Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwheels View Post
    I have a decibel meter, and design sound systems. "IF" your hypothetical sound pressures were near real world readings, you stated that the cuben tarp is nearly 4 times as loud as a silnylon. For every 3 dbs of increase the sound level is doubled. FYI, if a jet engine produces 110 dbs then 2 would produce 113 dbs.
    So decibel levels are not linear? My example of 65 versus 70 decibels implied that cuben might be 8% louder, but you seem to be saying that if silnylon is 65 decibels and cuben is 70 decibels then a difference of five decibels is four times as loud? Who knew?
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    I own the Superfly and the HG CF WP. Both offer equal protection and have same setup effort.

To me, the CF is noticeably louder during rain event. I take ear plugs to avoid the popcorn popper syndrome. The silnylon SF has a more soothing "thump" noise when raindrops hit it which actually lulls me to sleep.

The biggest advantage to me of the CF is the lightweight - but it takes more room in my pack. I typically consider pack size, hiking distance, and likelihood for inclement weather when deciding which tarp to take on a trip. Always good to have options. HYOH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    My wife I double hang w/ a spreader bar. Our backpacking tarp is a diy xenon winter about the same size as the winter palace and sf. We also have a HG standard w/ doors. For a solo trip I'd take the standard, just for the weight savings. Last year we weren't able to do much backpacking due to my wife's knee injury so we couldn't determine how well she likes life on the trail for multiple nights. This year, if we decide that she's ok with it, I will not hesitate to order a winter palace (or whatever it's called these days). For various reasons I won't let my wife carry more than about 15lbs, which means I'm carrying the balance - so that's why I need a cf. I have a custom arc haul w/ tall left side pocket for tarps which will swallow the WP with ease.

I spent two nights double hanging under the cf standard with my granddaughter, using external pole mods. The first night was a very cool and windy downpour. We survived quite nicely although coverage from the blowing rain was iffy at best. I always wear earplugs when sleeping in the woods so i had no complaints about rain noise. I don't recall if my granddaughter also wore them, but in any case she didn't complain. The following night the moon was bright, I could see it through the tarp but it didn't seem to affect my sleep.

Mostly we've car camped and find our original xenon to be great, but more recently we added another for cold weather. It's a very large custom SLD winter haven, also of xenon, to which I've added internal poles. No backpacking for this little gem!

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Hey that looks great man, love what you did with the pole mods.

Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    My wife I double hang w/ a spreader bar. Our backpacking tarp is a diy xenon winter about the same size as the winter palace and sf. We also have a HG standard w/ doors. For a solo trip I'd take the standard, just for the weight savings. Last year we weren't able to do much backpacking due to my wife's knee injury so we couldn't determine how well she likes life on the trail for multiple nights. This year, if we decide that she's ok with it, I will not hesitate to order a winter palace (or whatever it's called these days). For various reasons I won't let my wife carry more than about 15lbs, which means I'm carrying the balance - so that's why I need a cf. I have a custom arc haul w/ tall left side pocket for tarps which will swallow the WP with ease.

I spent two nights double hanging under the cf standard with my granddaughter, using external pole mods. The first night was a very cool and windy downpour. We survived quite nicely although coverage from the blowing rain was iffy at best. I always wear earplugs when sleeping in the woods so i had no complaints about rain noise. I don't recall if my granddaughter also wore them, but in any case she didn't complain. The following night the moon was bright, I could see it through the tarp but it didn't seem to affect my sleep.

Mostly we've car camped and find our original xenon to be great, but more recently we added another for cold weather. It's a very large custom SLD winter haven, also of xenon, to which I've added internal poles. No backpacking for this little gem!
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    DIY 11' HyperD 1.0
    Tarp
    11' SilPoly Hex
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by poorboystooge View Post
    I agree.

I have a Hammock Gear Standard with doors and I had a SuperFly, but sold it. I would always take out the Standard so I passed the SuperFly on to the next owner.

My thought is that cuben fiber is better in almost every way but at the same time there is nothing wrong with silnylon. If you prefer lightweight backpacking or don't want sag in your tarp, definitely go with cuben fiber. If you're on a budget or want a more durable and compact tarp, go with silnylon.

In my opinion, the translucent nature of cuben fiber isn't really a concern unless you're really into group camping and privacy. The noise with rain is not something I've noticed and I camp pretty often in rain.
    Just how see-through is a cuben tarp? The privacy is one of my biggest hangups when considering a CF tarp, as I tend to be a more private person than "most". So far, all my backpacking has been in tents, and my hammock has only been used in my basement, but I'm looking to gear up for this summer.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ACoffee View Post
    Just how see-through is a cuben tarp? The privacy is one of my biggest hangups when considering a CF tarp, as I tend to be a more private person than "most". So far, all my backpacking has been in tents, and my hammock has only been used in my basement, but I'm looking to gear up for this summer.
    I don't think privacy would be an issue, at least not on the camo. More of a possible light issue, but I wouldn't say see-thru. If anyone is looking that close, they're a total perv

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ACoffee View Post
    IMO, if you are camping at public campgrounds then the translucency of the CF would be a detriment. However, I would question why you need a CF tarp if your primary camping is at public campgrounds. The biggest advantage of the CF is the ultra-light weight when backpacking - and most people aren't overly concerned about privacy while backpacking.

You can clearly see silhouettes through the HG CF green pattern; other colors and patterns may be more opaque.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    Here are a few photos in daylight that may give you a better idea of degree of translucency:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Like the silhouette dancers at the club!

Hammock
    DIY 11' HyperD 1.0
    Tarp
    11' SilPoly Hex
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by hawghangar View Post
    IMO, if you are camping at public campgrounds then the translucency of the CF would be a detriment. However, I would question why you need a CF tarp if your primary camping is at public campgrounds. The biggest advantage of the CF is the ultra-light weight when backpacking - and most people aren't overly concerned about privacy while backpacking.

You can clearly see silhouettes through the HG CF green pattern; other colors and patterns may be more opaque.
    Thanks, I was hoping a CF tarp could be a "one size fits all" type of tarp for both backpacking and public campsites to justify the cost of it, but I guess that may be wishful thinking. I'll probably get a "cheap" tarp for now and keep dreaming of saving those last few ounces.

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Like the silhouette dancers at the club!
    Hahaha, if only I could dance

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast