Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Hang Your Own Hang Podcast - Episode 18 (Tentsile)

In this episode, our hosts get a chance to talk about a new take on hanging from the trees – not a hammock, but not a tent. Alex Shirley-Smith from Tentsile shares with us his experiences in designing tents as portable tree houses. With a love of trees in his youth that was inspired by the Ewok Villages of Star Wars VI and a desire for preservation, Alex began a career architecting treehouses. Since then, he’s moved on to portable tree houses – tents under tension, straddling three trees. We talk about the solution and how it might bring the social benefits of tenting to the physical benefits of hanging, along with the obvious value of cupholders in a tent. Finally, Alex shares his concerns about the environment, and how his company is actively trying to plant new forests to offset the destruction of trees around the world.

Mark and Jonathan also discuss the challenges of getting a comfortable, flat lay in a traditional hammock, and have some tips on how to hang at an angle, and how to get that perfect pitch, even for a side sleeper.

Show Notes:
    Check out someone’s tentsile stingray clone that they shared with Ripstop By the Roll: https://ripstopbytheroll.com/pages/c...stingray-clone
    Here is a great link to Derek Hanson’s visual guide to getting a perfect hang in your hammock: http://theultimatehang.com/2012/06/t...mmock-camping/

Acknowledgements go this month to our episode sponsors – Dutchware Gear, specializing in hammock camping accessories. Check out their updated website at https://www.dutchwaregear.com, which now includes products from http://www.makeyourgear.com. Finally thanks to Yukon Outfitters, a Tennessee-based manufacturer of hammock camping gear and a line of outdoors-related products. Listen to the episode for a 15% off coupon code to use at https://www.yukon-outfitters.com!

As always, we are also inviting comments and suggestions here or on our Facebook page – like us there at http://www.facebook.com/hyohpodcast and join the conversation. You can listen to or subscribe to the podcast from a link on our home page online at http://www.hyohpodcast.com or give us a review on our page in iTunes. If you’d like to buy Mark and Jonathan a cup of coffee, go to http://www.hyohpodcast.com/donate to make a one-time donation. As always, thanks so much for hanging around!
    Last edited by captaincoupal; 03-06-2017 at 16:05.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    I'm not in the market for a Tentsile, but I guess I'd take one if someone gave it to me lol. That said, I enjoyed the podcast, although I didn't totally agree with your guest when he spoke about hammocks. It's all good, and I wish him well in his business!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks. I'm totally tempted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincoupal View Post
    Thanks. I'm totally tempted.

What is it about the Tentsile that appeals to you?

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    What is it about the Tentsile that appeals to you?
    Well, I really want to be able to include my spouse who doesn't want to sleep in a hammock in our camping, but I hate sleeping on the ground. This is a big part of the reason I'm swayed. It also resolves the pad vs. underquilt issue as well in that the pad works great with the tentsile.

I suppose the other thing I like is that it really does create a small social/interactive area for down times when you're not sleeping. Again, great for camping with my spouse but doesn't matter when I'm backpacking by myself.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    I can see that in certain and limited situations it would be a fun piece of kit. My concern is finding the three appropriate trees needed along with the empty space between. When my wife and I first started hammocking we tried to find three trees so we could both hang our feet ends from one and then hang our head ends from the other two. That kind of natural geometry is pretty rare out in the wilds, in my experience. That's also why I'm leery about the Clark Vertex (for two people but needing three trees) and the like.

Maybe it would be the thing to get your wife to leave the ground and seek the trees. Have you shown it to her?

Has she ever tried sleeping in a hammock or does she simply refuse?

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Finding three trees for a tensile is not difficult because the straps are about 25' long. A friend has one and whenever we camp, he always has several spots to choose from.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    Chameleon,Yukon double
    Tarp
    DIY RSBTR Winter
    Insulation
    mix of Hg &amp; DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Just like any of the other equipment we use, I think it all comes down to what works for each of us. Whatever makes our time outdoors more enjoyable, is the perfect piece of equipment. For the person that doesn't want to be on the ground, and wants their significant other, or kids right there, this would be great. For the person off on their own, just racking up the miles this might not work

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mbal1856 View Post
    Just like any of the other equipment we use, I think it all comes down to what works for each of us. Whatever makes our time outdoors more enjoyable, is the perfect piece of equipment. For the person that doesn't want to be on the ground, and wants their significant other, or kids right there, this would be great. For the person off on their own, just racking up the miles this might not work
    IOW HYOH! =)

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Junebugdawn View Post
    Finding three trees for a tensile is not difficult because the straps are about 25' long. A friend has one and whenever we camp, he always has several spots to choose from.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    Is that your friend's only camping setup?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast