Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dont know what to do help

Trying to figure out my first purchase into the hanging world. Im torn between the WBBB (dont know which one either) and the HH buy one get one scout free deal going on until the end of this month. Also not sure what to do about tarp,UQ,TQ,CCF or no CCF, I dont really want to carry CCF but will if needed. Just hope to get the whole package setup that works. Im 5.5 and 145 lbs.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Relax and take a breath.

What appeals to you about both hammocks? Are you looking at the HH models only because of the free hammock? Do you have somebody else that needs the extra hammock? Have you tried any hammocks yet? Just tell us what you think you like about each hammock.

Do you have any sleeping bags, quilts, or pads right now? If you do, use those until you've soaked up more information. I started hanging using a ccf pad and a cut-up fleece sleeping bag. Even got into the 30s with that; wasn't happy about it, but I did. This stuff can get expensive QUICK! Take your time and do it right. Start with the hammock, then get a tarp, then get warm.

That's my suggestion for what it's worth.
    Trust nobody!

Well I dont need the other hammock thought of selling it to help with the cost of other stuff I need to get. Before I found this forum 2 days ago I was going to get a Clark NA. Looks to be pretty good whole package setup. The BB is alot bigger from what I gather and figure I could get my pack and everything in with me still having room to spare. Sounds like the tarp is about the only item that everyone seems to be using different kinds and I dont know whats good or better or what size or shape to get. I do have sleeping bags and self inflating pads but I heard the air pads no good for insulation.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 single, 2QZQ HH, GTUL
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti / Black Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    the longer you wait, the more research you do, the more money you save, the more creative you become. (one way to look at it, or...)
    there will always be that next thing that you want to add to your collection. I want all of them.. you can read and dream about that ultimate tarp/hammock/UQ/TQ combo. that is inevitable (obviously if your a member now). But the part that is fun, (and why I think most of us are here) is its a good reason to get outside and do something under the sky. that being said, you don't have to spend a fortune to hang between two trees.
    I would actually suggest going with a grand trunk ultra light as a first hammock. (especially if you are into ultralight hiking). its around 10 oz and very simple, and the best part, its 20 bucks!!! great way to see if you like sleeping in a hammock. If you have a few good nights, or afternoon naps, then look into furthering your collection, if you get into it you will end up buying a GTUL anyways just cause its 20 bucks. I just modified my GTUL with whoopie slings, and home made tree huggers using the marlin spike hitch (thanks grizz). even though I have quite a collection of hammocks going, one of my first to grab is the one I have spent the least on, my $20 grand trunk ultra light.
    Because you fall through the clouds if you try to lay on them, so the next best thing is a hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    Welcome Konac! I'll echo what's already been said about using the gear you already have, and taking your time to really do some good research here on the forums to get a good idea about what you want.

If you are new to hammocks altogether, I'd suggest that with whatever you buy (or make), take several naps and then about 3 nights in it in the backyard to 1) familiarize yourself with the setup and your preferences and 2) just to get used to sleeping in a hammock before you go out and have a horrible night in the cold woods and think you don't like hammocks.

When I was asking the same questions a few years ago. I decided on a Claytor Jungle hammock because it would work well with the stuff I already had, like the pad I already had for insulation. And if I had to go to the ground, the JH seemed to have the best ground setup. **For the record, I have never had to go to the ground. Even at a KOA campsite in Moab!! With a little ingenuity you can hang anywhere, even if you have to fashion supports or use the rack on your X-terra.... *** Anyway the JH comes with every thing you really need for $150. That includes a tarp. There are many great hammocks. I've being dreaming of a Warbonnet Blackbird since it came out.

Read as much as you can on here before you spend a lot of money. You'll buy something and then the next day you'll hear about something else that you think you have to have.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Welcome, Konac! Good advice you've received already... can't wait to read your posts about how wisely you spent your money!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL...Yeah baby.
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Nothing Yet...
    Suspension
    Whatever is on it.
    Hi CONAC! Welcome to HF. I am new to all of this as well. As a matter of fact I am in the process of getting ALL of my hiking/backpacking gear together and it is certainly a bit overwhelming. I have done some backpacking in the past but have always used rented gear. This year I decided to gear up so I will give you a quick rundown on what I have gotten and the cost involved (which is quite a bit more than I was hoping it would be...but then again, I hung around these forums a little too much and I have been pointed toward, what I hope to be, some of the best gear out there).

Here is what I have on order:

~ Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 DL - (I was almost ready to get a HH, but after spending some time reading the reviews here from folks who had tried both I just had to get the BB) I ordered this on Tuesday so I still have a couple of weeks before it comes in.
    ~ MacCat Deluxe Tarp (Again found out about them here and they are supposed to be top-notch)
    ~ Exped Downmat 9 - I decided to get this mat because when my wife goes I will be dwelling on the ground and I wanted to be as comfortable as possible in both the hammock and a tent. The Exped has the highest R-value of any mat/pad I could find and the main complaint I have heard about hammocks is that they can be cold so I wanted something with really good insulation that would keep me as warm as possible. I have also talked with people here at HF that have used the Exped in their hammock and they say it keeps them warm and toasty into the 30's or 40's which is as low as I plan to go with this setup.
    ~ The North Face Cat's Meow Sleeping Bag - I haven't actually ordered this yet and am still looking for the best sleeping bag for me, but this is the front runner right now. (If anyone has any suggestions on a great, lightweight bag I would love to hear them)

That is what I plan to be my complete setup...at least to start out with. I am also looking at packs. I have ordered both a Gregory Z55 and a Gregory Triconi 60 and am going to keep the one that is most comfortable. The complete setup that I have listed above is totalling up to about $770 (that number makes my stomach hurt) and it all weighs about 13lbs. I ordered everything except the WBBB and the MacCat from Moosejaw. Their prices were the best I could find and they have a super simple return policy and great customer service.

I hope this helps and doesn't scare you away. Keep in mind that I am new to all of this and am pretty much starting from scratch. I also decided to go with the best gear that I could find starting out which I am hoping will pay off in the long run, but as others will tell you (and already have) there are MUCH less expensive options out there. There are posts that will give you tips for getting started on almost any budget.

God Bless,
    Chris

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL...Yeah baby.
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Nothing Yet...
    Suspension
    Whatever is on it.
    Two things I forgot to mention...

1) I have ordered all of this stuff, but it hasn't come in yet so I haven't had a chance to test it out. I made my decisions based on product reviews and what I have learned here on HF. I am pretty sure that everything will work well for me.

2) You mentioned you didn't know which model of the WBBB you might want. I wasn't sure either so I emailed Brandon (WarbonnetGuy on HF - he's the guy who makes them) and he said the decision is best made based on weight and insulation type. The double layer works well if you plan to use a mat/pad for insulation because you can slide it between the layers. If you plan to use an underquilt the single layer should work fine. If you are wondering about the different suspension types he offers he shows the difference in this video. If you have questions beyond that you can PM WarbonnerGuy or get his email address from his website and email him. He was very responsive when I contacted him and he will steer you in the right direction. I am 5'll and 180lbs so I went with the 1.1 DL.

Chris

*** EDIT ***
    Forgot the links.
    Warbonnet Website: http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.net/
    Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIo8E...layer_embedded
    Last edited by cyokley; 01-14-2010 at 08:51. Reason: Forgot to add links

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cyokley View Post
    ~ The North Face Cat's Meow Sleeping Bag - I haven't actually ordered this yet and am still looking for the best sleeping bag for me, but this is the front runner right now. (If anyone has any suggestions on a great, lightweight bag I would love to hear them)

Chris

Campmor has a goose down bag to 0 degrees for about the same price as the Cat's Meow. And a 20 degree goosedown bag for even less. If you want compressibility take a look at those. The down quality is 550 power I believe, not the 800 and up on the really good quality quilts and down bags. You might want to compare specs, weight, etc. between Campmor bags and NF bag. Campmor bags get good comments. Of course you could make your own down quilt with 800 or 900 down for that price too.

PS: I had the women's version of the Cat's Meow and sold it because I didn't like how bulky it was. Took up too much space in my pack. You may find the NF bag is too bulky for your Gregory Z55 and a Gregory Triconi 60. If you have local store with NF bags, take your pack and your gear and see if it all fits.
    Last edited by HappyCamper; 01-14-2010 at 09:02.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL...Yeah baby.
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Nothing Yet...
    Suspension
    Whatever is on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    Campmor has a goose down bag to 0 degrees for about the same price as the Cat's Meow. And a 20 degree goosedown bag for even less. If you want compressibility take a look at those. The down quality is 550 power I believe, not the 800 and up on the really good quality quilts and down bags. You might want to compare specs, weight, etc. between Campmor bags and NF bag. Campmor bags get good comments. Of course you could make your own down quilt with 800 or 900 down for that price too.

PS: I had the women's version of the Cat's Meow and sold it because I didn't like how bulky it was. Took up too much space in my pack.
    Thanks HappyCamper! I was wondering how well it compressed. I have read reviews that go both ways. Some say it compresses really well and others say not so much (I guess satisfaction depends on expectations). I will take a look at the Campmor bags. Thanks for the suggestion!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast