Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images

Help me decide which campground: Mount Pisgah or Black Mountain, NC

I'm planning on taking my 7 yrs old niece on her first hammock camping trip, and am trying to decide between Mount Pisgah Campground or Black Mountain and Briar Bottom Campground.

Do you have any recommendations?
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    I've stayed at Mount Pisgah. It's a nice, well kept campground that is cool, even in the hot days of summer. There is a camp store across the road at Pisgah Inn. There are nearby trails for hiking. The sites in the tent section are where you'll want to be. Some will not work for hanging, but there are a good many that can accommodate two hangers and some that could accommodate 4-5 hangers. The best thing to do is when you arrive, ask to go pick out a site, then come back and pay. Weekends and holidays tend to fill up fast.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Check out Google reviews on each of these as well. Mount Pisgah gets slightly higher reviews but hopefully someone on the board has stayed in both and can give a first hand reviews.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 11ft.
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    My own concoction
    I've stayed at Mt. Pisgah and will give it a thumbs up as well Jelly. Unfortunately I don't know anything about your other considerations.

Lotsa good stuff to see close by. A great breakfast spot at the Inn, and it may even be warm enough for a dip at sliding rock; not to be missed if the weather allows.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    I say you get a map, then overlay a golden spiral on it and see which one intersects it the best

I'm sure you'll have fun...bring some rainout backups... enjoy!

I'd probably do Black Mtn just because you can mess around in the Toe and 7-yo nieces like that. You're certainly close to some creek hikes from Mt Pisgah, such as Graveyard Fields, but there's something to be said for having a creek/river in camp. I've never camped at Black Mtn so I don't know much about the campground. In a previous life I kayaked the Toe, and it's a beautiful area.

My family has done some hiking/hanging about at Mt Pisgah and it definitely has its own merits such as the altitude and the restaurant across the street that La Picker mentioned is fantastic, but I've never camped there, either. It seems like the last time I checked it was first come-first served, so get there early or on a weekday if you can, and have a bailout option. If it is full, you can go back down the BRP to Lake Powhatan/Bent Creek and there is a nice FS campground there, but I think that Pisgah or Black Mtn would be more fun.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Junebugdawn View Post
    I've stayed at Mount Pisgah. It's a nice, well kept campground that is cool, even in the hot days of summer. There is a camp store across the road at Pisgah Inn. There are nearby trails for hiking. The sites in the tent section are where you'll want to be. Some will not work for hanging, but there are a good many that can accommodate two hangers and some that could accommodate 4-5 hangers. The best thing to do is when you arrive, ask to go pick out a site, then come back and pay. Weekends and holidays tend to fill up fast.

Do you remember what site you stayed in? It is now possible to reserve specific sites in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Check out Google reviews on each of these as well. Mount Pisgah gets slightly higher reviews but hopefully someone on the board has stayed in both and can give a first hand reviews.
    They both look cool. This is a hard decision.

Quote Originally Posted by La Picker View Post
    I've stayed at Mt. Pisgah and will give it a thumbs up as well Jelly. Unfortunately I don't know anything about your other considerations.

Lotsa good stuff to see close by. A great breakfast spot at the Inn, and it may even be warm enough for a dip at sliding rock; not to be missed if the weather allows.
    Do you know which sites at Pisgah would be best for 2 hammocks?

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    I say you get a map, then overlay a golden spiral on it and see which one intersects it the best

I'm sure you'll have fun...bring some rainout backups... enjoy!
    OMG. You know me. Hahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    I'd probably do Black Mtn just because you can mess around in the Toe and 7-yo nieces like that. You're certainly close to some creek hikes from Mt Pisgah, such as Graveyard Fields, but there's something to be said for having a creek/river in camp. I've never camped at Black Mtn so I don't know much about the campground. In a previous life I kayaked the Toe, and it's a beautiful area.

My family has done some hiking/hanging about at Mt Pisgah and it definitely has its own merits such as the altitude and the restaurant across the street that La Picker mentioned is fantastic, but I've never camped there, either. It seems like the last time I checked it was first come-first served, so get there early or on a weekday if you can, and have a bailout option. If it is full, you can go back down the BRP to Lake Powhatan/Bent Creek and there is a nice FS campground there, but I think that Pisgah or Black Mtn would be more fun.
    Pisgah is now doing a reserve-in-advance thing, so I'm worried I'll pick a site that won't be conducive to hammocks.

This is more complicated than I thought it would be.

I just called both campgrounds and they are not yet open for the season.
    I sew things on youtube.

Hammock
    90&quot;x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish View Post
    Do you remember what site you stayed in? It is now possible to reserve specific sites in advance.

They both look cool. This is a hard decision.

Do you know which sites at Pisgah would be best for 2 hammocks?

OMG. You know me. Hahahahaha

Pisgah is now doing a reserve-in-advance thing, so I'm worried I'll pick a site that won't be conducive to hammocks.

This is more complicated than I thought it would be.

I just called both campgrounds and they are not yet open for the season.
    We were on D 13, 14, & 15. I wouldn't choose 13 unless you have stands. 15 is bordered on one side with woods, but underbrush. 14 can hang probably 3 people, maybe 4 if you are creative.

Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Junebugdawn View Post
    We were on D 13, 14, & 15. I wouldn't choose 13 unless you have stands. 15 is bordered on one side with woods, but underbrush. 14 can hang probably 3 people, maybe 4 if you are creative.

Thank you!!!
    ❤️❤️❤️
    I sew things on youtube.

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images

Mount Pisgah site C4 is reservable and has 2 sets of trees. Niece and I stayed on one set side-by-side. She was very happy about her first hammock camping experience.

I sew things on youtube.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast