Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images

Sqidmark's Tree Belt for Two

This is for double hanging with a spreader bar.

I tend to be impatient and get frustrated easily and I've always felt that setting up four tree straps/huggers requires more fiddling than necessary. I decided to try something that would reduce setup time and hassle. It's not really that big of a deal, but this solution seems to suit my druthers.

The main component is 1" 3000lb poly webbing from Dutchware. Next is 3 multi-buckles from RBTR, but I think DH also has them. JRB Triglides may also work if there is sufficient slot clearance, but I don't have any to try. I finished off with 1" 2.2 kevlar from Dutchware for the secondary loops. I already had it on hand so why not? I'd guess that 1500lb poly or dypoly webbing would work just as well (for the loops).

I think the photos make it pretty obvious how this thing is set up.

What I refer to as the main buckle is the one that is used just like a belt buckle except there are no holes and pointy thing. It would be placed somewhere around the "backside" of the tree. The tag end of the webbing just dangles there. The other two buckles I call secondary. Their purpose is to allow for adjusting, to be as far apart as the tree will allow. This is to reduce as much tension on the spreader bar as possible.

If this thing works, it may just be the perfect compliment to Dutch's new Beetle Buckles.

If anyone can think of a reason why this is not going to work, please speak up before it's too late.

THIS HAS NOT BEEN TESTED YET IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM! Hopefully we'll get to try it out tomorrow. Do us a favor and pray for success, or at least a soft landing. I have absolutely no clue how this contraption will behave once fully loaded, it may do something totally unanticipated. If you try this or something like it, your fate lies in your own hands. Don't blame me if you break your neck. If I may borrow a phrase, "You're gonna die!"

You larks head or biner your chosen suspension to the kevlar loops.

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Do the two dangling loops attach to two whoopie slings? I am trying to envision it.

Also, I'm praying that it works and that a soft landing is not necessary.
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    Very clever idea! I like it.

I see two possible weaknesses: (1) Your "secondary" buckles may shift under load, drawing closer together, and (2) your "main" buckle may be pulled apart by your secondaries pulling from opposite(ish) sides.

I've never used the multi-buckles before, so those concerns may be unwarranted. Concern #2 could be alleviated by positioning the main buckle between the secondaries on the front side (nearest your hammocks). Concern #1 could be alleviated with some sewn loops in the 3000# "belt" or perhaps by threading the webbing differently.

Whatever the outcome, keep us posted. I'm a big fan of webbing and buckles and I'd love to find a reason to try those multi-buckles!

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish View Post
    Do the two dangling loops attach to two whoopie slings? I am trying to envision it.

Also, I'm praying that it works and that a soft landing is not necessary.
    Yeah, the two kevlars are for whatever suspension you want to attach.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dscotthep View Post
    Very clever idea! I like it.

I see two possible weaknesses: (1) Your "secondary" buckles may shift under load, drawing closer together, and (2) your "main" buckle may be pulled apart by your secondaries pulling from opposite(ish) sides.

I've never used the multi-buckles before, so those concerns may be unwarranted. Concern #2 could be alleviated by positioning the main buckle between the secondaries on the front side (nearest your hammocks). Concern #1 could be alleviated with some sewn loops in the 3000# "belt" or perhaps by threading the webbing differently.

Whatever the outcome, keep us posted. I'm a big fan of webbing and buckles and I'd love to find a reason to try those multi-buckles!
    With multiple layers of webbing going through the buckle slots, there's not a whole lot of slack. I'm thinking/hoping everything will be tight enough to hold securely. The tag end could always be layed back over the top of the main buckle and clipped into position, for just a little more friction. Yeah, there is no reason the main couldn't be in the front as well, unless the tree size is marginal. But I consider 8" to be the absolute minimum for double hanging.

I considered just sewing the secondary loops on but realized that placement would require quite a compromise. Generally, the wider the better. I doubt the buckles will slide together because the spreader bar will be wider in virtually all cases.

The secondary loops on the foot end could be sewn close together as they don't need to be adjusted apart.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    With a distance of 19', I can't reach high enough to get the strap where it should be, and I'm too lazy to get out the ladder, so the forces exerted on the various components are likely much higher than it would be otherwise. Then again, we're 150lbs or less.

I only made one tree belt so far which is at the head end.

I first sat in the hammock ever so gently, slowly adding weight. I could feel and see a small amount of movement in the belt, but this is normal for initial weighting of the hammock. A bit more weight, then a sudden belt slippage of about 1/4", then another. This was not unanticipated but I did have great hope that the magical bonding powers of friction would be enough to help me achieve nirvana.

I tried the next simplest thing I could think of, folding the belt tag end over the top of the buckle, held to the standing end with a clothespin. Well, I leave it to you to imagine the look of utter dismay on my face as this too proved less than fruitful.

Next I tried dscotthep's suggestion of moving the main buckle in between the two secondary's. Not only did this result in equal disappointment, it also made the whole process more difficult than two separate straps.

I tried tying an overhand in the tag end, right up to the main buckle. This held after it settled and all the slack was taken up. This is not really what I had in mind though, so I persevered onto yet another option.

I didn't think it would be possible, but yes you can actually get three layers of 3000lb webbing through the multi-buckle slots. It wasn't easy but I did it. However it was enough of a pia that I can't see myself performing this task at the end of a long day's hike. Clearly a buckle designed for this particular task is needed. Perhaps a third slot that is open on one end for easy feeding ala adutchable. Bueller, er, Dutch, are you out there?

I clipped the clothespin onto the webbing about an inch in front of the main buckle, so it would be easier to see any movement. Again I slowly sat in the hammock, dutifully watching the clothespin for even the slightest twitch. Nada. No movement what-so-ever. Immediately I could feel that first layer of anxiety lifting from my shoulders. A monumental moment for sure.

Feeling emboldened and in anticipation of joyous accolades from around the world, I summoned my able assistant Mrs Sqid. She gets in the first hammock with a big plop, surely a show of faith and trust only true love allows. Truth be told, she sorta fell backwards into it, but let's not let such trivial facts taint the official story line. I could feel my chest expanding with great pride as I approached hammock #2. With my eyes glued to the canary (clothespin), as the spreader bar leveled and hammock #2 approached equilibrium with hammock #1, I could feel the sudden warmth spread across my face that only a chit-eaten-grin could provide. First myself then the mrs, we lift our feet off the ground. Both hammocks are now fully weighted with no sign of crash and burn. TAHDAHHHH!

Of course photos or it didn't happen right? Feast yer little optic nerves on the following smorgasbord of enlightenment.

Initial setup.

The overhand worked with one hammock loaded, but it's not what I had in mind so I didn't bother trying further.

This is the main buckle after squeasing the tag end through for the 3rd time. Yeah, that's 3 layers of 3000lb webbing through a single slot.

The start point for the 'canary' clothespin.

Not the best angle for sure.

Overview of the whole shebang. It takes the better part of a 15' strap to get around the foot end tree. I used amsteel on a hammock anchor to complete the connection.

The moment of truth, both hammocks fully loaded. Both spreader bar and belt are virtually level. I usually spend a bunch of time adjusting and readjusting the suspension after the hammocks get weighted. One strap usually slides down the tree considerably more than the other causing further adjustments. This time I didn't have to readjust anything. Once perfected, this is going to be great, at least for me.

Finish for the 'canary' clothespin. Doesn't look like it moved at all. Keep in mind that the hammocks were only loaded for a short time.

Hammocks-eye view of this morning's sky.

Here's how spreader bars can fall out. It already happened just before this vid was made.
    Last edited by sqidmark; 02-24-2017 at 12:56.

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    WOW!!! Bravo!

You have some massive trees there too!

I knew you could pull it off. I had no doubts.
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Here's how I looped the webbing through the main buckle. Off the tree it's easy to get the third layer through. The ends of the webbing are of course melted, maybe the one that's still on the tree has a bit of a lump on it that made it more difficult. Pretty sure I would have noticed it though. Or, maybe the slot on this buckle has a bit more tolerance. Will examine asap.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Great job.. and great tutorial for those of us who have never tackled a double hammock setup.

The pipe insulation on the spreader bar is to protect your tarp I assume.. ?
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Thanks. Yes on the pipe insul. I made a post about last year, in DIY I think. Bar end tarp protectors, or something like that.

After takedown yesterday, I was reminded why I hate larks heading strap loops together, at least kevlar. Separating them is like trying to pull cured concrete apart. Afterward I watched Tac's celtic shackle vid and made up four of them this morning. Haven't tested them yet, but I'm pretty confident I'll be much happier.

I examined the belt I used yesterday and found that the very tip did have a burr on it from melting. I remelted it, trying to introduce a bit of a taper. Tested it on the tree this morning and it definitely worked much better/easier. If I keep searching maybe I'll find a buckle a little better suited, but in the mean time this appears to be functional.

80% chance of rain and down to 30* tonight. Maybe I'll get to test it and the 3/4 clews overnight.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast