Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Are you saying instead of or in concert with the IX?
    Sorry, I meant instead of fleece, in concert with IX.
    For anything to work like I want it to, it must drape nicely, and resist compression. Like fleece, or a wool blanket (two things I've been considering using to sandwich the IX.)
    Gotcha! Resist compression... tough to do with a lightweight insulation. Now I understand why you want to use wool or fleece.

Why must it resist compression to work like you want?
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Top & Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Images
    I imagine it's tp ensure a consistent air gap.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Sorry, I meant instead of fleece, in concert with IX.

Gotcha! Resist compression... tough to do with a lightweight insulation. Now I understand why you want to use wool or fleece.

Why must it resist compression to work like you want?
    I'm working on the assumption that compressed insulation is compromised insulation.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I'm working on the assumption that compressed insulation is compromised insulation.
    Of course, but you expect the insulation to resist compression... because it's a topquilt?
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Of course, but you expect the insulation to resist compression... because it's a topquilt?
    No, it's going to go between the layers of a traveller, or possibly under a SB in a single layer hammock.

That's the challenge: to come up with something that approaches ccf in performance, without giving up the comfort that makes me a hanger in the first place. I love the way my hammocks wrap around and cradle me...the temptation is to call it womb-like, but I cannot tell a lie: I don't remember that far back.

It may not be doable, but I'm going to play with it.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    What I have in mind is a sort of "blanket" to place between the layers of my Traveller, to use instead of a pad. I'm imagining something that is more conforming than a pad. Pads, to me, compromise the essential properties of a hammock, resulting in a less comfortable experience.

This hasn't gelled yet...I just got my IX today. Still need to fondle it, and cogitate.

Suggestions, anyone?
    If the idea is that by sandwiching the Insultex between materials that individual do not compress much so as to keep Insultex from compressing, my instincts on that are that won't work instead of a pad. The compression-resistant material will happily pass along your weight force through the Insultex, the counter-opposing force of the hammock holding you up passes through the other compression-resistant material, ya got two opposing forces coming at Insultex, squish.

I did experiments with the Insultex poncho as an UQ shortly after TeeDee flagged that thing as interesting. As others have rediscovered, the IX is highly compressable, and I got cold spots wherever I had compression points.

What might work for Insultex in an UQ is to stick something between it and the hammock body that better adapts to the
    various contours, maybe that's down with the IX being on the outside, maybe its synthethic. Probably need to have the piece next to the hammock be a vapor barrier. I've not been tracking the Insultex chatter so all of this has likely been said and maybe done before. I lost my interest in it when it didn't pan out as a dual-use poncho/UQ.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    As others have rediscovered, the IX is highly compressable, and I got cold spots wherever I had compression points.
    Okay, I'm hearing two different things here.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...x+compressable

Dave

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    ...IX is highly compressable...
    Interesting... I have not used it in a way that compressed it 'locally', over a small area. I have called it incompressible because it feels like it doesn't compress when you pack it.

MrPrez had a similar report, that it performed poorly underneath, with cold spots.

Your description makes sense, though, when you figure that the best use of it that I've found was on the outside of my PeaPod. No compression of the IX, but a tight fit.
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    I agree Grizz. By playing around with material inside the hammock layers, it just confirmed what Mac experimented with. it will need to be either on top or under the hammock with airspace for it to work as intended. I noticed that Duluth Trading Co. has a new insultex jacket out- it uses a thin piece of 80 gram poly insulation next to the IX and provides loft in between layers. Fleece might work if it has alot of air space- like berber fleece instead of microfleece.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    So...IX between the hammock and the hammocker is a bad idea, then?
    Dave

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast