Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I'm in the minority, I guess, but as much as I value trailworthiness in my hammock gear and appreciate the aesthetic of a crisp pitch, I do not tighten my tarp super-taut just for the sake of tautness; I anchor all the stakes really well and slowly increase tension on each corner of my hex in turn (following the same sequence one would follow tightening lug nuts on a car wheel) until the ridge line is under light tension from the side tie-outs and the adjacent tie-outs are exerting light tension on one another. If my tarp is pitched "just in case" and there is no significant wind or precipitation currently, I guess I don't see any reason to put undue stress on my tarp. If inclement or severe weather threatens, I can easily add tension as necessary in accordance with the level of its intensity.

(That said, since most of my tarps -- especially my "foul weather" tarps -- use a grosgrain-covered standing seam along the ridge line, I do set a moderate amount of tension along the reinforced ridge line from the start, and I only need to tighten it after days of punishing rainfall (or, less occasionally, high winds).)
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    I cinch my ridgeline down as tight as practical. IMO, the tarp is stressed less by a taut pitch than a looser pitch constantly "rolling" in the wind. Wind constantly beating on a loose sail creates some stressful forces in itself.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by hawghangar View Post
    I cinch my ridgeline down as tight as practical. IMO, the tarp is stressed less by a taut pitch than a looser pitch constantly "rolling" in the wind. Wind constantly beating on a loose sail creates some stressful forces in itself.
    Agreed, but I guess part of the problem may be that everyone may differ when it comes to the definition of "moderate tension" or "as tight as practical"; in some cases they might actually turn out to be the same thing.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Dutch 11' netless
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20º Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I really need to attend a group hang so I can see the "norms". I am always second guessing if I have things tweaked just right and seeing how others have there gear set up in person will give me the ability to see if I have things set up correct. Video can only take you so far. I need to touch things sometimes.
    There is no promise of a tomorrow, live life for today!
    Vialdo Design Studio My wife's graphic design and promotional products company, check her out!

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Went out a few weeks ago....wind gusts were 40 mph with 25 mph constant. Used shock cord on my CRL (between tarp and prussiks) and at all tie outs. The shock cord seemed to help quite a bit. Woke to snow, ice and six degree windchill. Tarp stayed in place.

Chinook tarp, one end closed the other open.

Images
    If you are concerned about wind, tension is only one factor.
    You might be better served by considering the other factors -
    Siting
    Orientation
    Pitch height
    Tarp design

Find a less windy spot, get off ridgelines, away from lakeshores, back up into the trees, get into the lee of undergrowth, set up on the leeside of the hill.
    Consider orienting your tarp to spill wind effectively, I know you usually set up side on to the wind, to block the flow, but that makes a big sail. If you have doors, think about setting up, at an angle to the wind, to better let the wind flow around. Or even end on, if you have good doors, smaller profile.
    Get your tarp low, that also lessens your profile. And lets you pitch the edge right to the ground on the windward side, that stops turbulent wind spilling under the tarp.
    Some designs of tarp will cope with wind better than others. A hex or square with doors, will be the most robust. Cat cuts will help lessen edge flap.

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Tarp tension

My tarp is oversized 13 ridge by 12
    Once in high wind and cold--I tied tarp lines together (from opposite sides) under hammock and let hammock and tarp move in unison with wind gusts. Tarp did push against hammock, but not too much. It was no fun getting up for 300am whizz. I slept good, knowing there was little chance of wind damage. It was very windy that night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 03-26-2017 at 21:28.

Hammock
    Clark TX 250
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    A harsh and embarrassing lesson learned....Don't cinch your tarp down till the seams stretch. You would not believe how much rainwater can come through those little bitty needle holes.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    A great way for tarps, especially silnyl, to achieve a taut pitch and retain it as they stretch slightly in rain or even heavy dew is to use tarp tensioners... Such as these... http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/self-tensioning-lines/

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I like to get the ridge line pretty tight, but don't rely entirely on that. The 4 guylines will eat up the rest of the slack for a nice snare drum setup. I always felt tensioners made things sloppier and never really use them; and I certainly won't now that I'm switching to silpoly.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast