Wrong rope - should I still use it?

So my dad bought me 3 rolls of 49 ft really really good rope. Like this stuff is super thin, but will hold arouns 1500 pounds. However, it is so tightly wowen, that I cant do any loops, whoopie slings or anything like that.

Will it be worth the effort to go and get it exchanged or are all those things easily interchangeble with some knobs and such? I never went hammock camping before and had planned for using whoopie slings for ridgelines and suspension.

I already started using the first roll, before I realised and did a soft shackle with a celtic lock, which holds, but definitely takes up more space than the dyneema ones I saw on youtube...

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    You might want amsteel it's actually amsteel blue--but since it's sold in colors-the word blue has been dropped to avoid confusion.
    7/64 will hold about 1500 pounds
    And I like the 1/8 that holds about 2500 pounds--since knots and splices (especially knots) derate or weaken rope--I choose to use 1/8 since I'm likely to tie a few knots and I never know when my Grandkids will jump in my hammock with me in it. Also sometimes I break the 30 degree hang angle rule and hang a little flatter. If you look up the tables and charts you will see the treemendous stress this puts on your trees and suspension.
    I think the majority of whoopie slings sold are 7/64
    Hike your own hike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I tried changing it, but they didn't have anything like dyneema (Amsteel is only in the US right?) So I bought some metres of a type that was fine for soft shackles and then I used the few metres of Dyneema I had already, to make some locks, to use with the other rope. Its a heavier solution, but we are bikin with a trailer, so it will be okay Next year I will get a billion metres of dyneema...!

Images
    There's a guy in Germany who does nice single braid 2.5mm dyneema. Trades on eBay.
    What is this rope you you are using made from?

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 11ft.
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    My own concoction
    Don't know specifically what kind of rope you got, but it probably holds knots much better than Amsteel, if that matters. Amsteel is great stuff, but one of the reasons that it's so often spliced is because it's so slick that it's knot holding qualities are less than optimal.
    Last edited by La Picker; 03-12-2017 at 11:33.

Dinosaurs. Well some sort of plastic material that I assume is polyester... Just tested the setup for the first time and it worked so I am happy But if I learned anything from this experience it would be that everytime you think you have enough rope - you are WRONG!

• + New Posts