WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    DIY UCR and straps

Sewing machine problem

I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what's going on. I bought a new Singer 4423 a few months ago, briefly tried it out to make sure it was OK and put it away until today.

It's been really wet here and training was cancelled so I decided to finally make a start on all the DIY projects I want to do. Spent the morning measuring and cutting some fabric and some webbing for tree huggers. After lunch pulled the machine out planning to tackle the tree huggers first but can't get the **** thing to work. I've gone over several videos showing how to thread it and load the bobbin to ensure I'm not doing anything wrong there and as far as I can tell I'm not but when I try to sew, I get this:

The yellow is the top thread, changed it so I could work out which was looping.

Turning it by hand the top thread sticks on the left just under that little plate and never comes across to catch the bobbin thread ( I think that's what's supposed to happen).

First rotation:

Second rotation:

Anyone seen this before? I've got it set on straight stitch, 0 width, 3 length, tension 4 so about as basic as you get. Mara 50 thread, size 16 ball point needle. Can't figure out why it was fine when I put it away and now this.

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    I think you have a bent needle. Try changing that and see.

It is possible the timing is off. Check to see if the needle starts to come up right at the point when the bobbin point is starting to pass by the needle tip.

That little point on the bobbin shuttle case has to grab the thread just as the needle changes direction. That's when the little bit of slack is in the thread.

Always change the needle first if tensions don't correct the problem. Then look at timing, gear damage, and if it's clean inside.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    DIY UCR and straps
    Thanks, was actually just out looking at it and came in to say I think I fixed it. I was looking to see if the timing was OK (been watching Youtube vids) and it's fine so was proding around to see what I could take apart. There's a black plastic thing that the bobbin sits in that I was able to push down. The next time I tried turning it that part moved and came out. Managed to get it back in and I now think that part wasn't correctly in place. I don't know how it happened given the machine is basically new but it seems to be sitting a little lower than it was. Just tried it on some scrap and it worked. Too late to do it now so I'll try it in the morning. Fingers crossed.

Hammock
    11" 1.1 ripstop
    Tarp
    1.1 DIY 10X10
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    There is a little piece on the right front held on by two screws. You should not be able to remove the bobbin holder without loosening the two screws. See if the screws are tight. There should be 1 mm of space between the metal tab on that piece and the little nub on the bobbin holder.

Hammock
    11" 1.1 ripstop
    Tarp
    1.1 DIY 10X10
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Charliev View Post
    There is a little piece on the right front held on by two screws. You should not be able to remove the bobbin holder without loosening the two screws. See if the screws are tight. There should be 1 mm of space between the metal tab on that piece and the little nub on the bobbin holder.
    it is under the needle plate. I think it is what drops the top thread off the hook shuttle

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    DIY UCR and straps
    Checked but all appears OK. I couldn't even budge those screw with the cheap included "screwdriver" so definitely not loose. I have no idea how it happened but I used the machine today to do 4 sets of tree huggers and a few pieces of silpoply test material and it ran perfectly.

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by apsilon View Post
    Checked but all appears OK. I couldn't even budge those screw with the cheap included "screwdriver" so definitely not loose. I have no idea how it happened but I used the machine today to do 4 sets of tree huggers and a few pieces of silpoply test material and it ran perfectly.
    Awesome!! Glad to hear the problem is solved.
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Images
    Had my machine bird-nesting on the underside the other day. Spent a long time rummaging, trying to find the cause, til I spotted the thread had come off the take-up lever!

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    DIY UCR and straps
    Yeah I was pretty frustrated by Sat. night. Spent several hours trying to figure it out.

Pretty happy with my efforts though. Held my 210lbs swinging off it.

Need more practice, especially with these lightweight slippery materials. Tried using the rolled hem foot for the first time as well. Works but I'm not sure it's any easier at this stage. Lucky I have plenty of offcuts to practice with, it's just the time that I need to find.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Wow! You did a really nice job, your lines are very symmetrical. I think I am a good judge of that because my lines when sewing are very asymmetrical and goofy.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast