a quilt, whereas in a sleeping bag you can roll with the bag.

You have to stay in the same place when you roll over on a pad, too - it's just more noticeable when you roll off of it so you automatically get back on. It's harder to notice when you do that in a hammock, and the hanging thing makes it different. Same deal as with a pad, though - I think with practice you'll do that automatically, in your sleep, just as you probably do with a pad on the ground now.

Re: the temps - that comes with practice, too. As you get better with setting it up and such, I'd be surprised if the 3-season set won't easily take you to 40. Keep testing - you'll figure it out.

Next time you get cold, double up the quilts under you and use your bag inside the hammock. Even with a poor fit, that should extend your range quite a bit. And if all else fails, a pad is definitely good insurance until you gain confidence in the system. And good insurance on some trips no matter how much confidence you have - just depends on conditions.

Keep testing and posting, though - you'll be subzero in no time!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Hennesy ULBA
    Tarp
    Macat D
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveler
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Yea I plan on getting a pad and trying that. It is just a little frustrating I hate learning curves. As for the side tieouts yes I did use them. It think what Jeff said about rolling over insted of in is dead on. This weekend was just a quick 1 night in and out. I want to get to the point where I don't have to carry my quilts and sleeping bag. I went the way of the hammock not only for the comfort but the weight savings. And carrying the bag kind of negates that. Once I did get warm and fell asleep I slept like a baby until the one guy in the shelter who was sleeping in his bag on the floor got cold and started snapping sticks to stoke the fire at 4:30 in the morning. Nothing like waking up to hear snapping and see a bright glow outside the hammock when none is expected. One other thing that kind of bothered me was when I layed at an angle inside the hammock I had a tight ridge of fabric running under me at the opposite angle from the end of the hammock to the other end of the hammock. I think I may have not been laying at the right angle in the hammock.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sometimes if the fabric under you is folded it'll get tight light that. Just put your hand under your butt and make sure it's all flat and that can help. (The fabric, not your butt...)
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    HH ULBA, but can't wait to try more
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    Hey Shakeyleggs,

I have to second the use of a pad inside of your hammock. Using it instantly made me warm in temps in the low 30's w/only the nest (underquilt) and my 20 degree sleeping bag. Also, I found that when on the pad, when I wanted to roll over on my side, I grabbed the side of the pad and it allowed me to have some leverage and roll over while at the same time, staying right on the pad. That might help your issue w/rolling inside of the hammock as well.

I also experienced a cold spot at the HH slit, but once I added the pad, either it covered it, or my getting out and back into my hammock fixed the problem. I never attach my nest to the HH velcro, mainly because its a pain the *** to me. Just keep trying man! You've got all winter, and once you get it down, imagine how sorry you'll feel for all those ground dwellers!
    This is my signature.

Hammock
    Hennesy ULBA
    Tarp
    Macat D
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveler
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Sometimes if the fabric under you is folded it'll get tight light that. Just put your hand under your butt and make sure it's all flat and that can help. (The fabric, not your butt...)
    I guess that a flat butt might help as well.

Yea I was thinking that the fabric under me was folded pretty good. But I thought that was ok I guess that I am wrong. Not to be expected I'm still learning. Man I wish I didn't have to work and could be out in my hammock

Hammock
    Hennesy ULBA
    Tarp
    Macat D
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveler
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Hey Shakeyleggs,

I never attach my nest to the HH velcro, mainly because its a pain the *** to me. Just keep trying man! You've got all winter, and once you get it down, imagine how sorry you'll feel for all those ground dwellers!
    I won't be attaching my nest from now either. I already feel bad for the ground dwellers. This weekend I got woke up by one who got cold sleeping on the floor of the shelter and had to snap sticks and stoke the fire to get warm.

Hammock
    HH ULBP with Mod#2
    Tarp
    8x10 Sil
    Insulation
    Nest or HHSS
    Shakey leggs, Glad you got a chance to get out last night. I feel your pain with getting this cold weather hammocking down. Just jeff and some others seem to have it worked out. I want to get out again and try a few things differently. I thought i could get to 30 with nest,and 20 degree bag, but was a little uncomfortable at 44 in that set up. I'm going out again on another shake down either nov. 3rd or 4th or evan both nights if i can swing it.looking at this i was wondering if a few more ounches of down would of helped. my nest doesn't seem to fluff to a full 2 inches all around more like 1.5 i,m pretty sure its the new version as i bought it this year (2 months ago). If you want to join in nov. let me know. i'm waiting to hear from sneaker tramp to see if can make it. By the way your web site is very nicley done .

Hammock
    Hennesy ULBA
    Tarp
    Macat D
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveler
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangman View Post
    Shakey leggs, Glad you got a chance to get out last night. I feel your pain with getting this cold weather hammocking down. Just jeff and some others seem to have it worked out. I want to get out again and try a few things differently. I thought i could get to 30 with nest,and 20 degree bag, but was a little uncomfortable at 44 in that set up. I'm going out again on another shake down either nov. 3rd or 4th or evan both nights if i can swing it.looking at this i was wondering if a few more ounches of down would of helped. my nest doesn't seem to fluff to a full 2 inches all around more like 1.5 i,m pretty sure its the new version as i bought it this year (2 months ago). If you want to join in nov. let me know. i'm waiting to hear from sneaker tramp to see if can make it. By the way your web site is very nicley done .
    The forth looks doable for me. I haven't checked the loft of mine. As you read I was able to get down to 36 with my sleeping bag used as a pad. Now to see if I can get the same results or better with a pad. I also want to get the JrB Weather Shield and give that a try as well. Thanks for the compliment on my site. It is still a work in progress.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast