Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 single, 2QZQ HH, GTUL
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti / Black Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    great advice ramblinrev, that makes sense about the feed dogs not pulling the fabric through, and causing a clump. thicker/tougher material needs tighter top tension. (makes me think of tater tots) thanx JerryW.
    I fully appreciate the advice, and am always amazed by the HF community and how easy and fun it is to get answers from friends that I never met. thanks everyone..

If anyone knows any other good sewing tricks, Im all ears.
    Because you fall through the clouds if you try to lay on them, so the next best thing is a hammock.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    something else I've found with my machine...
    My machine sews really well (even though it's over 20 years old) but... on occasion the top thread will somehow manage to slip out of the (...ummm I don't know what to call those things) but it's all those holders on the top where you run the thread through before the thread gets to the needle. I'll be sewing along and then notice that I've got a rats nest on the back side of the material. Usually all I have to do to fix it is to pull the upper thread out of the machine and totally rethread it back.
    So keep a watch on your upper thread and make sure you're threading it correctly to the needle.
    TinaLouise

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Guides? Fairleads?
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    TinaLouise, I've had that problem, and fixed it by adjusting thread tension. In addition to regulating where the bobbin thread loop ends up, top thread tension also regulates whether the top thread stays in the tensioner!

Another problem with the same solution is when your top thread sometimes gets cut while sewing. Again, adjust the thread tension.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post

Another problem with the same solution is when your top thread sometimes gets cut while sewing. Again, adjust the thread tension.

- MacEntyre
    Hey, I've had that happen too!!! So my thinking that I've got a REALLY super sharp needle isn't right??!!!

so to adjust the tension, do I need more or less???
    TinaLouise

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    Hey, I've had that happen too!!! So my thinking that I've got a REALLY super sharp needle isn't right??!!!

so to adjust the tension, do I need more or less???
    TinaLouise
    Your needle point is not the problem. More likely you have a burr or sharp spot in/around the eye of the needle. Try a brand new high quality needle paired with high quality thread and see what happens.

Tension adjustment for the top thread is a try it and see situation. You should be able to tell when you adjustment is good or which way it needs to go by inspecting the sample stitching you do before you start the project.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    it seem that when I start a stitch, and then reverse to lock the stitch, and then keep going.. I get a bit of a clump of thread just in that place. it looks strong but a bit sloppy. is there a trick for that?
    Sonic, this week I just sewed four blaze orange pack covers from silnylon and had the same problem. I partially solved it by turning the fabric around 180 degrees, instead of using the "reverse" lever on my machine. That meant the cogs were always going forward. It seemed to help in my case.

Now, today and this weekend, it's on to sewing myself a "rain skirt" to keep my hiking shorts dry without having to stop and pull on hot rain pants over muddy boots. Okay, so it's really just a silnylon kilt! LOL

Rain Man

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Sonic, this week I just sewed four blaze orange pack covers from silnylon and had the same problem. I partially solved it by turning the fabric around 180 degrees, instead of using the "reverse" lever on my machine. That meant the cogs were always going forward. It seemed to help in my case.

Rain Man

A quicker and easier workaround would be to do the old industrial machine technique from before machines were made with reverse. Stitch a few stitches (5-8) raise the needle and presser foot and pull the fabric back to where you started stitching. Stitch over the previous stitches and continue along the seam. For all intents and purposes it is as strong as the now standard forward reverse technique. Once you are used to it it is very fast and easy.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Sonic, I've had good luck with starting the stitch in reverse, then allowing the machine to run the rest of the way in forward, on its own. Set up some scraps and do some tests. All good advice you've recieved, so far.

I set the presser foot down about an inch or less, from the edge, click "reverse", run back to my edge, and then go forward.
    Just a different technique, give it a try. Go slow, it has helped, a leadfoot on the pedal at start-up is not a good practice.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 single, 2QZQ HH, GTUL
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti / Black Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    For me, not starting on the edge has helped the clumping. and keeping the throttle slow for the forward/reverse/forward or locking i guess you call it. and vrooom im off. I also think I have the tension dialed in a bit better now as Ive had a few days to use the awesome advice from everybody, and adjust on things and examine the stitches. I spent way to long in the sewing department at walmart looking for ripstop of any kind, nothing. But the funny looks are fun. I love breaking stereotypes. hey, sewing shops might be a good place to meet a lady!! nice girls sew right?
    Because you fall through the clouds if you try to lay on them, so the next best thing is a hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast