Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Madison, WI REI sale!

Not sure exactly which subforum this thread belongs in, so apologies in advance if a mod has to move this...

Anyway, just a reminder to those near Madison, WI that the Madison REI scratch-n-dent sale is scheduled for Saturday January 23. I've been to s-n-d sales at both the Milwaukee and Madison locations, and I must say the Madison sale was much better.
    Could be a good opp to pick up some stuff at really nice prices! Last Madison s-n-d sale I attended I snagged some crazy deals.

Just a heads-up! Let me know if you plan on attending and I'll be sure to say howdy. I'm even contemplating hanging somewhere in the area the night before. Maybe. If I do it'd likely be New Glarus park or Blue Mounds state park. If that thought solidifies I'll post in the trip planning subforum...
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    They're also doing their clearance sale online right now, for those who can't make it to a local shop.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird, 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing w/ rings
    I'm planning on going to the sale. I'll probably even get there early to be one of the first ones in. Let me know if you're down for that. Lake Kegonsa is also pretty close to Madison.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I'll definitely be there early. Probably around 8:00am or thereabouts... That's what time I arrived for the last sale and I got the very last ticket for the first group to be let in. Good thing too, the first group of 20 people went through like a pack of piranha! I can't imagine what was left for say the 4th group to be let in... literally just gear crumbs I bet.

As for hanging the night before, I'm still trying to figure out if I will be able to get free Friday night. Silly work stuff... but I'll let you know.

Looks like Lake Kegonsa doesn't allow winter camping? If that's the case I'll be looking at either New Glarus or Blue Mounds.
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing w/ rings
    Huh, I thought they did do winter camping... guess not though. Not sure whether I'll be able to hang Friday either, but there's a chance I might. I'm definitely down for going to REI early, though.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Report from the sale...

Managed to be in the first group of people in (a good thing!). There was a limit of 10 items, I only managed to come out with 5 items, mostly due to the 20 minute time limit flew by so fast I didn't locate 10 items I wanted.
    Everything I bought was in either excellent or "as new" condition.

1. Lafuma down jacket - $19.83
    2. North Face down vest - $32.83
    3. MSR Denali snowshoes - $39.83
    4. REI Ducksback pack cover - $5.83
    5. Tubbs 25 snowshoes - $41.83

In addition to the sale items I picked up some miscellaneous items... figure 9's, Camp Nano biners, MSR Groundhogs and some snow stakes. All in all a fun day at REI.

Talked to jofish there... nice to see ya! Hope we can get out and hang sometime soon. Good luck with school!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing w/ rings
    Unlike sir nothing, I did not get in the first group. Despite getting there just 40 minutes later (8:30am vs. 7:50am), I was in the third group to get in. Which meant there were slim pickings, to put things kindly. I ended up with a pair of REI zip-off pants for ~$15.

Not too bad I guess, but DEFINITELY not worth waiting out in the cold rain-mist for an hour and a half. IF I ever do this again - and thats a big if, I'm gonna go at like 6am to make sure I'm one of the first ones in. Honestly, it pretty much set the tone for what turned out to be a pretty disappointing day.

One of the highlights of my day - catching up with sir nothing! Super happy that you got so many good deals, buddy. Only wished I had been smart enough to get out early with ya! And I'll definitely let you know the next time I'm able to stave off thesis writing and grading to hit the trails.

I was down at REI on 1/15. Things were very much in disarray as they were getting things ready for the sale this week. Lots of stuff on clearance but didn't find anything I needed other than a few niteize s-biners. Sounds like the scratch-n-dent sale is a little crazy!

I grew up on Lake Kegonsa and did a lot of biking in my youth around the lake. Have fond memories of Kegonsa State Park. Lots of school trips there over the years.

Still hoping to get out for a short hang this winter with the new PeaPod. Let me know if you guys plan a trip. Madison's only 2 hours away for me. I have a bizarre work schedule though and midweeks actually are better in my book.

• + New Posts