Hammock
    HammockBliss no see um
    Suspension
    home made webbing
    Images

Slumberjack 20 degree sleepingbag?

Does anyone have any experience with a Slumberjack 20 degree mummy bag? I was at our local Sportsman's Warehouse and saw them there for $69. They look like they compress way down to fit in a backpack. Would these be any good for use in a hammock? Possibly without a pad underneith it? They also had them in 30 and 40 degree also, which seemed to compress even smaller.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry_Dodson View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with a Slumberjack 20 degree mummy bag? I was at our local Sportsman's Warehouse and saw them there for $69. They look like they compress way down to fit in a backpack. Would these be any good for use in a hammock? Possibly without a pad underneith it? They also had them in 30 and 40 degree also, which seemed to compress even smaller.
    As I understand it, the bags that function best in hammocks sans pads are those that are the least compressable (synthetic).
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    5 DIY's and a Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    BWDD 4 Season, DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator / DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry_Dodson View Post
    I've used that bag for years. It's a good bag for the money. Not too heavy and warm enough. Last use was a Smokies trip with temps down to 2*F. This was prior to my "ENLIGHTENMENT". Slept on a Thermarest full length pad and used a fleece bag as a liner. I wore polyester thermal top and bottom with two pairs of socks. I stayed warm the whole night. However, I am a warm sleeper.

For the money, you can't go wrong. Only option would to be search Geartrade.com for a used down bag in the similar price range.
    If God had meant for us to sleep on the ground,
    He wouldn't have created trees....

“Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in where nature may heal and cheer and give strength to the body and soul.” - John Muir

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Black Cat
    Insulation
    Exped 7
    Suspension
    straps
    Images
    While I can agree with Peg-Leg that it is a good bag for the money, I think him being a warm sleeper and using warm clothing is what enabled him to get down to 2*F.

I am NOT a warm sleeper and this bag won't take me down much below 30F, even with warm clothing. OTOH, I do have a RayWay quilt that has taken me down to 23F (with warm clothing and bottom insulation).

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have Slumberjack 30 degree bag that I use for temps 40F and above. It is decent for the money and does the job.

Hammock
    HammockBliss no see um
    Suspension
    home made webbing
    Images
    Thanks for the info. I am kinda torn between one of these bags and a synthetic down quilt i saw at walmart for $19. I guess my main deciding factor will be which one can compress dow the smallest to fit in a backpack. Anyone ever used one of those synthetic down quilts from Walmart? I was thinking of getting a twin size one, figured that would be big enough for a hammock. Maybe even get one of the quilts and try to make an underquilt from it?

• + New Posts