Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hello + Question

Hey, I'm just getting into things after a few backpacking/car camping trips made me realize I just don't like to sleep on the ground. I'm in Central VA so I don't think there's a lack of places to hike and camp around here, plus the trees are plentiful. Hopefully my wife and I will be out camping a bit once the weather gets above 15 at night...

Now, a quick question. I've been hanging in my basement, trying to get my setup right and practice getting in and out of the hammock and sleeping bag. I've had to stop due to a pretty severe feeling of nausea. I'm prone to car sickness, so I'm hoping this isn't going to be an issue with hammocking. Is it possibly related to being indoors, i.e. still air, close stationary objects directly overhead like a light bulb right in my field of view? Hopefully I can get outdoors and try things out some warm day and determine if it effects me there too. I spent practically a week in Costa Rica sitting in a beach hammock with no ill effects, so that's promising.

Thanks...and hello!

Images
    once you get in and situated, reach out and touch the ground to stop your swinging, that might help.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    What kind of hammock?
    Hammocks that use tie-out don't sway as much. Might be worth looking into if you are still feeling ill once you get outside.

Welcome to the Forum!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    N/A
    Tarp
    N/A
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images
    Do you ever get vertigo? I never did... then one day I started spinning etc. - was not fun.

Turns out I had (have) something called Benign Positional Vertigo (BPV). It has to do with these little "stones" in your ears... changing position quickly or rolling over can set it off. There is a procedure I used (very simple) called the epley maneuver (search youtube) and within a few days I was perfect again! Had I not researched this it is unlikely my doctor would have had a clue - most don't w/ regards to this...

Anywho - just a thought. My vertigo came back once (not as bad) since then and I just did the epley a few more times and viola - all better again.

If this doesn't help you might consider trying to figure out how to dampen the swinging of your rig once you're in it - maybe a bungee off one side to a third object - this should keep the sway to a minimum.

Be well,

George

Edit: Cannibal beat me to it!
    "Hammocks that use tie-out don't sway as much."

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    I to get motion sick. I find that if I close my eyes ASAP and keep them closed, I can muscle through the nausea.

I have overcome a good bit of it over time... but it still creeps up on my occasionally.

warbonnetguy also offers good advice.... reach out and stop the sway...

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    When I first started hanging, I'd be a little dizzy and it seemed kinda freaky at first dealing with the butterflies in the tummy feelings. Once I got used to it and began trusting the hang, it went away, and now I LOVE swaying.

The side pullouts on a hammock can really help prevent some of the movement. Good strong bungee...

Hammock
    1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Welcome to the forum, zer0vector. I've suffered from motion sickness all my life. When I first started using a hammock, the swaying gave me a bad sensation and I worried that it wouldn't work for me. But it's not been a problem. When I get up in the morning, I feel like a drunken sailor (no offense to sailors ), but that's only temporary. I must say that I have worse problems with a bridge hammock than I do with a gathered end hammock. Hang in there (pardon the pun), and I think you'll be OK.
    Dan
    W7DDM

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    If the things mentioned above don't work, you might try "Sea Bands". They look like sweat bands and press on a certain point on each wrist with a small (half pea size) piece of plastic. This accupressure can usually stop the nausea after it has started, which most other easily obtainable cures will not. They are used for sea sickness and general motion sickness.

You can make something similar out of bungee cord and a nut for a screw (one for each wrist). Or you can do it to yourself using a finger on each hand to press the opposite wrist. Put gentle but firm pressure on the inside of the arm about three finger widths towards your elbow from the crease between your palm and wrist. Apply the pressure between the two tendons in the center of your arm running parallel to the arm. There usually is a vein at this point that will just be visible. Hold for a few minutes but be warned - the nausea often comes back when you take the pressure off. Just keep the pressure on to remain nausea free. Easier done with the bands.

Hope you overcome this hammocking challenge. Welcome to the forum.

Hammock
    1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    If the things mentioned above don't work, you might try "Sea Bands". They look like sweat bands and press on a certain point on each wrist with a small (half pea size) piece of plastic. This accupressure can usually stop the nausea after it has started, which most other easily obtainable cures will not. They are used for sea sickness and general motion sickness.

You can make something similar out of bungee cord and a nut for a screw (one for each wrist). Or you can do it to yourself using a finger on each hand to press the opposite wrist. Put gentle but firm pressure on the inside of the arm about three finger widths towards your elbow from the crease between your palm and wrist. Apply the pressure between the two tendons in the center of your arm running parallel to the arm. There usually is a vein at this point that will just be visible. Hold for a few minutes but be warned - the nausea often comes back when you take the pressure off. Just keep the pressure on to remain nausea free. Easier done with the bands.

Hope you overcome this hammocking challenge. Welcome to the forum.
    JayS, this is interesting advice. I assume you also suffer from motion sickness and this works for you? I would like to try it and would just be elated if it actually works. If I were to turn around in circles (which makes me very nauseous after a few turns) do you expect this would work? I guess I'll try ... maybe before I eat dinner tomorrow night. Thanks!
    Dan
    W7DDM

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Welcome to the forum and the hanging gang.... JRB is east of you just off I-64, exit 258 B... Stop by some time.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts