Tarp
    Winter Haven 13
    Insulation
    HG, SLD, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Question Overcover Thoughts?

Hello, I'd like to get the general vibe on overcovers. At what temperature would you deem them necessary, or useful? I don't really ever plan on going backpacking in anything less than upper 30's, and I get hot real easy. Do I need an overcover?
    Last edited by Donfish06; 03-03-2017 at 22:04.

Hammock
    Sld TR blck, WBRR 2x
    Tarp
    Rsbtr kit hex 12 b
    Insulation
    Phnx. 40, WL shell
    Suspension
    Dutch buckles
    Socks take care of conditions like wind,, mist, as nuisance rain. They'll also help you carry a lesser tarp. I use mine up to mid 40's and really do help create a good micro climate.

A big winter tarp is similar in function but doesn't boost the temp as well.

You don't need an over cover but they won't hurt. If you want to extend your 3 season quilts they help a lot.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I have an XLC and opted to not get an over cover. Honestly I've never missed having one. If you want to retain a bit of warmth in colder temps just leave the big net on. Considering the temps you plan to hang in, I say you can buy without an over cover.

Images
    I only use covered hammocks these days except for those few times I hang in the heat of summer then I'll switch to a netted hammy.

9562867437_6a446171f4_b.jpg

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I only use covered hammocks these days except for those few times I hang in the heat of summer then I'll switch to a netted hammy.

9562867437_6a446171f4_b.jpg
    What temps are you typically hanging at?
    I'd probably consider an over cover more seriously if I was consistently below freezing.

And do you prefer a sock or the integrated over cover?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    What temps are you typically hanging at?
    I'd probably consider an over cover more seriously if I was consistently below freezing.

And do you prefer a sock or the integrated over cover?
    I'm retired and hang year round. Been collecting hammock kits for a few years now and love both socks and covers they both have their place.

There is a lot of missunderstanding about breathable socks and top cover usage, especially when to vent and by how much.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    ... both socks and covers they both have their place.

There is a lot of missunderstanding about breathable socks and top cover usage, especially when to vent and by how much.

Care to share some of your expertise on these misunderstandings, so that others can benefit from your knowledge?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi Tate View Post
    Care to share some of your expertise on these misunderstandings, so that others can benefit from your knowledge?
    Hi Levi sure.
    The first and biggest mistake is [ The colder it gets outside the more you need to zip up to stay warm ]
    This is asking for a rain or snow storm in your sock or covered hammock.
    Once you hit the temp water vapor from your hot moist breath can condense on your material YOU MUST VENT.
    This temp is not a fixed number. It changes with all the variables of the weather in your part of the country.

For me, a covered hammock really shines in Fall and Spring when it is windy but not very cold (>32F).
    Wind is the number one reason a down quilt looses its heat. With a covered hammock I can use a lighter smaller TQ.
    Same reason to use a UQP. Less heat loss from wind robbery means light/smaller/cheaper UQ saving money and packspace.

A covered hammock also has several other advantages.
    It keeps all your stuff locked inside the hammock. If you have ever been out in a real wind storm you will know what I mean.
    Keeping your stuff at the read. Keeping your stuff from blowing away can be very flustrating.
    Ever woke up and your 60 dollar down sleeping beanie came off your head? If your hammock is zip up it is still with you in the hammock somewhere.
    It did not fall on the ground and blow into the next county.

Dam I'm writing a book anyway I hope you get the idea Levi. It is not all about heat retention. Sock take these ideas even farther.

I wish vendor would have never started using the word WINTER when naming their sock or cover because you can't really use them much past +20F
    unless you don't mind a little snow in the morning or you understand how to vent.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 03-04-2017 at 11:46.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    I've never used either a hammock-sock or cover, but as I mentioned on the other thread, this winter I've been experimenting with nesting two tarps. The main difference so far between using the single vs dual, is that I've had almost NO condensation this winter, even with the outer tarp loaded with snow and pressed against the inner tarp... The little condensation I did have was near the outer edges where the suspension passes through the doors, and on my TQ, near my head, because I pulled it over my head in my sleep and the moisture from my breath condensed there... Warmth-wise, I neglected to get several thermometers to check the difference... There's a difference, but I hesitate to say that it's significant without proof. My experiment isn't complete without temperature readings, but to get a reading between the tarps, I'd need a probe with a wire long enough to reach the middle Ridgeline area, unless they make them Bluetooth.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast