Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!

Keeping extra gear dry and protect d

I'm sure this has been cover d ad nauseam, but I couldn't find it on a search.

I'm transitioning from tent to hammocks, and most of the information is fairly straight forward. However, I'm used to using an oversized tent so I can keep my backpack and other gear inside and dry. Or at the very least under the vestibules.

So how do you keep the rest of your gear dry and out of the mud on rainy nights with a hammock? It also seems like you are much more constrained to keeping everything in your pack vs being able to spread it out in your tent.

The extra weight of hammocking isn't an issue with me, but keeping all of my extra gear dry is. So what are the options for keeping your extra gear dry and out of the elements?

Images
    You could buy a vestibule for your hammock tarp (we call them a GrizBeak from 2QZQ) and hang your gear inside it.

Images
    I sometimes pack the entire backpack inside a dollar store plastic drawstring laundry bag at night if it will be very wet.

Lately I have been bringing a cheap pack cover which doubles as a floor mat to put the bag on.

If muddy, I clip the backpack to the head end of the hammock suspension with a mini caribiner.

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    I take a light weight Little Joey camp chair on my hikes. Its kept on the outside of the sleeping bag compartment so I can toss it up quickly without taking the pack off. The tarp is always at the ready. Simply string the tarp, set up the chair (1-2mins for the chair), set the pack in the chair and get to fun hanging up the rest. Bonus, I have a chair to sit by the fire (set pack in hammock) and at night my pack is off the ground and sitting beside me under the tarp where I can reach it. Extra handy all the way around.

On dry nights with no chance of rain I shorten my trekking pole and lash it like a T using a cord in figure 8's to a tree then simply hang it up with the pack cover on. (Background of my profile pic for example)
    _____
    Forest Fires cause Smoky Bears

"For the ultimate light weight rig just sleep on the ground in the clothes you are wearing!"

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    +1 to hang the pack of my suspension. You should also search "gear hammock" and "gear sling" I use a mini sling hammock on my ridgeline sometimes for stuff that I may need. Some people bring another gear hammock, which is a mini hammock that hangs below their hammock. WBBB has the "shelf".

I love hammocks for many reasons, but one of them is the have built in clothes lines! I typically hang my trail pants on my ridgeline outside of my fronkey net, and I hang my shirt, socks and underwear inside my hammock on the ridge line at the foot end. I've found if I hang those outside I normally find them on the ground in the morning.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    You could buy a vestibule for your hammock tarp (we call them a GrizBeak from 2QZQ) and hang your gear inside it.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    I sometimes pack the entire backpack inside a dollar store plastic drawstring laundry bag at night if it will be very wet.

Lately I have been bringing a cheap pack cover which doubles as a floor mat to put the bag on.

If muddy, I clip the backpack to the head end of the hammock suspension with a mini caribiner.
    A large trash bag is what I was originally considering. Does hanging your pack from the hammock line affect the hang of your hammock much?

Quote Originally Posted by AdventureMyk View Post
    I take a light weight Little Joey camp chair on my hikes. Its kept on the outside of the sleeping bag compartment so I can toss it up quickly without taking the pack off. The tarp is always at the ready. Simply string the tarp, set up the chair (1-2mins for the chair), set the pack in the chair and get to fun hanging up the rest. Bonus, I have a chair to sit by the fire (set pack in hammock) and at night my pack is off the ground and sitting beside me under the tarp where I can reach it. Extra handy all the way around.

On dry nights with no chance of rain I shorten my trekking pole and lash it like a T using a cord in figure 8's to a tree then simply hang it up with the pack cover on. (Background of my profile pic for example)
    That's an interesting idea. Keeps the pack where you can get inside it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy42 View Post
    +1 to hang the pack of my suspension. You should also search "gear hammock" and "gear sling" I use a mini sling hammock on my ridgeline sometimes for stuff that I may need. Some people bring another gear hammock, which is a mini hammock that hangs below their hammock. WBBB has the "shelf".

I love hammocks for many reasons, but one of them is the have built in clothes lines! I typically hang my trail pants on my ridgeline outside of my fronkey net, and I hang my shirt, socks and underwear inside my hammock on the ridge line at the foot end. I've found if I hang those outside I normally find them on the ground in the morning.
    I like the idea of a gear hammock, but then that's one more line to string if you're using a separate line for your tarp instead of an integrated system like the Hennessy.

Thanks for the input. I need to get out to a group hang to see how different people approach this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    +1 on the gear hammock. Great place to keep your pack and everything else up off the ground. Accessible from your hammock too.
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE94 View Post
    +1 on the gear hammock. Great place to keep your pack and everything else up off the ground. Accessible from your hammock too.
    The only gear hammock I could find is from ENO. Anyone else make one?

Also, does anyone use Dutch's hammock chair as a gear hammock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I just put my pack on the ground on a 2'x3' piece of poly tarp. I can't imagine hanging my pack on the hammock...I feel that swinging around and annoying me to no end every time I move. If you're staying dry (hopefully!!) then you're gear is staying dry underneath you. Unless you picked a puddle to set up on.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    This may give some insight to what to do with pack and boots.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast