WBBB XLC 1.7DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles

Inaugural overnight hang. Tyresta national park 170401-02

Here's a report and a few pictures from my first hang.

I have to confess that upon getting my WBBB XLC I managed to hang it indoors to see how it felt and, more importantly, figure out how to work things out with the pad.
    My first impression is that using a pad is more work than it is worth so I put in an order for an HG Incubator Econ 20.

Then came the weekend.
    I was hemming and hawwing as the weather was overcast and it was foggy and damp after the rain earlier in the week.

After some thought I walked outside and found it surprisingly warm (around 10c) so I quickly put my things together and headed to Tyresta.

Tyresta is a national park/reserve south of Stockholm. It isn't particularly big and quite popular for people who like to have a day out. It is also popular for overnighters and the camping spots usually gets filled fast.
    This was true as i arrived Saturday afternoon after a very short hike to Årsjön lake.
    I walked around a bit until I found a spot with a nice view, as luck would have it the clouds had disappeared and left me with some nice sunshine.

More importantly it had some good trees:

I quickly hung the hammock and then tried to get the proper lay as I adjusted, all without the pad for starters.

It wasn't really hard to find a good lay.
    I kept experimenting and I have to say that you quickly feel when you hit that sweet spot.
    A "problem" that arose was that each time I got comfy in the hammock I stayed in it longer and longer and just relaxed.

These quick hang tests also made me feel that dreaded CBS.

Although the sun was out and the forecast promised that there'd be no rain I still decided to hang my tarp.
    Partly as insurance, partly to practice.

Now I felt it was time for a break.
    Out came the kettle for a cup of tea from the hammock (another first).

After this I decided to fiddle around a bit with the tarp as it felt like I was doing something wrong.

View from the inside

I was correct.
    The Edge isn't an easy tarp for a beginner.

The first hang pictured was to low and I had it pulled to tight along the sides.
    Although you can't see it, it would've been better if I had had a meter or so more space between the trees to get that "V".

Out I went and redid it. After raising the tarp about 40cm and pulling the sides out so they were at an 120 degree angle did the trick.
    I was well covered and still had space.
    That said the Edge is a minimalist tarp that'll challenge me I feel. I have total confidence in it, I'll just have to be more careful about how and where I hang it as opposed to a bigger tarp.

Oh, not to forget: Dutch is a God amongst men. The Tarp Flyz I got as an afterthought makes tarp hanging so much easier.
    Then I had to put the pad in.
    I started cursing to myself as it turned out that my misgivings from that indoor trial hang had truth in it.
    What had been a good lay was turned on its head as the pad changed things completely. So I went to work.

First I deflated the pad a bit more and that helped a little.
    Then I fiddled with the hang of hammock.
    That also helped a little.
    Finally I deflated even more, wrestled with the position of the pad and laid down.
    It was ok. Nothing more.
    I was quite pleased with myself for already having ordered that UQ. I'm certain life will be easier with it.

As I went to sleep another problem reared its ugly head:
    If I didn't stay on the pad itself I got cold, in this case my left arm. I solved this by digging out my comfy backup fleece and putting it under my arm.

Then I slept like a baby.

So what are my conclusions after this first night:

Hammocking is better than I thought. Much, much better.
    I'm a stomach sleeper that sometime sleep on my side. I still had no problems falling asleep in a position best described as halwayy on my back, halfway on my side.
    There was no calf ridge or pinched shoulders, in fact the WBBB XLC feels huge, even when zipped shut, part of this is due to the pullouts of course.
    The storage shelf is a thing of beauty, anything I didn't need I dumped in there for easy access.
    Pads work. Probably better for some than others. I'll suffer through mine until my UQ arrives.
    Upon coming home I ordered snakeskins. That way I can hang my tarp and keep it ready to deploy while having it out of the way if the weather is nice.
    The Edge is a nice tarp, I think I need some practice with it to get the most out of it.

One thing I really liked is that it feels like less of a hurdle to get out of the hammock to adjust something or do something.
    Crawling out of the tent once you're in it always feels like a chore. Hanging I just got out and then got back in.
    Breakfast from the hammock is great as well.
    All in all it's many small things put together that is going to keep me hanging if I'm around trees and have me shelf the tent.

Looks like it'll be rain this weekend but I'm seriously thinking of going back out for another run.

Hammock
    WBBB-XLC
    Tarp
    WB-SuperFly
    Insulation
    WB-Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    congrats on a successful first night out! looks like a beautiful area to camp in; that view over the lake is breathtaking. i just got my first non-home-bound overnighter in my XLC done as well, agree with you on it being very comfortable and spacious. is yours a DL? i got a DL because i read that it makes using a pad a lot easier (and to support my weight ), though i haven't tried it yet; maybe that's why you were having a hard time with the pad.
    Home is behind, the world ahead, and there are many paths to tread...

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Glad to hear that your first outdoor hang in an XLC went well. My first outdoor hang is coming up this Friday and Saturday night. Can't wait. I have an XLC DL and a Ridgerunner DL and decided to get the full-length Wooki UQ for the XLC and the full-length Lynx UQ for the RR. Definitely a buy once/cry once moment, but I'll be happy in the long run, I'm sure.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Mac-Gear / HG / LL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    +1 on the snakes skins. I have the Hennessy ones and some custom built single ones. I like both, which works well because I now have two tarps. I always deploy the tarp here in Alabama, where the humidity average seems to always be in the 80% to 90% range, for dew control.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by nathwill View Post
    congrats on a successful first night out! looks like a beautiful area to camp in; that view over the lake is breathtaking. i just got my first non-home-bound overnighter in my XLC done as well, agree with you on it being very comfortable and spacious. is yours a DL? i got a DL because i read that it makes using a pad a lot easier (and to support my weight ), though i haven't tried it yet; maybe that's why you were having a hard time with the pad.
    Thanks, the place isn't ig nut it is a beautiful area..
    I got a DL for the same reasons you did ( ) and to keep mosquitoes off me when they arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Watertooner View Post
    Glad to hear that your first outdoor hang in an XLC went well. My first outdoor hang is coming up this Friday and Saturday night. Can't wait. I have an XLC DL and a Ridgerunner DL and decided to get the full-length Wooki UQ for the XLC and the full-length Lynx UQ for the RR. Definitely a buy once/cry once moment, but I'll be happy in the long run, I'm sure.
    Cool, as I'm late in replying I'll go look for your trip report.
    From my experience this far you won't be diappointed with the hammock. From the craftmanship of these cottage firms you can't be anything but impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by rick417 View Post
    +1 on the snakes skins. I have the Hennessy ones and some custom built single ones. I like both, which works well because I now have two tarps. I always deploy the tarp here in Alabama, where the humidity average seems to always be in the 80% to 90% range, for dew control.
    Good to hear your view on the snakeskins.
    I'd melt in that humidity

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Congrats on the equipment and getting out there. I'm with you on pads, they are so much work getting right and more importantly keeping them in the right spot. You'll love that new quilt. Beautiful area and thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Xenon Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    UKham. Winter UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing / Buckles
    Hey there! Nice to see some fellow "Stockholmians" here!

Fun fact : I was at Tyresta the weekend before you (25-26th of march)
    with a couple of friends and tried out my newly purchased WBBB!!

We slept near a windshelter at the northern part of "Långsjön"!

But i think me and Moski were at "Årsjön" several years ago when
    we did a quick Easter-hang with our Exped Ergo´s...
    ----------------------------------------------------

Phase 1 : Buy Hammock.
    Phase 2 : ... ... ...
    Phase 3 : Profit!

• + New Posts