Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I don't own a bridge hammock, but I have tried them before. I find my hammocks more comfortable, so I don't see putting effort into making/using one.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Walhallah 12ft
    Insulation
    LocoLibre/JRB
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    I recently made a bridge because I was curious as well. But I can't say I will make the switch. My reasons include...
    1. I don't feel the sense of security that I feel with a gathered end. The feeling of falling out is very real in a bridge vs a GH.
    2. I move around a lot when I sleep.
    3. Even with wide ends I feel cramped. No shoulder squeeze just a bit cramped. I have wide shoulders
    4. I have no problem sleeping in my side, back, or stomach in a GH

For me I love flopping in my GH and being able to almost instantly get comfortable, I can't do that in a bridge. For me nothing really beats a GH. But HYOH

Texas Hill Country, Canada, Southern Mexico, Northern Alabama
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft double layer
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slings

Why do you not like bridge hammocks?

Sorry for not being able to write about why I don't like bridge hammocks. For most of my years of hammock hanging I've slept in gathered enders. Last year a forum member made me a lite weight custom bridge that I sleep in every night. When camping my 12 ft SLD winter haven [with side pull outs in use] works just fine with this bridge hammock. I like it so much I've commissioned two more from him. Seems to me you just have to come up with the right combination to get that good nights sleep in any situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go...There you are..

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Hum. I have a SLD Winter Haven and it's covers my Warbonnet Ridgerunner perfectly and has taken me down to 11.5° on a very windy night. So I'm confused.
    Attachment 146474Attachment 146475
    Try it will below zero in WI sometime......

Like I said, just got it and the jury's still out. My 11' winter haven was the best fit so far. My son was feeling the wind in a borrowed RR with his Winter Dream.

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    I have used my WBRR and SF down to -9*. While the tarp does need to be wider I find that with a tarp pole mod you are able to hang to tarp lower. I love the WBRR with the lynx setup. No adjustment. Just clip the corners and you're done.

I have also shortened the dog bones on the suspension down so that I can close the doors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheonix6579 View Post
    I recently made a bridge because I was curious as well. But I can't say I will make the switch. My reasons include...
    1. I don't feel the sense of security that I feel with a gathered end. The feeling of falling out is very real in a bridge vs a GH.
    2. I move around a lot when I sleep.
    3. Even with wide ends I feel cramped. No shoulder squeeze just a bit cramped. I have wide shoulders
    4. I have no problem sleeping in my side, back, or stomach in a GH

For me I love flopping in my GH and being able to almost instantly get comfortable, I can't do that in a bridge. For me nothing really beats a GH. But HYOH
    I call this the all night embrace, like someone hugging you around the belly and the main reason I no long use a bridge.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    Try it will below zero in WI sometime......
    Oh yea. I never really rely on my tarp to provide any temperature control. I simply get a properly rated quilt set to manage my temps. The good thing is down this way a Zero set is more than enough for the temps we typically see.

You should get one of these for that region -
    https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...verfill-REEPER

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    LL-40/HG 0
    Suspension
    Becket hitch!
    I have recently revisited my wbrr after learning some new tips and getting a different tarp.... the jrb universal 12 by 10 tarp with the spring pools is the best and i can now use any of my uq on both the ge and rr and no gaps. In the winter i put a make shift ridgeline on mine and hang my winter sock over that, it gives me about 15 degrees abd is worth it, too me the weight is negligible for comfort at night
    To only step where others have stepped means not to have your own adventures. Live, Love, and Adventure so you may leave your own foot prints!

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Well the question is: What do I not like about my RR? The darned set up needs too much room. I carry a smaller light Designs hammock along with my RR.
    On the tarp issue I have a beautiful red Gargoyle tarp, it covers for all and any weather.
    Another point is the simple fact pitching a rain fly takes practice and thought. I was soaked several times before I learned how to pitch my HH stock rain fly.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I own two bridge hammocks, the WBRR and the Eureka Chrysalis. I never slept a full night in the Chrysalis because it doesn't have a double layer and my pad kept sliding out from under me plus the camper sleeve doesn't provide enough ventilation when I needed full bug protection. I have used the double layer Ridgerunner for about 7 nights - some with a Lynx, some with a pad (Therm-a-Rest ProLite Plus and a Klymit Insulated Static V Lite). The main reason why I switched back to my trusty Blackbird was comfort. The Ridgerunner is comfortable, but the Blackbird is simply more comfortable. Add to this the many disadvantages and it didn't make sense to continue using it:

• it needs a lot more space to hang
    • it needs a lot bigger tarp, but that still doesn't provide the same amount of protection as my GE tarp for a GE hammock
    • after 3 consecutive nights in the RR with Lynx I had a neck pain
    • it doesn't pack as small as the BB due to the spreader bars
    • it's heavier due to the spreader bars and the larger tarp (although the Lynx counter balances that to some degree)
    • I found the edges uncomfortable; somehow I often ended up against them with my arms, hips or knees
    • I couldn't really sleep on my side, which would have been one of the main reasons to switch to a bridge
    • I felt more exposed to the cold than with my GE hammocks
    • it's easier to do something wrong (e.g. not put in the spreader bars correctly)
    • I didn't care for the tippyness

I could have lived with all the disadvantages - but only if it had been more comfortable than my GE hammocks, which it simply wasn't. I'm still toying with the idea of building a super wide bridge hammock for home-use to see if I can increase the comfort. The only disadvantage other than a lack of comfort would then be the need for space, since my room is not very large.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast