Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cpap placement while hanging.

Where and how do my fellow cpap users put your machines/batteries?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 2-layer
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    I'm full time, outside hanger, so at home I have a small table next to my head and a flap on the bug net to slip the hose through. On the trail I do without.

Hammock
    HH Expl Dlx, Dutch 11'
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Tadpole
    Insulation
    HH SS, Jarbidge
    Suspension
    various
    I just did a lengthy search through the forums on this issue, as a recent apnea dx and CPAP user. Some folks slip their machines inside their UQ so they blow warmer air than outside. Some have a gear hammock, others put theirs on top of their packs or on their tyvek groundsheet.

I haven't invested in batteries and such yet. I've tried using the inverter function on my car jump pack, but its fans blowing all night are more distracting than the machine running. I've thought about putting the jump pack under someone else's hammock, but I could do as much damage leaving the machine at home and just snoring as usual. That would save some pack weight!

My wife says I can go backpacking without the CPAP as long as I'm not snoring at her while I'm out. My pulmonologist says my apnea is minor enough to not worry about a couple of nights a month without the mask.

Looking forward to what others have to say.
    Thanks,
    Ranc0r

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Have you guys looked into one of the new portable CPap machines?
    http://www.thecpapshop.com/our-cpap-...-cpap-machines

Hammock
    DIY 1.9oz RS 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY 12' 1.1 Winter
    Insulation
    Snugpak UQ/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I hang full-time, inside hanger at home. I have a little table next to the hammock I put mine on. I've been scheming a few ideas for outside that I'm going to try in the backyard, the sketchiest of which is a ridge line shelf of some type. Also some ideas like the gear hammock, or something that hangs off the tree that the hammock is strapped to.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20 deg UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    [QUOTE=Ranc0r;1761577. My wife says I can go backpacking without the CPAP as long as I'm not snoring at her while I'm out. My pulmonologist says my apnea is minor enough to not worry about a couple of nights a month without the mask.

Looking forward to what others have to say.[/QUOTE]

You might want to look into using a dental device that repositions your jaw if you have minor apnea. This is a custom fit device that a trained dentist fits to you and is light weight and does not require tubes or electricity. It also is good to use if you happen to grind as well. This is a great option for camping or backpacking and works well for me. My insurance actually covered both a cpap and the dental device so you might want to look into it.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    I've got around 1000 nights now out in my hammock using a CPAP. Most of them have been with the CPAP hanging from the ridgeline, mostly at the foot end but sometimes at the head end. I have gear loops at both ends of the hammock and can lock it at either end that way.

Using a 220Whr battery I get 2.5 nights out of it, if I want 3, I shorten days 1 and 2. That is after more than 500 cycles on the battery itself.

The setup is as follows;
    Everything is transported in a dry bag.
    CPAP is in a mesh bag w/ 2 S-biners when hanging off the line at the foot end.
    The battery and the bulk of the power cord are in the dry bag which is attached to the ridgeline an held in place by a gear loop in the peak.

So w/ the dry bag and battery locked to the peak, the CPAP sits on top of that bag, also clipped to the ridgeline. The tube is run along the ridgeline, sometimes I use little velcro straps to hold it there but mostly not.

I don't put the CPAP under the top quilt unless it's a sub zero situation. I also run a top cover in sub freezing temps.

All in all it works very well, the only downside is the weight penalty. The unit is a Respironics Remstar Pro, the battery is no longer available as it doesn't meet FAA travel guidelines.

There are plenty of battery options out there and should be some solid info buried in threads here on HF.

This is the battery I have used for several years. A solid workhorse. When it finally goes, I will just purchase batteries separately and rebuild the unit myself.

http://www.cpapbatterystore.com/bps-...plete-kit-b14/

This the 100 version of the unit.
    http://www.cpapbatterystore.com/bps-...plete-kit-b08/

You can get a 90-120Whr battery for around $120 if you order direct from China. They are smaller and flatter than the other battery types that deliver similar performance for the price point that are of the brick like variety.

Here's a pic from a few days ago, you can see the orange bag at the end, CPAP is in black mesh hanging above it and it's all out of the way.
    IMG_20170312_082154533.jpg
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    i use the TRANSCEND unit

have the better battery which will not make it thru the 2nd night

also have the 12v system that will run or charge the battery

the cost to me was + $15 over what insurance paid for the unit

the battery & 12v system were $$$$$$$ outa my pocket

must still be working 'cause i aint died yet

a btw, insurance will not provide oxygen a/o equipment when i travel into higher elevations where the CPAP system won't support my needs and my travel has been restricted for this reason

sw
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    mw3 uq & ss tq
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    I have the Z1 auto cpap with battery pack. Very $$$ but worth it. The unit without battery pack will fit inside of a shoe. The battery pack doubles the size of the unit. The whole thing hangs from a hand-strap so very easy to setup with my hammock. I purchased the unit with end-of-year medical flexible spending account money. It was a case of buy the cpap or lose the money. I bought the unit from the same site you sighted (TheCPAPShop). I highly recommend them.

Regarding battery use, how fast you go though the battery is based on your CPAP settings. The higher the setting for the CPAP, the quicker you run through the battery. I am lucky in that I can go at least 2 nights on one battery. I have not tried to go three nights, but suspect I might be able to do that (my cpap settings are not that demanding).

VATriker (Stu)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 Dbl layer
    Tarp
    Superfly, Pole Mod
    Insulation
    Wooki, LLCP 3.6
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by VATriker View Post
    I have the Z1 auto cpap with battery pack. Very $$$ but worth it. The unit without battery pack will fit inside of a shoe. The battery pack doubles the size of the unit. The whole thing hangs from a hand-strap so very easy to setup with my hammock. I purchased the unit with end-of-year medical flexible spending account money. It was a case of buy the cpap or lose the money. I bought the unit from the same site you sighted (TheCPAPShop). I highly recommend them.

Regarding battery use, how fast you go though the battery is based on your CPAP settings. The higher the setting for the CPAP, the quicker you run through the battery. I am lucky in that I can go at least 2 nights on one battery. I have not tried to go three nights, but suspect I might be able to do that (my cpap settings are not that demanding).

VATriker (Stu)
    Can you use USB battery packs? Saw a You Tube on this. Niece is a respiratory therapist and has clients that use them. I have an old Everest that I still get two nights on battery. I'm getting a Raven, hopefully delivered tomorrow, with a Gear Sling. Plan to hang CPAP mid ridgeline so I can "swap ends" if desired. I usually clip a small mesh laundry bag as a peak bag with some padding. Works great while hanging on the water in my Gheenoe.
    Last edited by Draggingcanoe; 03-21-2017 at 21:08.