Tarp
    Speer 8x10 CatTarp
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    webbing & cinch
    Images

Basic tarp questions for a tarp newb.

I am fairly new to the hammocking scene, and I have an HH expedition. The only times I have ever used the hammock, I have naturally used the stock HH tarp (which, in rain and wind, didn't hold up too well). So, I just got a Speer 8x10 CatTarp in the mail yesterday. I set it up in the yard today,and quickly realized that attaching the tarp to the hammock ridgeline like the HH tarp does, does not work too well (tension in tarp without person in hammock vs. tension with someone hanging)...

What is the way you people set up your tarps? Do you tie them off to the trees until you get tension right, or do you use adjusters and hitches and all that fancy stuff? And is the goal to have the tarp as taught as possible? Any input would be appreciated.
    "I leave here believing more than I had, this love has got no ceiling" - Eddie Vedder

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    BA Insulated & SPE
    Images
    There are many different ways to hang your tarp. I do my tarp completely independent from my hammock's suspension system. I either tie each end of the ridgeline tie outs to the tree using Figure 9's. Or I use a 25' rope to create a ridgeline running from tree to tree and attach the tie outs of the tarp to that rope using Prusik knots.

The first way puts more stress on your tarp but it's easier to put up and vice versa for the second way.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    I also recommend hanging your tarp independent of your hammock suspension. Generally, your best bet is to tie the tarp ridgeline just below the hammock suspension on the tree (the angle of your hammock suspension lines will determine how much).
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    I also recommend hanging your tarp independent of your hammock suspension. Generally, your best bet is to tie the tarp ridgeline just below the hammock suspension on the tree (the angle of your hammock suspension lines will determine how much).

+1

message too short

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I have a Clark hammock w/a Clark tarp and when I first got them, they were connected together. After hanging in them this way for a while, I got to thinking that I would like them to be seperate from each other. (It's just much easier to stay dry if I hang my tarp first or take it down last if it's raining) So I disconnected them from each other and that's what I do these days. Now on occasion I will connect them back together but it's only if the weather is calling for a really heavy downpour and I want the tarp as close to my hammock as I can get it so as to keep out the rain (my Clark tarp just does cover the ends of my hammock and you've got to set them up perfect to each other to make sure one end doesn't stick out) I much prefer having my tarp seperate from my hammock and I'm in the process of making a larger tarp so I don't have to worry so much about the ends of my hammock.
    TinaLouise

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Check out our Tarp Gallery. here you will see many different variations of how people hang tarps. Most of us hang the trap separate from the hammock like has been stated already. The main reason I do it this way is for foul weather pitching. I need to be able to pitch may tarp first, then I can do everything else while under the tarp staying dry.

I use a bigger tarp than 10 x 8, so you will need to practice to get everything just right to your liking. But generally with smaller tarps you will hang it closer to the hammock ridgeline during foul weather for better coverage. 10 x 8 is plenty of coverage for protection for most weather.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    DIY assym
    Tarp
    Cat analoq
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by whatnowmitch View Post
    And is the goal to have the tarp as taught as possible? Any input would be appreciated.
    Using a tensioners http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=3731

I used tarp suspention made from little biner and two 5 meters long straps(tried to made universal tarp as for ground and for hammocking)
    Last edited by Rosomaha; 01-22-2010 at 04:46.

• + New Posts