Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Structural ridgeline on an ENO

While on a 2 week trip recently, I set up a structural ridgeline on my ENO. Didn't do a very good job of it since it was done with supplies on hand though. I've made a better one, and figured I would post it to give others ideas. The ridgeling is made form 3mm Samson line from APS rated at 2000 lbs. breaking strength. I cut the line a foot longer than where I wanted my hammock to attach on each end. Then on each end I tied a bowline knot with my rings, for the ring buckle support, in the loops. About an inch in from the bowline knot I tied an alpine knot. This loop is where I attach my hammock. I have Camp nano carabiners coming in the mail. I will clip them to the stock ENO line on the hammock, and attach them to the alpine knots. This way I can easily remove the hammock to wash it, or hang it without a ridgeline if I want. Never have to untie a knot or anything.

I went with the 2000 lbs. line because a bowline weakens the line by almost 50%. That gives me atleast 1000 lbs. strength. It may be a little overkill, but since my straps for the ring buckle support are 3500 lbs. test, and the descending rings are 16Kn, I didn't want the line to be a major weak link. Will put up pictures when my carabiners come in and I get everything hung up, but the drawing shows where everything is. The women in the drawing gives you an idea of how this idea may also attract ladies. Of course until the carabiners come in and everything is tested, it's all hypothetical.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    The women in the drawing gives you an idea of how this idea may also attract ladies
    I hope that's a DoubleNest you've got!

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    I went with the 2000 lbs. line because a bowline weakens the line by almost 50%. That gives me atleast 1000 lbs. strength. It may be a little overkill, but since my straps for the ring buckle support are 3500 lbs. test, and the descending rings are 16Kn, I didn't want the line to be a major weak link. Will put up pictures when my carabiners come in and I get everything hung up, but the drawing shows where everything is. The women in the drawing gives you an idea of how this idea may also attract ladies. Of course until the carabiners come in and everything is tested, it's all hypothetical.

You can use 275 lbs line and be just fine. I don't think the forces on the ridgeline are anywhere near the forces on the main supports.

But your ridgeline is a little different.

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    His ridge line is also the main support so it needs to be as strong as support lines or straps should be.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Yeah, I see. I bet that would be a great solution for someone looking or a hammock chair.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stoikurt View Post
    His ridge line is also the main support so it needs to be as strong as support lines or straps should be.

That's why I thought I would need the high test line. I always see people on here saying a ridgeline only needs to be rated for a couple hundred pounds, but I didn't know if they are directly connected to the suspension like mine is. I figure 2000 lbs. weakened with a bowline will still be plenty strong for me.

Unfortunately, it is just a singlenest. I will have to come up with a plan to handle the hypothetical swarm of women awed by my ingenuity.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    Regarding handling the (hypothetical) swarm of women, don't forget that dynamic load is much higher than static load on the suspension. Don't want to be going bouncy-bouncy-thud. I have pretty much figured out that there's no bouncy-bouncy to be done in a hammock. I would like to hear evidence (that someone heard from a friend, obviously) to the contrary.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmoss View Post
    Regarding handling the (hypothetical) swarm of women, don't forget that dynamic load is much higher than static load on the suspension. Don't want to be going bouncy-bouncy-thud. I have pretty much figured out that there's no bouncy-bouncy to be done in a hammock. I would like to hear evidence (that someone heard from a friend, obviously) to the contrary.
    Hmmm... load rated bungee cord for your suspension. The same bungee used in commercial bungee jumping.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmoss View Post
    I have pretty much figured out that there's no bouncy-bouncy to be done in a hammock. I would like to hear evidence (that someone heard from a friend, obviously) to the contrary.
    Bouncy-bouncy? Ok, anyone want to start a poll on that one?
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    Hmmm. A double nest suspended with bungee cord. That sounds like fun. Might need safety harnesses to keep from bouncing out of the hammock, depending...

*Shadowmoss starts designing her first home-made hammock*
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast