WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps

Generating Body Heat

I posted this in a kayak paddlers' forum and am still alive. So thought I'd post it here. Please move to Camping Hammocks if a better fit there (but it's not about a camping hammock per say):

I'm posting this because I hear about people being cold. I hope something I say below will "click" with some people and maybe make a "cold night" a little more tolerable.

Along ago, before there was the term "homeless", I spent a winter living in the back of my station wagon. I didn't consider myself "homeless", I just didn't have enough money for rent at the time. I parked near the community swimming pool and for a $1.00 I could get a shower, use the sink to shave, look presentable, and help a community college XC Ski instructor teach her daily class. At night I'd crawl into my sleeping bag in the back of the car. I noticed two things. 1) I was a premie baby, spent my first days in an incubator. So as I lay there, looking up at the glass and metal, it was like returning to "Mom". 2) I noticed that the sleeping bag wasn't giving me warmth, I had to generate that myself. I also thought it was amusing that while others were scraping their windows from the outside, I was cleaning off frost from the inside.

So I started thinking about "heat" and how it can be generated from the inside (inside of me). Nothing especially esoteric, just noting things like if you are waiting for a job interview, or "in the principal's office", nervous about a date, etc., there's a "heat" that is not dependent on the sun. So it wasn't so much a technique of making heat as it was an acknowledgement that it can be done. Each night I got some practice in telling my body, "Time to make some heat."

Have you noticed how people like to say, "It's cold." Well, it is not "cold" - it's, say, 40 degrees. You are cold, someone else might not be. If, instead of saying, "It's cold.", you say, "I'm cold." then you take responsibility for your condition and you can do something about it - like put on more insulation. I know it sounds like just playing with words but I've found that by embracing the idea that I'm cold, it moves me to an active roll in getting warm (generating heat) while "It's cold" puts me in a more passive place.

Story time: Once upon a time, a friend and I were on a river bank and I threw a rock across the river. My friend, a girl, and six inches taller, could barely throw it half way across. She wanted to span that river so first we worked on her form - getting the stance, throwing with the whole arm, then putting more of the body into it. With each "correction" the rock was going further and further across the river - but still falling short.

So I had her make a Grrrrrrr sound; but it wasn't good enough. So while she was Grrrrr-ing I pushed up the corner of her lip, making a snarl. I had her throw with a Grrrr and a snarl and the rock almost made it across.

I told her she had to find her "animal"; there was still too much politeness in her throw. So I had an idea. I told her she had to trust me and had her stand facing me. Then I abruptly pushed her with a hand on each shoulder. Her head snapped back and I could see the "look" in her eye. "That!" I said, "That's the animal; embrace it." Keeping the momentum, I told her to take that rock, grrrrr with a snarl, find the animal, and span that river - And she did!

She was so excited she did it again, and again. At this point I wondered if I had created a monster as the rocks on our side of the river bank were now quickly taking up residence on the other side.

I told her that the animal is always there, but needs to be "trained" a bit so it can be summoned when necessary.

It's upping the level of engagement. And, frankly, I've found it easier for guys to do than women. But it's there; you just have to find it, make friends with it. Use it to do good. And keep warm.

Again, I'm not saying you don't need "warm clothes". I'm saying that all the warm clothes in the world won't help if you don't make the heat yourself. Sometimes just keeping aware of - "I'm cold"; not "It's cold" - helps.

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    Nice idea. Will have to try that mindset. Temps are supposed to drop a little next week when I plan on taking my son camping.
    " No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride." - Hunter S. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Agreed. I've always said that sleeping bags, quilts, jackets, etc. don't make you warm. They merely keep the warmth you already have from escaping. Your warmth comes from the furnace within: you digesting high calorie food.

Eat a high calorie meal before going to bed and the quilts will contain the heat generated form that meal.

Alternatively, (to bring hammocks into the discussion) you could hang your hammock above the campfire. Not recommended!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    I just do 25 jumping jacks before I climb in for the night... maybe a Little hot water in a nalgene to get things warmed up if it's really cold...
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Images
    Any in-hammock exercises you can recommend? (That won't get you fellow campers wondering!)
    I was thinking sit-ups/crunchies, alternate leg raises...

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images
    Any thoughts on spicing up your diet before crawling into the hammock? Seems like spicy foods make my body furnace to run on "high"
    T

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Thanks for this.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I think in many cases it is possible to learn to control your body temperature with your mind.
    Many years ago I read a book penned by Shireley MacLaine, she had traveled to Tibet to learn meditation, controlling her mind/body.
    She wrote about how cold the monestary was and how she learned to generate her own body heat. I found it interesting reading for my teenage mind.
    I still think about that bit of information when I am cold.
    I believe our mind contols our body, I believe as humanoids have evolved, many have lost the knowledge of how to control our brain to manage our body.
    I was employed at The Cross Cancer Center in Edmonton, Alberta, the doctors used the mind as part of their tools for the Cancer fight. Very interesting!
    Last edited by IRONFISH45; 03-12-2017 at 21:20.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 11ft.
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    My own concoction
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    I think in many cases it is possible to learn to control your body temperature with your mind.
    Ninja hammock camping!

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I have cold hands and feet every night.So I'll think about it and let you all know how it turns out!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast