Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by O-Boy View Post
    However, learned several great tips to lighten my pack from MADD and Olddog back in the parking lot!
    Could be something we could all do as a 'show and tell'. That and bear bag line tossing lessons.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I almost threw my shoulder out trying to get that bear bag up there! LOL
    Thanks for all the help!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Sheltowee Boone DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    30*HG UQ/ 40*UGTQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Looks like you guys had a great time. Great pictures Ron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Formerly known as Bomber21

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Kavelar/dynema
    i guess ill post a trip report

The adventure began friday evening after work Doug picked up the 3 of us and we hit the road. A quick google maps input later, 1 hour drive. Sweet we might not have to set up in the dark this trip, sorry but NO. As all GPS units go we went to the wrong place and had to turn around twice. After ariving at the trail head and seeing Scout Troop 222 at the trail head doing a vehicle drop. We offered some water and trail advice to the scouts and headed down the trail to set up our hammocks for the evening.

After a short hike in we met the HF crew lounging around a small fire. We sourced a small group of trees in an overgrown area just off trail. Really neede a machetti this trip(leave no trace) privents me fron bringing one. That and I don't want to carry it. After some evening drinks and a plan of attack for tomorrow is was off to bed. Mid to low 50's at night made sleeping pleasent right up till my hammock broke at 4:15 am. A short drop from the head end, 20" or so will wake you up with unpleasent four letter words spewing from your mouth. A short but painful examination of why thing went south litteraly revealed the bridge connector end tore through the mule tape. Releasing me to the ground with a not so soft thud. I wanted to just lay on the ground till morning but Rule #4 kicked in "thou shall not go to ground". So off to my bear line to trim 3 feet of dynaglide from the tail to be used to make a repair. A couple of scout knots and 15 minutes later time for a test. All was well and I slept a couple more hours. In the morning a quick tear down and pack up we were heading east down the trail. We left a little ahead of the rest of the crew taking our time enjoying the trip. A short while later we were passed by a bulk of our group. After regrouping for lunch and topping off with water we were on the move again. We were at camp with short side hike to blue sink hole before 2pm. I sorted out a spot for the 4 of us and returned the the picnic table to make a more reasonable repair to my hammock. After this process was complete I stretched it out for a test 1" off the ground "Hanging is Hanging" after a sucesful test time to move it up to 6" for an after noon nap. waking around 5pm to start dinner and be heckled for snorring like a freight train (what ever i never hear it). We sat and conversed about things till the stars were out. After a few were falling asleep around the fire we all retired to bed.

Sunday morning we planned to get up early and hit the trail. Yea that never happend. We started out on the trail after the sun was well up (big mistake should have stuck to plan A). The heat was relentless during the day but we had only about 6 miles to get back to the cars. We started out last this time on the trail and payed the price for that. The hike went smooth and fast early on in the morning, the area is beautiful but with out a good source of water its not a good trip.

Hammock
    Warbonnet bb, ridgerunner, and xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben fiber
    Insulation
    Ugq top and bottom
    Suspension
    woopie slings
    I had fully intended to make this trip up till the last hour. I had family coming from up north and I had promised them a sparkling pool, but first the pump wasn't priming, 2 the backwash valve started leaking very Bab, and 3 the pump started leaking from the shaft seal. So Monday morning after the pool guy came and told me what to do I got everything fixed.
    So my idea is if anyone wants to try this again in the next couple of weeks I would like to do it. Any takers??? After seeing all of the great pics I truly missed a wonderful trip!!!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 3s Yeti/Mamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I want to thank everyone who posted images and reports of the hike. The video was great as well. I want to thank O-Boy for nudging me to go on this hike, it is much appreciated. I am sorry that there are those who where unable to perform the hike. I hope everyone will be able to come out and hike in the future.

I learned a good lesson on this hike: pack light and only bring what you need. It was a much better hike then my last at the Summer's Last Gasp. I hope to see everyone on the trail in the future.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Adjstable Webbing
    I would love to join in on something like this!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanorear View Post
    I would love to join in on something like this!
    Be a little patient for cooler weather and we all come out of hiding!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Yes. The Grinder Hang is posted up in the trip planning forum. Can't come soon enough for me.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123