Hammock Bliss Double
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    ENO Ember and Bag
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies strap

Measuring string...

This is probably been thought of many times but I figured I'd throw it out there anyway.

I always carry a 50' piece of cord with me for bear bagging my edibles away from critters.

I was thinking, if you had cord you expect to have around on every trip (like my bear bag cord), you should go out and get some multi-colored sharpies and mark out your minimum and max tree distance as well as markings every foot on your cord. Maybe distance of the tarp tie outs? (color coded hence multi-color sharpies)

Then keep This cord at the top of your pack and when you're setting up camp you can easily and quickly make out the best trees to hang from, how much slack to start with in your whoopies and other whatnots and whoosits.

Any other important markings you all would make on yours?
    Bad idea good idea?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Not a bad idea, but most of us that use trekking poles just extend our arms out while holding the poles. Very quick and easy with no unpacking or even removal of the pack. Once you've hung a few dozen times, you'll be able to pick sweet spots by just looking. But as always, HYOH.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    all that marking sounds like a real good plan....might even work for some...not me though... I am by far the absolutely worst rope thrower!!! Doesn't matter if I can almost reach out and grab the branch, when I throw the rope, it usually goes in some other direction than where I want it to go. Hey, it just dawned on me, you're not marking the rope to tie it up for a bear bag, you're talking about marking it for your hammock???!!! Now I get what Cannibal was talking about... I obviously need another cup of coffee as my brain hasn't engaged it's self today!!
    TinaLouise

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    ENO Ember and Bag
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies strap
    Yeah I was thinking that too, I'm already to the point where I can pick a spot by eye-balling it. but sometimes I come up a bit short or long, or I hang one side higher off the ground than the other. I can see where this might help with all of that. Especially with noobs.

I don't carry trekking poles so there's that.

Have a mark set for hang height and tarp height, one set for min/max tree distance.

I can see where it might help especially on rainy days when all you want to do is get set up and not fiddle with it. You're unpacking as it is, start with the tarp and use your handy measuring cord to get your hammock in just the right spot every time.

I'm thinking of setting up my hammock for a few days (god I wish I had trees at home) and getting it all just perfect and adding these lines to my bear bag cord.

I think I'll work on that and update with a video of the idea. Maybe someone else will find it useful too.
    Last edited by attrezzo; 01-12-2010 at 17:01.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB lightweight Dbl - Blue
    Tarp
    Warbonnet MiniFly
    Insulation
    3 Season Wookie
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Whoopies
    Images
    Wait, what!? Cannibal you measure your distances with trekking poles?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by srestrepo View Post
    Wait, what!? Cannibal you measure your distances with trekking poles?
    I used to when I was getting started. Every now and again I still do, but mostly I just take a look and know if I'll fit or not. Helps that I use fairly long webbing; much more room for error.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I used to when I was getting started. Every now and again I still do, but mostly I just take a look and know if I'll fit or not. Helps that I use fairly long webbing; much more room for error.
    Yeah, I also eyeball. Also use something like 12-14 feet of webbing on each side. Spotting the trees and hanging the right height is just something that will come with time. I would actually suggest not using a measuring rope. Could become a crutch and you won't really learn how to eyeball it correctly.
    "Oh, like an Afghan Warlord"

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    4-5 paces...
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Been there done that.

More bother than it's worth. Getting the hammock positioned properly is not a matter of getting the desired position within inches. There is room for lots and lots of error, er, slop.

Also, it is much, much easier to simply use a suspension method that allows for easy and quick adjustment of position and sag angle than trying to get it exactly right the first time.

As I said, been there, done that and we now simply pace off the tree span if necessary and use the MSLS Whoopie Sling suspension that allows for adjusting everything quickly and easily. Other methods are just as easy and quick, namely the cinch buckle or the ring buckle. Their biggest disadvantage for us is the weight and bulk of webbing and the hardware (cinch buckle or rings) weight. The total hardware in our MSLS is 2 1/4"x1.5" Ti or steel toggles that weigh all of a little less than 0.2 oz. The toggles are permanently attached to the fixed eyes of the Whoopie Slings and so simply cannot get lost.

Hammock
    HHUL & Clark NA & WBBB
    Tarp
    Speer Wintertarp
    Insulation
    SnugFit & Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps, DutchClips
    Images
    Hello,

Not a bad idea at all...
    But may I suggest this?