Dutch Half-wit Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Clark XL Tarp
    Insulation
    Wookie/UKH custom
    Suspension
    Dutch kit
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    That's similar to what I did. But I had to bridge a larger gap (290cm > 335cm) than you, which makes things more difficult. And I very likely need a much tighter fit than you due to my low metabolism. You might see what I'm talking about when you compare the performance your Wooki gives with the respective Warbonnet hammock and the (probably larger) Dutch hammock when you get close to the end of the/your comfort temperature. That's when a not-quite-as-tight fit starts showing.

By the way - in the German hammock forums there are several threads on DIY Wooki clones touching on many problems mentioned here. If you understand German, it's an interesting read.
    I have yet to actually test the wookie in the wild yet. I've only spent time snoozing on my attic. In 11 days, I'll go on a 3 day trip and certainly test it's limits. Quite certain I ought to have had the winter wookie for this trip, but alas, I decided to order the 3-season one to begin with since we're closing in on spring.
    I'm also a cold sleeper, but sounds like you're in a league of your own I usually add 5 to 10c degrees to my ratings, so I expect to use my 3s wookie for mainly 0 to 5c and above, and get myself a winter wookie (already talking with Brandon about a Scandinavian winter wookie, with a warmer rating) which I hope I'll be able to use between -15 and 0 to 5c.

I did have German in grammar school, but I'm quite certain that wont suffice for that forum

Sorry for hijacking your thread!

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Well i think there is still plenty of oppertunity to innovate here,

I dont really like tradition suspension, as its really tricky to get right.

I am not really into the clew too much cord, also tricky to not get air gaps and i like the sides to hug in on the diagonal lay.

I think the wooki is a step in the right direction and fabric could be the way to go in the future but i dont like that it has a specific lay setup i like things you can hang any direction.

So i think i the next step is still out there i have a few ideas buzzing around my head but nothing solid yet.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
    Tacblades

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Sent a PM with this link to OP.

Thought I would include it here too.
    I've noticed some of the main suspension issues as well. Im only 5'9" and if I have the quilt up snug it does force the foot in due to the peripheral shock cord. I've started to offer the 4 corner suspension with a 5th point in the middle of the foot end cinch channel. Using Line Loc 3's . I've had the 5 points on for a while now and like that the middle 5th can help with the air pocket that might occur under the leg. It also allows the 2 foot corners to not need to be quite so snug. With grosgrain loops along the long edge you can add a couple little bits of shock cord to hold the quilt in place easy enough so it doesn't fall off the shoulder etc. I still leave a length-wise channel in case people want to add a peripheral shock-cord to the UQ's. It's not a new idea, however the Line Loc 3's do make it easier to adjust.

I did try adding extra loops on the foot cinch channel to vary where that 5th point would be (and clipping the Line Loc 3's to it.) but found that as you cinch the end channel up they become pretty close together and don't really alter the location much for the pull direction.

I'm not a clew guy either however this does add an extra point of attachment. One nice thing is if it's a heavier quilt you can bump up the size of the shock cord from 5/32 to 1/8 and that doesn't affect the edges of the quilt on the length. If you have reinforced your corners you shouldn't have a problem with hanging off them. I think this also helps with the differential cut being pulled along the width and up the sides potentially compressing down if the sides are so snug the quilt lifts too high on the sides.

Just another idea. You can see the 5 attachment points in this video I made up for the quilt.
    https://youtu.be/gW0l7kNaJ5U

James

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 11ft.
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    My own concoction
    Don't know if you've tried the Dutch Ridgeline Quilt Hooks, but they really did the trick for me as far as getting the gaps out of my under quilt setup.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    This system I've been playing with works well. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...End-Underquilt
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacblades View Post
    I think the wooki is a step in the right direction and fabric could be the way to go in the future but i dont like that it has a specific lay setup i like things you can hang any direction.
    Yes, that is one of the drawbacks of the Wooki design if you sleep bi-directional Fortunately, I sleep "regular" and it feels weird to go "lefty", so it's not a problem for me. It would be interesting to see if somebody can change the design to allow for different lays without making the underquilt too heavy. The directional design saves quite a bit of weight; I can still hardly believe that my Winter Wooki weighs LESS than my standard sized 20° Incubator! On the German forum, some DIYers have suggested to make the insulated part x-shaped to allow lying in both directions. It would be quite a bit heavier, but maybe it would be possible to save a bit of weight by decreasing the chamber height in the leg area like HG does.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacblades View Post
    So i think i the next step is still out there i have a few ideas buzzing around my head but nothing solid yet.
    I look forward to reading about it. I have a couple of ideas for the following underquilts, too, but I want to start easy with this one and make one change after the other.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Firesong View Post
    Thought I would include it here too.
    I've noticed some of the main suspension issues as well. Im only 5'9" and if I have the quilt up snug it does force the foot in due to the peripheral shock cord. I've started to offer the 4 corner suspension with a 5th point in the middle of the foot end cinch channel. Using Line Loc 3's . I've had the 5 points on for a while now and like that the middle 5th can help with the air pocket that might occur under the leg. It also allows the 2 foot corners to not need to be quite so snug. With grosgrain loops along the long edge you can add a couple little bits of shock cord to hold the quilt in place easy enough so it doesn't fall off the shoulder etc. I still leave a length-wise channel in case people want to add a peripheral shock-cord to the UQ's. It's not a new idea, however the Line Loc 3's do make it easier to adjust.

I did try adding extra loops on the foot cinch channel to vary where that 5th point would be (and clipping the Line Loc 3's to it.) but found that as you cinch the end channel up they become pretty close together and don't really alter the location much for the pull direction.

I'm not a clew guy either however this does add an extra point of attachment. One nice thing is if it's a heavier quilt you can bump up the size of the shock cord from 5/32 to 1/8 and that doesn't affect the edges of the quilt on the length. If you have reinforced your corners you shouldn't have a problem with hanging off them. I think this also helps with the differential cut being pulled along the width and up the sides potentially compressing down if the sides are so snug the quilt lifts too high on the sides.
    That's an interesting design; thanks for posting! I assume that you have made quite a few underquilts, which means that there is nothing inherently wrong with the corner suspension. I might go with additional attachment points, too. I'll have to try out the 5-point suspension and see if it helps with my gap-problems.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by La Picker View Post
    Don't know if you've tried the Dutch Ridgeline Quilt Hooks, but they really did the trick for me as far as getting the gaps out of my under quilt setup.
    Yes, I have tried a few and broken a couple They help a bit, but they also add some problems of their own. It's another part that can break or get lost, and they left not very nice marks on my (integrated) net. After I destroyed the third hook, I switched to mitten hooks, which can be set up in a similar fashion but are a bit more sturdy. But what worked best, though, was hanging the quilt suspension "over" the hammock and clip it into dog bones that were attached to the hammock suspension. That gives an even better / more even seal, but it's also a PITA to set up, because you have to thread the hammock through the uq suspension. Also, I didn't like the shock cords running up so close to my head. They always seem to be in the way when entering or exiting - especially in the dark.

I think that this is only a fix for a design flaw. I'd rather avoid the problem with a better quilt design - if possible.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    This system I've been playing with works well. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...End-Underquilt
    Thanks for posting this - somehow I missed this thread. That's an interesting design that mixes different approaches. I might incorporate some of the ideas into one of my later underquilts, but I would like to keep more to a traditional design with my first try. I'll read the rest of the thread and will probably ask a couple of questions there.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    @Foxpoop - going back over your post I'm now wondering if your nettles are made from shock-cord? On the picture it looks more like solid cord - which might explain why you don't experience slippage.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast