Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY GE
    Insulation
    Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DynaGlide UCRs
    If your load approached 30 lbs I don't know if you would want to go really thin. I have children and can't get out for more than three days at a time so with three days of food and 2-3l of water, I almost never exceed 20 lbs. I use a Zimmerbuilt Quickstep with a 1/4" spacer mesh hipbelt (read close to no padding) and it's fine up to that 20lb mark. Want to know why? Because I don't carry weight on my hips with the pack. It's frameless and works great at 20 lbs or less. If you intend to carry any weight on your hips, the hipbelt HAS to have at least a little structure and rigidity or it will just collapse on itself when you try to put some of that 30 lb load on your hips. If you're comfortable with 30lbs on your shoulders then go for it. My $.02.

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by HoosierT View Post
    If your load approached 30 lbs I don't know if you would want to go really thin. I have children and can't get out for more than three days at a time so with three days of food and 2-3l of water, I almost never exceed 20 lbs. I use a Zimmerbuilt Quickstep with a 1/4" spacer mesh hipbelt (read close to no padding) and it's fine up to that 20lb mark. Want to know why? Because I don't carry weight on my hips with the pack. It's frameless and works great at 20 lbs or less. If you intend to carry any weight on your hips, the hipbelt HAS to have at least a little structure and rigidity or it will just collapse on itself when you try to put some of that 30 lb load on your hips. If you're comfortable with 30lbs on your shoulders then go for it. My $.02.
    Good points. I also can't get out more than 3 days and that's a great long time for me... mostly overnights and if I'm lucky I can get out for two nights. When I'm lugging 30 lbs (to be honest and/or fair) I'm carrying a chair, a bottle of whiskey, 3 liters of water and food, with winter insulation. And that's going full on winter luxury. Spring and summer weight is far less. This will also, more or less, be a warmer weather pack. I have designed it to be able to accommodate more volume than warm weather trips would ever need in case i like it so much that it becomes my full time pack. It's 45l main with an extra long roll top that can expand capacity to probably 55-58l while still sealing off completely. Figuring that way I can stuff all my down in there without completely compressing it.

I think that tears it. I'm not going to put as much padding as in my REI Yosemite, but I'll add some in there for structure. Think 1/4 mesh, 1/4 CCF pad interior should do it. If not, the belt will be removable like a zpacks, so I could even make winter and summer straps and belt. Dangit! Now it's got me thinking again....

Cheers,
    the Goat
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY various
    Suspension
    straps
    I think it would depend on how much weight you're planning to carry with the pack. The heavier the pack, the more you'd need the padding. Also, it might make a difference how wide the straps are. Wider straps might distribute the load better and maybe need less padding (but without adequate ventilation may lead to more "pacne").

mathineer

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I've used basic CCF (from a Walmart sleep pad) strap inserts on both packs I've made. One pack has a hip belt, the other doesn't. In both cases, it's plenty padding for me.

One other thing. I actually have more issues with my shoulders when I wear a pack that's designed to shift weight to my hips. I used to have massive shoulder pain after only a few miles. When I took the weight off my hips, the pain was immediately minimal. I now only use a hip belt to help balance a large load (winter setup, etc.). I know it doesn't make sense, I have no idea why it works, just my .02.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    I've used basic CCF (from a Walmart sleep pad) strap inserts on both packs I've made. One pack has a hip belt, the other doesn't. In both cases, it's plenty padding for me.

One other thing. I actually have more issues with my shoulders when I wear a pack that's designed to shift weight to my hips. I used to have massive shoulder pain after only a few miles. When I took the weight off my hips, the pain was immediately minimal. I now only use a hip belt to help balance a large load (winter setup, etc.). I know it doesn't make sense, I have no idea why it works, just my .02.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Maybe when you take the weight off your hips, you are leaning forward some, hence giving your shoulders a break.
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Just my opinion, it is not the only one that is correct but I would say that the minimal amount of padding without compromising comfort would be a personal thing that could vary significantly based on typical load, typical clothing worn under strap, the amount that you sweat, etc. You will need to experiment to really dial it in. I recommend a removable pad that can be stuffed with different material.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler883 View Post
    Just my opinion, it is not the only one that is correct but I would say that the minimal amount of padding without compromising comfort would be a personal thing that could vary significantly based on typical load, typical clothing worn under strap, the amount that you sweat, etc. You will need to experiment to really dial it in. I recommend a removable pad that can be stuffed with different material.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk
    Yeah... I agree. I just don't have enough material on hand to make a bunch of them after building the rest of the pack body. I don't HAVE to get it perfect the first time out, and I'm making the straps and belt removable. So if it doesn't work out perfectly I can get more material, but it would be nice if it would at least be reasonably comfortable the first time around. I've got the front and sides done, the roll top and the frame and suspension elements all done. I just have to form the bathtub bottom and connect everything, now. Then I have to worry about how to hang it on me. I'm obviously already worrying about how to hang it on me, I guess, but you know what I mean. I don't want to go overboard on padding, but I don't want it to feel like I've tied it to myself with sisal twine.

Cheers,
    the Goat
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    I want to see this pack you are making. Post pics!
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    Wife just said if she could change anything about her Exos, it would be the hip belt. Says the padding is a bit of a turnoff. Not a deal breaker, but would definitely appreciate a little more thickness. I'm sold now. She has never expressed that to me before. 3/8 padding in the belt, 1/4 in the straps. Thanks everyone!

Cheers,
    the Goat
    Last edited by Billy Goat; 03-03-2017 at 08:02.
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish View Post
    I want to see this pack you are making. Post pics!
    I will make a thread on it when I finish. It should be in the next week or so. I took some inspiration from zpacks and the granite gear crown. Imagine if they had a slightly deformed baby, with crooked stitches lol

Cheers,
    the Goat
    Cheers,
    The Goat

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast