WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    Welocome Prepper!
    I'm so sorry that even though you live in Texas that you have to travel to some country, as you have indicated in your post. Just what country is it that you visit when you go......NOT.....just kidding.

We are all very happy that you have decided to join us for some fire-side chit-chat. It's all educational, fun, and entertaing at the same time. You might find it a little different here then it is on other forums, and that's a good thing.

Sit down...strap in...hold on tight....and more importantly.....whatever you do....don't have a mouthful of coffee as you open a thread to read the next post, because it just might make you blow it through your nose from laughing too hard.

Barefoot Child

P.S. I'm no relation to Frodo's people...that's a different part of the shire.
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Howdy, Prepper from Austin!

If I were starting out, I'd get an inexpensive Eno Doublenest, and start hanging while getting educated about what to buy for your next hammock.

That said, I might never buy another hammock. I'm having too much fun making my own!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    ENO Ember and Bag
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies strap
    Ahem... and I qoute.... There's another new hanger in Austin, you might work with him to get a better response if you take my advice.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=13569

Ask any three hangers for their opinions about hammocks and you'll get AT LEAST four answers.

Comfortable hammocks are like shoes and ez-boy recliners. You're going to need some experience to know that "perfect fit" but it's always best to start at a place where you can try a few on...

If I were you I'd put a call out on HF for a spring hang as soon as the weather suites you in Texas. There are about 50+ Texans on hammock forums. Tell 'em you'd like to try out their setups so you can buy your first hammock and you may even be able to get one of the guys that has a gazillion "extras" laying around who'll sell it to you for a deal to boot.

If you're going to be all hardcore about it and want your first hammock to be a really good one, that's what you'll need to do. Decide for yourself, from your own experience.

If you're looking for a quick start, they have cheap 'travel' hammocks on the internet that will do just fine until you get experienced enough to have a solid preference of your own.

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Prepper, Hi and welcome! I loaned my Hennessy Explorer Deluxe to a friend that is 6'3" and about 250-260 pounds and he said it worked well for him over the several nights he used it. I'm 6' and 190# and it works well for me too. I'm sure some others will chime in with other possibilities. If you are going to do a lot of backpacking then you might want to look for something bit lighter. If car camping, then it is ideal.

stumo

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Welcome, Prepper!

My $.02: If you or someone under your influence can sew, make a basic gathered end hammock to start with. Cheap, and you may find that you never need anything more elaborate than that. Start with a pad for bottom insulation. Ditto on the two reasons mentioned above.
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12