Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Just don't sleep under a train.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    Modified ENO Single
    Tarp
    DIY ???
    Insulation
    Quilt & Sleep Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by vitamaltz View Post
    Just don't sleep under a train.
    Ha, always good advice.
    Some of my freight hopping adventures on film over at my YouTube Channel... Oh and there is other stuff there as well!

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE prototype hex
    Insulation
    Leighlo hi and low
    Suspension
    strap/ring buckle
    Or in a train tunnel. I know of a kayaker who did that. He is no longer kayaking...
    The gene pool needs a life guard.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut
    Suspension
    Button Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Depends on who you are.
    HappyCamper gave you the definition that I generally apply to the term, but another popular definition is to camp where you are not supposed to camp. State Parks here in Colorado are stealth camps for me. Hanging my hammock and sleeping the night away on a golf course in Florida during a business trip was MOST DEFINITELY stealth camping; it was both illegal and well hidden. But of course, very cool when the security golf cart drove past me about 20' away every hour or so and still never saw me.
    I disagree with the definition that is camping where you are not suppose to camp. Stealth camping is a technique that can be done either legally or illegally.

For me, I like stealth camping because I don't want to be bothered. I like being able to ride my bicycle and stop wherever I see a good spot for the evening.

This gives me a lot of freedom. I don't have to be like other tourists that have to be on a schedule to get to their campsite by sundown. Hammock stealth camping should give me more options on the places I can stealth camp. If I take a wrong turn or decide to go somewhere else, I don't have to worry about finding a campsite for the night, I can just keep riding until I see a location that I like.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou View Post
    I disagree with the definition that is camping where you are not suppose to camp. Stealth camping is a technique that can be done either legally or illegally.

For me, I like stealth camping because I don't want to be bothered. I like being able to ride my bicycle and stop wherever I see a good spot for the evening.

This gives me a lot of freedom. I don't have to be like other tourists that have to be on a schedule to get to their campsite by sundown. Hammock stealth camping should give me more options on the places I can stealth camp. If I take a wrong turn or decide to go somewhere else, I don't have to worry about finding a campsite for the night, I can just keep riding until I see a location that I like.
    +1, thats how i like to view it also.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    my DIY hammock
    Tarp
    my DIY tarp

Thumbs up Thanks for the responses

Wow! I really didn't expect to get so many responses so quickly. But all of your answers helped me out a lot.

When stealth camping where one might not be welcome (hint, hint), what is the best method for cooking? Use an alcohol stove, MRE's, ???

Hammock
    HH ULBA
    Tarp
    Aus. army hootchie
    Insulation
    poncho liner
    Images
    +2

Stealth camping is not only about blending in with your environment, it's about making as little environmental impact as possible. When you break camp, pretend that someone is tracking you - is your hang out spot easy for someone to find? Disturbed vegetation, litter and marks in the soil?

I don't know what the US military is like, but in the Australian Army, the bulk of our nights spent out bush were stealth camping.

Be invisible, then leave no trace.

Opie, the best methods of cooking while stealth camping are MREs with flameless ration heaters, followed by a gas or alcohol stove. Don't cook in the dark and if you are being stealthy due to possible dangerous animals, don't cook in your camp site, rather stop a few hours before dark and cook up your culinary masterpiece on the trail. Don't breakfast in the campsite either, walk aways first.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by opie984 View Post
    When stealth camping where one might not be welcome (hint, hint), what is the best method for cooking? Use an alcohol stove, MRE's, ???
    MREs would be the best for true stealth, but the flame from an alky stove isn't visible from very far away. Use natural shelter like a row of bushes if you're really concerned. I stealthed all over the place when I lived in Florida, never once got 'caught'. Palmettos make excellent cover and block most of your light. Red light headlamps come in very handy for such camps.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Modified ENO Single
    Tarp
    DIY ???
    Insulation
    Quilt & Sleep Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by mclmm View Post
    Opie, the best methods of cooking while stealth camping are MREs with flameless ration heaters, followed by a gas or alcohol stove. Don't cook in the dark and if you are being stealthy due to possible dangerous animals, don't cook in your camp site, rather stop a few hours before dark and cook up your culinary masterpiece on the trail. Don't breakfast in the campsite either, walk aways first.
    You stole the words out of my mouth.
    Some of my freight hopping adventures on film over at my YouTube Channel... Oh and there is other stuff there as well!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    MREs would be the best for true stealth, but the flame from an alky stove isn't visible from very far away.
    Esp. with windscreen around it.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast