Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Observations and questions

I just spent my first full night in a hammock. Some observations... It was a perfect night, moon shining on me, owls hooting. I slept better than I do in a tent. No aches. I had to sleep on my back for the most part, which is new for me, but I did it. Butt stayed warm so long as I was on my pad, got down to 41 last night. Woke because a bird landed on my Ridgeline, what a nice way to wake up! but not everything is perfect. I destroyed my toggles in my Marlin Spike hitches. My hammock fell with me in it early in the night. My woopie slings were very hard to adjust with even a small amount of weight in the hammock (sleeping bag and pad).

Questions. Are sinch buckles going to be easier to adjust and/or more secure than woopies? What is the weight difference between woopies and sinch buckles?

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly, HG DCF
    Insulation
    EE HG AHE
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    Remember to put the whoopie sling on the knot, not the actual toggle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers

Observations and questions

Quote Originally Posted by -Sawg View Post
    I destroyed my toggles in my Marlin Spike hitches. My hammock fell with me in it early in the night. My woopie slings were very hard to adjust with even a small amount of weight in the hammock (sleeping bag and pad).

Questions. Are sinch buckles going to be easier to adjust and/or more secure than woopies? What is the weight difference between woopies and sinch buckles?
    A question, you did put your whoopie's on the knot and not the toggles? The knot is what bears the weight from the hammock, only a compressive force is exerted on the toggles. If you places the whoppies on the toggles, this would explain both the difficulty in adjusting the Whoopies as well as the eventual failure.

I think that Cinch buckles and whoopies are equally easy to adjust. The difference is that you are eliminating the Amsteel and using the webbing instead. Webbing is heavier per foot then Amsteel. You can always check out UCR's.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    +1 on the ucr's. This is a great way to eliminate the tension problem with whoopie slings. And to second what others have said: the toggle should never hold the weight of the hammock, the knot should.

Hammock
    DH Freebird or Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    OMW/Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20F Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Varied
    Images
    [QUOTE=-Sawg;1769587.... My woopie slings were very hard to adjust with even a small amount of weight in the hammock (sleeping bag and pad).
    ....[/QUOTE]

I use both cinch bugs(not buckles) and whoopie slings at different times and seem to go back and forth on which I use. One thing I do with the slings is to tuck the hammock end under my armpit when adjusting the slings. This let's me relieve the pressure and have both hands available to adjust the slings. Sort of obvious, I know, but I didn't see it for a number of hangs!
    Hobo Off The Ground All Year Round: 8 7
    consecutive months since the start, 9/2015 through 11/2022

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    RE: adjusting the whoopies- because of their design it will always be difficult to adjust when loaded with weight. I can typically adjust mine with an empty hammock but once you add quilts it becomes more difficult. As stated above, the armpit maneuver is effective.

RE: toggle- also as stated above repeat this mantra: place your slings on the knot and not the toggle. I've used some pretty "punky" (i.e. soft) sticks as toggles before and they worked.

That said with just a slight variation in your knot, you can eliminate the toggle altogether. I've hung without a toggle for several months now. Here's a video I did on the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eNjkroTjyQ

Either way know that your problems have answers and that with just a little more experience you'll be hanging ground-less and fancy free!

I hung them on the knot, not the toggle, but looks like it slipped or was crushed as the tension increased

Hammock
    WBBB dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly/Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Strap or Whoopies
    Every time I hang up my hammock, I have Shug echoing in my head - "on the knot, not on the toggle." I think I watched his Intro videos too much.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly, HG DCF
    Insulation
    EE HG AHE
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    Quote Originally Posted by -Sawg View Post
    I hung them on the knot, not the toggle, but looks like it slipped or was crushed as the tension increased
    I've used carbon fiber arrow shafts as toggles and they were crushed one night. I switched to carabiners after that as the toggles

Hammock
    HHBPUL, DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy Tar
    Insulation
    Exped 9 DLX
    Suspension
    Big Butt Whoopies
    What did you use for the toggles? I have crushed punky wood in my MSH. Good sound sticks, tent pegs, nails and even used a screwdriver in a pinch, all with good results.
    Hangin' High and Dry

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast