Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Dakota, bingo. I have a 20degree North Face sleeping bag that is considered a great brand. At 35 degrees with 2 layers of thermals and those disposable hot pads on my feet I was still cold.
    Eventually I read enough about how the Western Mountaineering Alpinelite is the benchmark bag that most everything is compared to do I sucked it up and reluctantly parted with $550 (long rise for me). I mean yipes on that price, right? Odd, in underwear and a t-shirt I'm comfortable down to 25ish, at its rating I'm good with a single layer of thermals. Did I mention I'm a cold sleeper?

A couple weeks ago I broke down and ordered the 20deg burrow and its about the same as the Alpinelite. Sure, a base model car can get you to the same place but the luxury version can do so leaving you much more refreshed to enjoy the destination. Same goes with the gear we use. Quality isn't always measured in dollars but in benefits.
    _____
    Forest Fires cause Smoky Bears

"For the ultimate light weight rig just sleep on the ground in the clothes you are wearing!"

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    gotta love HG...

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    I have a 0* underquilt and a 20* top quilt. I always use a fleece liner for my top because I'm not really a big fan of how the hammock nylon feels. I took my combo down to a windless 7 degrees last month (was supposed to be 15), in a hammock of my own design with a top cover and a bugnet-covered vent. Hammock Gear worked fine for me! I have an ounce or two of overstuff in the top quilt. The only problem was my feet. I didn't have the under quilt in the right spot, so my feet had slid off the end and kept getting cold. The second night was 20 and I had everything fixed, so my feet stayed warm.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Last night was my first overnight test of my 20degree set of Burrow/Incubator. Temps got down to 29 but it was the random 20mph wind gust through the valley that really tested it. I had my DIY 12' winter tarp with doors closed, a DIY underquilt protector, one base layer of thermals and socks with a lightly insulated Aeros pillow. That was it. I got a little cbs only to realize my setup left enough slack my butt was compressing it to the ground (low enough hang for the tarp to be grounded against the wind). Once that was adjusted I nearly sweated at 7am. No condensation or moisture. Good overnight run.
    _____
    Forest Fires cause Smoky Bears

"For the ultimate light weight rig just sleep on the ground in the clothes you are wearing!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12