Tarp
    WB SF, UGQ WD13
    Insulation
    Z-Liner, 0 Zeplin
    Suspension
    Whoopiex2
    AWSOME!!!!!!!!!

I see myself doing this in the future..

Put a but of bird seed in it, bacon grease on the outside and hang it....

That should be a good Beta test for it...
    Last edited by firemedic5586; 03-29-2017 at 23:48.

Nice project. Gotta make myself one. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Great job. Was choking on the price of a new one. Off to the scrap yard.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Researched making my own from Kevlar fabric from eBay. In the end just bought an Ursack off Amazon. Would have preferred to save a little $$. But I like my new Ursack.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/JCP TQ
    Suspension
    WS/MSH
    Images
    I had a similar positive experience at the junkyard...they were happy to oblige for free. I had to cut out my own airbags, but they seem to fit the bill. Got some steering wheel, some passenger, and some curtain.

I noticed that the steering wheel airbag may make a good ursack on it's own without alteration....complete with holes around the top to thread a piece of amsteel or similar strong cordage.

I'll post when I've done something with them.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraZim View Post
    I understand, and in my disclaimer I mentioned the bear safety and to follow all local regulations. Even store bought Ursacks are not allowed in many areas.
    I'm glad that you understand. I just thought that it is important to educate folks on the limitations and possible consequences that are in effect when it comes to DIYing a Ursack. Unfortunately, I wrote far more citations for non-compliance with safe food storage regulations than any other during my career.

In addition, the lack of acceptance for using Ursacks is the direct consequences of improper use that resulted in failure. Failure of DIY ursacks may only exacerbate the lack of acceptance. I own a S29 to use in approved areas because they are much handier than hard containers. Albeit, I just can't get over my lifelong habit of hanging attractants (even in the Ursack) and using the "camping triangle" camp layout even in non-griz areas.

Hammock
    Grand Truck Skeeter Beater
    Tarp
    Kelty 12ft
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraZim View Post
    This is my first DIY, First forum post, so please forgive any faux pas and/or ambiguity in this.

I have generally lurked online and read many a forum on a wide variety of topics, and never really participated. But watching Shug's videos and reading the hammock forums here, I thought I would give it a try.

I wanted to protect my food from bears and other critters, but never wanted to lug the large hard sided containers about. I used the PCT hang method to protect the tasties, but finding a suitable branch could take some time. I saw an Ursack in a video, and it I knew it was what I wanted. Being frugal(pronounced "cheap") I balked at the $90 price tag. I knew the bag was made of a tough synthetic material like Kevlar, and knew where to get that for free. Used air bags. I happen to know of several collision repair shops, so I walked in and asked. And ended up with everything I could of wanted. I got a huge piece of multilayer Kevlar curtain airbag. It was coated with silicone rubber on both sides, so It was silicon/Kevlar/Kevlar/silicone. It was also bonded on the interior to make pockets for the bag. I tried separating the Kevlar layers, but there was no seam to unstitch, no adhesive to unbond, and my heat gun was ineffective.

The material itself proved very difficult to cut, puncture, and wouldn't melt with my heat gun (800° I use it to reflow solder). Yeah tough stuff, and waterproof. I decided to leave the 2 pieces together, it was tougher together anyway.
    Attachment 147862Attachment 147863Attachment 147864

Materials are:
    Curtain Airbag
    Upholstery or leather craft thread
    Sewing machine
    Scissors
    Synthetic rope (I used 10mm static climbing rope)

1. After trimming off the ragged pieces and metal tabs and combustion chambers I cut it into a rectangle.
    Attachment 147865

2. I then sewed a channel at the top for the cinching rope.
    Attachment 147866

3. I then folded the bag with the outside of the bag facing inward; I sewed around the outside of the bag, careful not to sew the rope channel shut. I haven't sewn since high school (back when we wore furs and hunted mammoths) and I learned a lesson on thread tension. I thought it was the machine, so I switched to my wife's industrial Juki, but nope, just get the tension right. (please excuse my poor sewing seam)

4. I inverted the bag so the right side was out and made another seam along the outer edge, again making sure not to sew the rope channel shut. This seam is for strength.
    Attachment 147867Attachment 147868Attachment 147869

5. I then threaded the 10mm static line through. Done
    Attachment 147870

Remember to tie the cinch with a double overhand and hang from tree with a square knot.

Afterward, I wanted to do some testing; I am not a small man and lift weights, but not a bear (but the closest bear analog I had). I tried tearing the bag, stood on one lip and using my hands, pulled on the other, I tried kicking the bottom out of the bag. The leather craft thread and the dual layer Kevlar was super tough and did not tear or deform.

Disclaimer: I am not a bear, nor has this bag been tested by a bear. I cannot claim this bag is bear proof or even bear resistant. I will come back and edit this post if the bag is attacked by a bear, and let you know. As always follow the local regulations concerning bear safety and food storage.

-UltraZim

"No matter where you go; There you are." -BB
    Is there a secret handshake or something when you visit these repair shops or do you just say "give some of dem Kevlar airbags". Seriously, how did you get it out of the vehicles in the first place?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HH Jungle Expedition
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HG EconIncubator 0
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by hollabi View Post
    Is there a secret handshake or something when you visit these repair shops or do you just say "give some of dem Kevlar airbags". Seriously, how did you get it out of the vehicles in the first place?

Nope, just walked in cold from the street and asked. They did ask what I wanted it for. They just gave me one, it did have a bunch of metal parts attached, but I used sissiors to cut them off. You can also find them in their dumpsters if you are so inclined.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
    -UltraZim

"No matter where you go; There you are." -BB

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/JCP TQ
    Suspension
    WS/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hollabi View Post

I called ahead. They were a bit amused, but told me that I could have any that I cut out myself. Utility scissors are your friend.

Hammock
    Clark NX270, 11ft DH Sparrow x2
    Tarp
    WB SF, UGQ WD13
    Insulation
    Z-Liner, 0 Zeplin
    Suspension
    Whoopiex2
    We cut up a few cars awhile back for training... I left with a few airbags..

FYI the prius has nice big side impact bags..

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast