Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I have found that polyester webbing, at least the kind that I take off of ratchet straps, has almost no stretch to it.
    BurningCedar, HC is right on the money, I use the polyester webbing from Strapworks as well and have had almost no stretching from it. But again, as others have said, you're probably getting a fair amount of initial fabric stretch out of the new hammock. Just be patient with it, follow some of the other ideas that folks have posted and soon you'll be in hammock nirvana. Welcome to the hanging gang, we're glad to have you aboard!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Thanks

Sorry -- I didn't mean to steal the post. But great info by all. I just finished the LONG post on the ring buckles and ordered the rings and biners from REI. Gonna order the poly straps from Strapworks next (thanks for the link Hooch).

I hadn't thought about stretch in the tree straps or the need to stretch the FULL length of the straps or rope. Good insights.

I've been lurking on the forums for about a month now -- lots of useful info for newbies like me. Plan to spend a lot of time here!

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BurningCedar View Post
    Thanks for the link Hooch.
    No sweat, just returning the favor from when I was a newbie around here. Sometimes, I still feel like I am. Anyway, as I'm sure you know, you'll get lots of good advice here, plenty of great ideas and plenty of spirited debate about the various aspects of hammocking.

When you order from Strapworks, you'll find that they have EXCELLENT customer service, fast shipping and your order is alway spot on. Good luck putting your ring buckles together and we'll expect photos as soon as you can.

Happy Hammocking!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Gonna order the poly straps from Strapworks next (thanks for the link Hooch).
    Don't forget that Strapworks does sewing on their products, too. If you need any loops or modifications to the webbing, they are happy to do so. Matter of fact, the last I ordered from them, I got some loops sewn in mine and it still shipped the same day. That's simply fantastic service, IMO.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Don't forget that Strapworks does sewing on their products, too. If you need any loops or modifications to the webbing, they are happy to do so. Matter of fact, the last I ordered from them, I got some loops sewn in mine and it still shipped the same day. That's simply fantastic service, IMO.
    I didn't know that. Absolutely, it's a great service to offer, who'da thunk it? Good intel for those who want to go to some other form of suspension other than the stock and either don't sew or don't know anyone who does. Thanks for bringing that up.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    ... But again, as others have said, you're probably getting a fair amount of initial fabric stretch out of the new hammock. ...
    Have a question about this that hopefully others can answer for me. This applies to hammocks with a structural ridge line only.

I have really been wondering about this stretching that people have been reporting.

I am having trouble understanding how the fabric stretching would cause the hang to get lower and then how simply tightening the suspension would eliminate the problem.

It seems to me that since the HH suspension is made of spectra which has very low to extremely low stretch, that would eliminate the suspension as the source of the problem. Also, I have measured the ridge line on my HH ULBA and never detected any difference in the length when hung.

That would leave 2 sources for the stretch: 1. the nylon fabric of the body of the hammock, and 2. the nylon tree huggers supplied by Hennessy. Both stretch.

I can understand how the tree huggers stretching lowers the hammock.

If the nylon fabric of the hammock body stretches, that would lower the bottom of the hammock, but then tightening the suspension would only pull the ridge line tighter, but would not affect the body fabric of the hammock. Since the body fabric of the hammock isn't affected, the only way to raise the bottom of the hammock because the hammock fabric stretched would be to raise the tree huggers on the tree.

So my problem is: why should re-tightening the suspension raise the hammock if the body fabric stretched?

It would seem that simply switching from the nylon tree huggers to polyester tree huggers would eliminate the stretch problem that re-tightening solves.

Am I missing something here????

Images
    no, your exactly right, tightening will only fix stretch of the straps. if that's not what is stretching, and its not the rope either, raising the straps is all you can do. all this does is get your arse off the ground perhaps, and will not affect the lay. there still may be more stretch and shoulder squeeze from a fabric that stretches alot more, and that is the characteristics of the fabric and there is not anything that will change that (setup wise).

Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Have a question about this that hopefully others can answer for me. This applies to hammocks with a structural ridge line only.

I have really been wondering about this stretching that people have been reporting.

I am having trouble understanding how the fabric stretching would cause the hang to get lower and then how simply tightening the suspension would eliminate the problem.

It seems to me that since the HH suspension is made of spectra which has very low to extremely low stretch, that would eliminate the suspension as the source of the problem. Also, I have measured the ridge line on my HH ULBA and never detected any difference in the length when hung.

That would leave 2 sources for the stretch: 1. the nylon fabric of the body of the hammock, and 2. the nylon tree huggers supplied by Hennessy. Both stretch.

I can understand how the tree huggers stretching lowers the hammock.

If the nylon fabric of the hammock body stretches, that would lower the bottom of the hammock, but then tightening the suspension would only pull the ridge line tighter, but would not affect the body fabric of the hammock. Since the body fabric of the hammock isn't affected, the only way to raise the bottom of the hammock because the hammock fabric stretched would be to raise the tree huggers on the tree.

So my problem is: why should re-tightening the suspension raise the hammock if the body fabric stretched?

It would seem that simply switching from the nylon tree huggers to polyester tree huggers would eliminate the stretch problem that re-tightening solves.

Am I missing something here????

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    That is great information to know. I'm gonna post this on the ring/buckle thread.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Sorry -- I didn't mean to steal the post. But great info by all. I just finished the LONG post on the ring buckles and ordered the rings and biners from REI. Gonna order the poly straps from Strapworks next (thanks for the link Hooch).

I hadn't thought about stretch in the tree straps or the need to stretch the FULL length of the straps or rope. Good insights.

I've been lurking on the forums for about a month now -- lots of useful info for newbies like me. Plan to spend a lot of time here!
    You'll be spending more time on here than you ever imagined>
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    That is great information to know. I'm gonna post this on the ring/buckle thread.
    I'm glad to know that people find that helpful. I really thought most here were aware of the service already, and I brought it up as a simple reminder.

From the Strapworks FAQ page:
    "Strapworks.com provides Custom Cutting and Sewing services for all of our webbing. Like our motto says "Any Size, Any Length, Any Color", we can do anything you need. Please notify us at [email protected] prior to placing your order and we will add the custom work and charge to your order when it is received."

When I got them to sew some loops for me, I ordered several different lengths, and they charged about $1 extra for each sewn loop. Not a bad price for a custom length strap that comes pre-sewn and ready to slip into either CC buckles or Ring buckles.

“I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast