Hammock
    DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies

Clark Vertex or SLD simplicity tarp for wet weather expected ?

I am a long time backpacker who planned an overnight using some new ultralight gear. The new pack is small (for me) and limited to the to the space and weight it will carry.

I bought a new Simply Light Designs Simplicity tarp to take due to its compact stuffed size and very light weight 7.5 oz. The vertex is about 10.5 feet long and 9 feet wide and it weighs 20 oz (it is huge).

So this leads to my first question. Even with its 19 oz weight I can accomplish my ultra light weight goal (under 20 pounds) for this trip with the Vertex. It is supposed to rain (5-7 mph maximum winds)and my destination (Gorges state park in NC) is classified as a temperate rain forest. Using the vertex, on the second day which is the expected rain day I can drop my hammock, stuff the tarp and and my quilts and invite my hiking buddies (tent campers) to sit under the tarp to cook breakfast. There's plenty of room for 3 of us. Would there be room under the Simplicity to do the same thing? I know its a much smaller tarp and that's why I bought it...but I just got it, have never set it up and have no feel for it.

Second question, I know the simplicity is smaller and may require a learning curve to stay dry (I have an 11 foot DIY hammock). Is a trip with a high chance of heavy rain a smart move using a smaller tarp you've never used. I'd like to use it and see what it will do in the rain but I don't get to go backpacking that often and I'd rather not be wet/miserable. I've been backpacking for 45 years and started as a tarp camper (I have some tarp skills) but I used to stay partly or maybe mostly by using a big tarp.

Just looking for opinions ....I'll be hanging in my hammock in two moons watching the sun set over Lake Jocassee.

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    If you are going to wet and windy then I'd go with a known tarp. If you can take both you have a fallback plan. Better overprepared than caught out.
    _____
    Forest Fires cause Smoky Bears

"For the ultimate light weight rig just sleep on the ground in the clothes you are wearing!"

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by AdventureMyk View Post
    If you are going to wet and windy then I'd go with a known tarp. If you can take both you have a fallback plan. Better overprepared than caught out.
    Agree to some extent. I honestly think the new one will be OK if I hang it low...but I don't want to risk ruining my trip. The new pack I'm trying out is 36 L. There's not enough room for one tarp much less two. I've got to strap the tarp on the outside to get room for it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Anybody have any idea why I get double threads? This website often logs me off while I'm writing the first post in a new thread. When I log back in my thread shows up twice.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    Agree to some extent. I honestly think the new one will be OK if I hang it low...but I don't want to risk ruining my trip. The new pack I'm trying out is 36 L. There's not enough room for one tarp much less two. I've got to strap the tarp on the outside to get room for it.
    If you are tying your tarp on top of your pack then you can use any sized tarp. I would not get a small one if I know windy rain is in the forecast.

Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    Anybody have any idea why I get double threads? This website often logs me off while I'm writing the first post in a new thread. When I log back in my thread shows up twice.
    I don't know but moved/removed the redundant post.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    If you are tying your tarp on top of your pack then you can use any sized tarp. I would not get a small one if I know windy rain is in the forecast.

I don't know but moved/removed the redundant post.

Thanks for removing the double thread.

You kind of missed the point of my post. I bought some new gear so I could try ultra lighting for an overnight. Since I have the new small tarp I would like to use it to see what it will do. The main point of the post was the question of whether an SLD simplicity is big enough for three guys to get underneath to eat breakfast in the rain. I've been backpacking for 45 years. I know that if tied outside my pack I can basically use any tarp bulk wise. Suggest that people read the questions in the initial post instead of responding to whatever the latest person has responded.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    it's not a huge tarp.

little over 11.5 feet across the ridgeline, then simple triangles of 4.5ish feet on each side? I'm sure you could stand under it np, but if it's your main shelter for 3 dudes? I'd probably stick with the vertex tarp

that being said, there's really only 1 way to find out

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    it's not a huge tarp.

little over 11.5 feet across the ridgeline, then simple triangles of 4.5ish feet on each side? I'm sure you could stand under it np, but if it's your main shelter for 3 dudes? I'd probably stick with the vertex tarp

that being said, there's really only 1 way to find out
    Not the main shelter, just a place to sit and eat breakfast in the rain before we break camp. My question was is it big enough for that? My hiking buddies are tent campers

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Took the vertex and stayed dry. It didn't rain hard until we broke camp, though. I think the simplicity would have worked under the circumstances but I didn't want to roll the dice and hope for a mild rain.

• + New Posts