Hammock
    LSOH Warrior 11' Digi Woodland 1.9
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I store them loosely in laundry-type bags that came with the quilts (Hammock Gear and Enlightened Equipment) but shove them down into the bottom of my pack when I head out. I don't use stuff / compression sacks, but in any case, as others have noted, I've had no problems with the quilts stored loosely at home and then stuffed / compressed down at the bottom of the pack during trips.

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    I have taken to hanging all of my down uncompressed... But that is simply for the first time in my life I actually have a closet with enough height and room.
    I have two down sleeping bags that were fairly high-priced and high quality when they were purchased in the 1970s. Both were always stored compressed in their own sacks... I'm talking as long as five and 10 years between use.
    When I got them back from the kids a couple of years ago, I took them out, shook them between my fingers, tossed them out on the spare bed for overnight, and by the next day they were perfectly fine.
    IMHO~ as long as they are kept dry, once they've been compressed into their own bag there is little or no further damage that can occur.
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    WB Blackbird, WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge and Down
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    I think there's a bit of over analysis going on here. Use your gear, enjoy your gear, don't abuse your gear. This stuff isn't meant to last forever, and it won't. It will outlast most of us, however, if it's not abused.

Just my opinion.
    If your lucky enough to be outdoors, your lucky enough!

Hammock
    GE ; RR ; Vertex ; Tentsile
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Grundelore View Post
    I have taken to hanging all of my down uncompressed... But that is simply for the first time in my life I actually have a closet with enough height and room.
    I have two down sleeping bags that were fairly high-priced and high quality when they were purchased in the 1970s. Both were always stored compressed in their own sacks... I'm talking as long as five and 10 years between use.
    When I got them back from the kids a couple of years ago, I took them out, shook them between my fingers, tossed them out on the spare bed for overnight, and by the next day they were perfectly fine.
    IMHO~ as long as they are kept dry, once they've been compressed into their own bag there is little or no further damage that can occur.
    OK, I think that is the end of the debate ! Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by AScott View Post
    I think there's a bit of over analysis going on here. Use your gear, enjoy your gear, don't abuse your gear. This stuff isn't meant to last forever, and it won't. It will outlast most of us, however, if it's not abused.

Just my opinion.
    Maybe, if you live in the middle of the countryside, but when you live in Paris, where the square meter costs 10.000 $, it is another story.

NB : 1 meter = a little more than 3 feet.

I had a similar experience to Flash with a light weight LaFuma 55* down bag. (They don't even make camping gear anymore) Stored compressed for my kids' entire younger years. Probably 8-9 years without over exaggerating. Used on 3 different trips, including a 53* night, in the last year and had zero issues. Still packs super small and tight, but continues to hit its rating and be warm enough.

Agreed that the construction, not necessarily the down itself displays the most weakness over time. Have compressed and uncompressed my quilts more times than I can count.
    Would be neat to know a compression life span. That said, use the gear. Don't worry about them being compressed for even a week. Especially if not in stuff sack.
    HTH...

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123